The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-27-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Great tip!! Anything that makes stringing these beasts easier!!

I’ve got a pretty good system down now...but in the beginning it was quite the frustration. And I LIKE restringing, cleaning, etc.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 11-27-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
...The seller neglected to include the hardshell case that they claimed came with the guitar, so they just refunded me the $120 for that. Time to shop for a nice case for this lovely instrument.
Here's what I'm using for my 5622 - looks almost exactly like those '50s Gretsch "Western" cases (and a whole lot cheaper than the $500 factory reissue - if you can find one):
https://www.zzounds.com/item--GATGWJM335

Old 11-27-2019, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I'm thinking about grabbing one of these:

https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/...022670329.html

https://www.guitarfetish.com/PREMIUM...-_p_11290.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/msd/d/...025242600.html
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 11-27-2019, 10:24 PM

I'd avoid the first two - I owned the RR case when I had a Gretsch E-matic G5123B bass (similar to the current 5440 but medium-scale) and it's kinda cheaply-made and flimsy-feeling, not designed for anything but light-duty use; by the same token the Guitar Fetish XV-900/910 is designed to look like a vintage-style case but even in the photos lacks the quality of the Gator (note three latches rather than four - a definite no-no for a 7+ pound electric - and the thin vinyl covering reminds me of '60s ConTact wallpaper). At $100 the Gator flight case has possibilities: should be durable and protective enough in all but the harshest situations - just make sure all the latches are functional - but it's also going to be bulky and likely heavier than you'd expect (back in the mid-80's Gibson used a similar design as their OEM case for the '61 SG reissue, so I speak from personal experience), so take that into consideration...
Old 11-28-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'd avoid the first two - I owned the RR case when I had a Gretsch E-matic G5123B bass (similar to the current 5440 but medium-scale) and it's kinda cheaply-made and flimsy-feeling, not designed for anything but light-duty use; by the same token the Guitar Fetish XV-900/910 is designed to look like a vintage-style case but even in the photos lacks the quality of the Gator (note three latches rather than four - a definite no-no for a 7+ pound electric - and the thin vinyl covering reminds me of '60s ConTact wallpaper). At $100 the Gator flight case has possibilities: should be durable and protective enough in all but the harshest situations - just make sure all the latches are functional - but it's also going to be bulky and likely heavier than you'd expect (back in the mid-80's Gibson used a similar design as their OEM case for the '61 SG reissue, so I speak from personal experience), so take that into consideration...
Thanks Steve, I'll proceed with caution. I'll snoop out that zzsounds case. I can also get the TKL Gretsch case that GC sells for around $100 or so this weekend.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks Steve, I'll proceed with caution. I'll snoop out that zzsounds case. I can also get the TKL Gretsch case that GC sells for around $100 or so this weekend.
The Gretch Economy case. MF normally have it at $129, so $100 is a good price. Made by TKL. Decent, with three latches, three hinges, flat lid with foam padding over the strings, foam padding covering entire back and sides area, and extra foam under the heel. Perfect fit for my G5420.

Haven't seen the deluxe case, but it has an arched lid that's normally stronger than a flat lid.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post
The Gretch Economy case. MF normally have it at $129, so $100 is a good price. Made by TKL. Decent, with three latches, three hinges, flat lid with foam padding over the strings, foam padding covering entire back and sides area, and extra foam under the heel. Perfect fit for my G5420. Haven't seen the deluxe case, but it has an arched lid that's normally stronger than a flat lid.
Thumbs up on that. I have the Economy and it’s very nice and very sturdy. No frills but it protects and secures the guitar very well. Got mine for $100 from Sweetwater.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 11-30-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post
The Gretsch Economy case. MF normally have it at $129, so $100 is a good price. Made by TKL. Decent, with three latches, three hinges, flat lid with foam padding over the strings, foam padding covering entire back and sides area, and extra foam under the heel. Perfect fit for my G5420.

Haven't seen the deluxe case, but it has an arched lid that's normally stronger than a flat lid.
FYI TKL markets several cosmetic variations on this design, for use as OEM "factory" cases for entry-level guitars (my Martin 15/16-Series instruments came in the same case, with a green lining); OK for light-duty use with a lightweight acoustic, but for an electric - especially one that's going to see regular gigging like my own 5622 - IME I'd feel more secure with both an arched top and another latch or two...
Old 12-13-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Alrighty folks, I have been missing Gretsch chatter around here.

I've had the Gretsch a couple of weeks. 5422T for those who don't want to scroll through this monster thread.

Oh my. I absolutely love it. I switched out the spring for a Reverend spring. Funny how such a simple mod makes such a difference. I'm playing it through my HX Effects.

I wonder if I need to adjust the bridge pickup. I know it will always be lower output than the neck, but it is almost half volume, to my ear.

Beautiful guitar, gorgeous tones. Thanks again for everyone's help
Line 6 Helix.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
...I wonder if I need to adjust the bridge pickup. I know it will always be lower output than the neck, but it is almost half volume, to my ear...
You need to adjust both pickups for balance - you might need to remove the pickguard to access the treble side mounting screws (IME I'd start here rather than play with the polepieces - one of the advantages over the vintage Brooklyn mounting scheme, BTW), but it shouldn't be any more difficult than with any other electric...

I also notice that you bought this instrument used; while Gretsch QC is easily the highest in this price bracket there's always the occasional clunker - suffice it to say this is the first such problem I've heard about with the Korean E-matics - and it's entirely possible that there may be issues with the bridge pickup (the "half volume" assessment doesn't sound quite right to me). If the aforementioned adjustments don't work I'd bring it to a tech to have it checked out, and if things don't work out and your return privileges are still in effect I'd seriously consider using them...

Let us know how it goes - I'll be happy to assist...
Old 12-13-2019, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Below is a great website with some “standard” settings for Gretsch guitars. Of course personal preference varies but this should help get you in the ballpark. As Steve said, adjusting the pickups should help. No need to dive into the pickup pole pieces as of yet.

Most guitars come from the factory needing some sort of tweak, but it’s nice when you can save yourself some cash and handle some of it on your own.

http://gretschpages.com/news/mals-bi...oubleshooting/
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 12-13-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Below is a great website with some “standard” settings for Gretsch guitars. Of course personal preference varies but this should help get you in the ballpark. As Steve said, adjusting the pickups should help. No need to dive into the pickup pole pieces as of yet.

Most guitars come from the factory needing some sort of tweak, but it’s nice when you can save yourself some cash and handle some of it on your own.

http://gretschpages.com/news/mals-bi...oubleshooting/
Brilliant, guys, thanks. I'll work on it tomorrow.

Loving the blacktop pickups, by the way. They're magnificent.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Couldn’t agree more. I have both BT and Hi’lo’s, which are pretty sweet too. Both seem to really love being overdriven. ����

Oh, btw, you will have to take the pickguard off to adjust the single screw for pickup height on the Treble side. If you remove the screw/spacer on the body and the 2 screws on the bottom of the guitar that’ll give you access. You don’t need to remove the screw on the lower part of the guard. Doing that means you have to readjust the guard.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars