The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-27-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Default NAD Just ordered this REVV D 20

,I just now found and ordered this Limited Run, Red REVV D 20 tube Amp head
It is basically a 20 watt (2 6V6 ) switchable to 4 watt. But with Two Notes cab simulation and speaker load built in
So you can run it as a straight 20 watt tube amp head, or you can skip a physical speaker cab and use one of the tweakable 6 preset cab sims or download and select up to 128 different emulations all adjustable as well as selection of different virtual tubes ,,,, and run direct to front of house live , or into a DAW for recording, or just use the Headphone out for silent practice

I will be paring it with this Port City Amps 2 X 12 vertical cabinet I just ordered also Guess my Christmas is covered
with a mix of one WGS Veteran 30 , and one WGS ET65 speakers ( been looking at Port City cabs and amps for couple years now and am really excited)

I will review and post photos once they arrive, unfortunately the Port City Cab is 30 days out

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-27-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:43 PM

The looks sweet. I use Torpedo cab emulations in my DAW from time to time and they sound really good and are very tweakable.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 11-27-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
The looks sweet. I use Torpedo cab emulations in my DAW from time to time and they sound really good and are very tweakable.
Good to know thanks.

Just got a text from REVV they are shipping it today, that was fast

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 11-27-2019, 02:36 PM

Congratulations on a versatile new amp day! It should sound great https://youtu.be/YibsG8FiLuw
Old 11-27-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Congratulations on a versatile new amp day! It should sound great https://youtu.be/YibsG8FiLuw
Thanks for the link I have watched a bunch of Youtube videos since it came out last year at NAMM , including this fairly extensive one by Shawn Tubbs below.

Also I notice the Keisel in your sig line How do you like the quality and finish ? I am considering the new Keisel Johnny Highland Signature Tele style.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-27-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I know you’ve been researching them for a while. My son loves the Revv line. He’s been using a G4 dirt pedal on his live board. It sounds really, really good. He’s been researching the amps as well.

Side note, he ordered a Keisel a month and a half ago. He’s anxiously awaiting its arrival. I think it’s down to the 2 weeks or sooner mark now. We’ve watched nothing but Keisel videos the last few weeks lol. Looks like a pretty impressive company.

I’ll post pics of it once it arrives.

Please keep us posted on the Revv and the Port City.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 11-27-2019, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Saw your reference to the REV D20 in the recent Supro post, then googled it, and there you were getting info on Gearslutz. Was really impressed by the Shawn Tubbs video. Hope it arrives soon - and am waiting for your review. Looks like a really sweet amp.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 11-27-2019, 08:05 PM

Wow, glad I stopped to read this thread. This amp looks very interesting. Please do post a review when you can.

You were wondering about Kiesel guitars. Kiesel is the old Carvin guitar shop. I have two Carvins (pre-Kiesel): an H2 Holdsworth and a headless HH2 Holdsworth that is similar to Song's guitar. They are fantastic. The H2 in particular is a "never sell, bury it with me" guitar. Fit and finish is great and they are a lot of instrument for the dollar(s). If I needed another electric, I would look at Kiesel first.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-28-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Also I notice the Keisel in your sig line How do you like the quality and finish ? I am considering the new Keisel Johnny Highland Signature Tele style.
I'm listening to Shawn spank that puppy right now. Love that guy! Man that amp is the very definition of tubed versatility.
I'm a Kiesel fanboy. I've bought 7 builds, some of them gift builds for friends.
So yeah I think they're quality and finishes are excellent.
And once I tried a headless electric I was sold.
Johnny Hiland used to have a PRS signature model. Now he has a Kiesel.
https://youtu.be/ZBGQMn5Nkc8
Old 11-28-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated . Yes I will try to do a good review. Revv has been outstanding on communication so far, they just messaged me again, it is supposed to be here Friday (but with this winter storm we will see) In any case the REVV will be here long before the Speaker which being a "build to order" is 30 days out on lead time. But they were also having a Black Friday 15% sale so I jumped on that as well.
Port City Amplification is a small boutique builder of amps (very traditional type tube amps) and his own patented Wave Cabinets. Although not well known they do tend to get rave reviews .

But I do have a Supro 1X12 Extension Cab, I will be using as soon as he amp gets here. Which I will then compare to the Port City when it arrives.

Yes I have been looking at this amp since Jan. NAMM 2019 and decided to jump on the 15% Black Friday discount and this limited run in Red.
Bright Red and Black happen to be our colors, started with Horse show & Ranch colors, (back when we were showing horses) and includes our truck, horse trailer striping, and our cars , as well as my avatar ! one of my wifes color pencil originals , (I know kinda weird but works for us )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-28-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Here are some quick videos of the Port City cabs and amps, both of these are the the flagship model 2 X 12 OS (oversize) Vertical Wave (reported to be close to 4 X12 output and presence in much smaller and lighter cabinet) . I opted for the smaller and 11 lbs lighter @ 47 lbs regular size , 2X12 Vertical Wave.

Tom Quail

This one on Viemo is from the Port City website

https://vimeo.com/133866901

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-28-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Wow, glad I stopped to read this thread. This amp looks very interesting. Please do post a review when you can.

You were wondering about Kiesel guitars. Kiesel is the old Carvin guitar shop. I have two Carvins (pre-Kiesel): an H2 Holdsworth and a headless HH2 Holdsworth that is similar to Song's guitar. They are fantastic. The H2 in particular is a "never sell, bury it with me" guitar. Fit and finish is great and they are a lot of instrument for the dollar(s). If I needed another electric, I would look at Kiesel first.
Gordon, I'm glad you stopped in. Always great to hear about Carvin/Kiesel. I've never played one before but I've always been interested. I'm assuming that your Holdsworth has the Holdsworth pickups? How are they?

Kev - Congrats! I'm not familiar with REVV. Are they a boutique builder?

Last edited by KevWind; 11-28-2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: meant to quote not edit
Old 11-28-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Gordon, I'm glad you stopped in. Always great to hear about Carvin/Kiesel. I've never played one before but I've always been interested. I'm assuming that your Holdsworth has the Holdsworth pickups? How are they?

Kev - Congrats! I'm not familiar with REVV. Are they a boutique builder?
I guess you could call them a boutique builder. They are a Canadian Company that has a small but loyal following, and have apparently made some inroads among Nashville Session players. There has been some posts about them on The Gear Page and Gear Slutz (which is where I first saw them mentioned last winter).

So while searching Youtube for info on the embedded Two Notes Torpedo unit and the software. I came across this video and was taken by all the REVV amps and cabs sitting behind this guy

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-28-2019 at 08:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars