The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 08:43 PM

Default New MARTIN went BOOM off the UPS Truck 12/6 Update

I shipped a guitar back to LA Guitar Sales after a 72 hr approval. Great guitar but it didn’t find its way into my heart. I shipped it with insurance for the $2700 value. It made it there in MOSTLY one piece. I shipped it the same container and packaging that it came from in the Martin factory to LA Guitar Sales and to my home.

I began the claims process with UPS. They will take a look at it and inspect it and make a determination. Ted at LA Guitar said this has only happened three times in 10 years of shipping thousands of guitars.

Given the details, what do you think will be the result?

A. They write me a check for $2700.
B. They say “Sorry, this package wasn’t packed to our industry standards.
C. Is there a “C” option?

12/6 Update:
In a nutshell, I have the guitar. It was shipped back to me by UPS because it was refused by LA Guitar due to the obvious signs of a big impact. The case was cracked at the lower bought. The guitar inside shows no signs of damage from the outside. One could say that the case did it's job. Problem is that the guitar was being returned to the store for a full refund and now I don't get that refund due to possible damage to the guitar. I have been asked to provide statements to the potential loss in value or repair costs that I cannot determine. Jump ahead:
I just faxed Claim forms and other purchase and shipping documentation to Crawford and Company in Virginia who will be evaluating/investigating to accept or deny my claim. Now, this seems to be the third step in this story. Originally, I was working with a rep in Fort Worth, Texas. I sent in pics and answered some general questions. The rep has moved my case on. I don't take it as good or bad news necessarily but it is moving forward. My total claim is for $2857. The cost of the guitar and the return shipping back to the store and when they charged my credit card with the return trip of the guitar to back to me. It's been 6 to 7 weeks since this all started. I have patience.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful

Last edited by Vancebo; 12-06-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Update
Old 10-22-2019, 08:46 PM

Don’t worry about it. You should be covered.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear that. The cynic in me says they will do everything they can to deny your claim, but I hope I'm wrong.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 10-22-2019, 08:48 PM

There is a "C" option... They offer to pay for "repairs" and you have to fight them because you're not in physical control of the guitar anymore. Or they may deem it belongs to the store and value it at wholesale as they won't cover "consequential damages" including loss off opportunity. It all depends on who is working the claim at UPS who they think holds title, etc. Claims agents can make things simple or very complicated.
How much damage was done to the guitar?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-22-2019, 08:49 PM

UPS generally has very good customer service. Hopefully they will write you the check. If not, I would definitely take it to a small claims court
Old 10-22-2019, 08:53 PM

So ultimately what happened? How damaged is it?
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:57 PM

If you insured it you will not have any problem getting your money back. I had a pair of speakers I shipped that got damaged and I received a check for the full amount. It might take them a little bit to get your check but it should come.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

My question is what is the extent of the damage and how specifically did it occur. Did it literally fall off the truck? As for who owned the guitar at the moment of impact, I would assume that until Ted refunded the $2700, the guitar still belonged to the OP...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-22-2019, 09:14 PM

It's UPS. "B"
Old 10-22-2019, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

In my experience with UPS, a substantial claim will usually be challenged and denied as a matter of course. The usual reason given is insufficient packaging.
What you need to stay focused on is that you:

Quote:
shipped it the same container and packaging that it came from in the Martin factory to LA Guitar Sales and to my home.
That is solid proof that it was adequately packed, and any damage could only have been caused by extreme negligence and mistreatment.

If they only want to pay for repairs, stay firm that you purchased a new guitar, and that any repairs will not only decrease the value, but can't be guaranteed to make the guitar as good as new.

Good luck!
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 10-22-2019, 09:33 PM

I asked "OOPS" about the idea that Martin ships with their normal top and bottom supports, and was told that is not considered "sufficient packaging"...

Humorous.

So now I add foam panels front and back, plus foam supports near the top of the neck, and newspaper filling throughout in additional to the Martin cardboard, to ensure the UPS gorillas (and I worked in packing trucks there some years back and know how absolutely nothing is treated carefully) have less of a chance of breaking fragile items.

Actually, I never ship via UPS anymore. FedEx all the way.

But I hope you have a successful outcome!

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 10-22-2019, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesenberg View Post
It's UPS. "B"
There may be more truth to this than not. A few years ago when shipping a guitar I was told at a UPS retail location that they would not insure instruments (and other fragile items) in re-used shipping containers/boxes. I’d add though if they accepted your package and gave u insurance you’ve got a good case.

Either way I think the most important thing is to GET LA GUITARS INVOLVED in the discussion w UPS! You and I are insignificant to UPS, but LA Guitars is a big customer.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:52 PM

Thanks for all the responses. UPS is sending a guy to LA Guitar tomorrow to pick up the package to take it in for inspection. We’ll see what happens. I figure that insurance is insurance. That should cover it. After all, what else is insurance for? Being a used box has me worried a bit. Ted also sent me pics of the damage but I did not see the damage to the guitar. There was no pic of that. The case is cracked at the seam along the top edge of the lid.

I am sure I will have to keep calm for a couple of days before I find out.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 10-22-2019, 11:42 PM

I'll say B claim denied !!! They hate to pay !!! I hope it's A, but that little devil is saying no no no !!!
Old 10-22-2019, 11:50 PM

You stated it went "boom? off the UPS truck". If they dropped it or mis-handled it, you should be reimbursed up to the amount you insured it for. In the many, many guitars I've shipped, I've only had one damaged. They put a fork-lift fork through it. Obviously no matter how it was packaged, it would have been damaged. They paid quickly. Another great reason to have private insurance. With an all-inclusive policy on all your instruments this would be covered without question.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion