The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-22-2019, 12:07 PM

I also own a 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded. I have swapped out the BB Pros for a custom set of PAFs and vintage wiring. The guitar feels fantastic to play and now sounds as good as any LP STD.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
I also own a 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded. I have swapped out the BB Pros for a custom set of PAFs and vintage wiring. The guitar feels fantastic to play and now sounds as good as any LP STD.
Sweet. What's the custom set?
Old 10-25-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet. What's the custom set?
They are Monty's PAFs. Worth the money IMHO. The middle position now gives me a fat sounding Tele bite. They are outstanding.
https://www.montysguitars.com/collec...paf-pickup-set

https://youtu.be/HTdcl-2Nkb0

Last edited by joebloggs; 10-25-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:03 AM

I'm fortunate enough to own two Gibson Les Pauls. A Studio and a Traditonal. The Studio has 490R/490T pickups and the Traditional (2014) has 59 Tribute humbuckers although they seem to have only made them, at least with that name, for a couple of years. The Traditional has all the binding and is noticeably heavier with a more robust neck. Although they sound different, they both sound like Les Pauls. I don't think you're sacrificing a lot of sound with the studio, generally no binding.

I toured the Gibson factory in Memphis a few years ago. They generally make hollow and semi-hollow body guitars there. There was a room full of folks with razor blades scraping paint off of binding. I asked the guide why they didn't just mask the binding before spraying and was told that doing that didn't work well. I guess that's at least some of the extra cost when getting an LP with binding.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:27 AM

Throbak 101’s and 50’s wiring did my LP Limited a world of good.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:21 PM

This one sounds and plays

as good as this one

and on some days this one is better than both.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ville Brent View Post
I'm fortunate enough to own two Gibson Les Pauls. A Studio and a Traditonal. The Studio has 490R/490T pickups and the Traditional (2014) has 59 Tribute humbuckers although they seem to have only made them, at least with that name, for a couple of years. The Traditional has all the binding and is noticeably heavier with a more robust neck. Although they sound different, they both sound like Les Pauls. I don't think you're sacrificing a lot of sound with the studio, generally no binding.

I toured the Gibson factory in Memphis a few years ago. They generally make hollow and semi-hollow body guitars there. There was a room full of folks with razor blades scraping paint off of binding. I asked the guide why they didn't just mask the binding before spraying and was told that doing that didn't work well. I guess that's at least some of the extra cost when getting an LP with binding.
Gibson tends to get a lot of flak on their pickups but I like them a lot. The 490R/490T is a great combo (my studio has the 490R/498T, which is a hotter set). The 57 classics are well respected too. I haven't played the new 59s yet.

Thanks for the info on the paint/binding. I didn't know that. Guessing that pulling the tape up could potentially pull up some paint too?
Old 12-01-2019, 02:12 PM

I've got an Alpine White 2013 Studio and I really love it. Has a nice weight at 8.08 lb. Great feel, tone, and playability with this one. I picked this one out of four others offered at the time, at Sam Ash. It was definitely the pick of the litter.

It's got the coil-tapped 490/498 pickups - and while they aren't my preferred pickups, they do sound good in this one, so they're staying.

It's got the granadillo fretboard, but mine has one of the darker granadillo boards.

Here are the specs taken off the Gibson site:

Mahogany body with Solid Carved Maple top
Mahogany neck with slim, fast ™60s-style profile
Coil-tapped 490R and 498T humbucking pickups in the neck and bridge
Tune-o-matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece
TonePros vintage style tuners with 16:1 tuning ratio
Includes Gibson hardshell case

Last edited by Beachrunner; 03-27-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
I've got an Alpine White 2013 Studio and I really love it. Has a nice weight at 8.08 lb. Great feel, tone, and playability with this one. I picked this one out of four others offered at the time, at Sam Ash. It was definitely the pick of the litter.

It's got the coil-tapped 490/498 pickups - and while they aren't my preferred pickups, they do sound good in this one, so they're staying.

It's got the granadillo fretboard, but mine has one of the darker granadillo boards.

Here are the specs taken off the Gibson site:

Mahogany body with Solid Carved Maple top
Mahogany neck with slim, fast ™60s-style profile
Coil-tapped 490R and 498T humbucking pickups in the neck and bridge
Tune-o-matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece
TonePros vintage style tuners with 16:1 tuning ratio
Includes Gibson hardshell case

<<snippet pic>>

<<snippet pic>>
What a beautiful Les Paul! Sometime special about a white or creme Les Paul (or SG). My wine red Studio has the 490R/498T and I like them - great for hard rock and metal. 498T is probably a little too hot for mostly cleaner stuff.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What a beautiful Les Paul! Sometime special about a white or creme Les Paul (or SG). My wine red Studio has the 490R/498T and I like them - great for hard rock and metal. 498T is probably a little too hot for mostly cleaner stuff.
Thanks, Dru.

Yeah, the Alpine White finish on this one is blindingly white (which I love), and it should yellow up some with age, but it's still pretty white after 6 years!

You are spot on with the verdict on the 498's. Great for gain and the hard stuff, but not so great with cleans.

I've got an SG and a 335 w/ 57's for those cleans, though!
Old 12-01-2019, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

I found this very interesting...specifically how it relates to Epiphone/Gibson.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u0I5Xc1rk-c

Having owned Les Paul’s in various forms I can add that wiring (pots, caps, switches, jacks, and even the wire used) greatly affects tone (this isn’t limited to just LP’s). Typically higher end guitars get better quality wiring. Of course they also can have better pickups, tuners, nut, saddle, etc...but wiring is often underestimated. Quality wiring and a 50’s wiring schematic on a LP are a must. And, those two items alone greatly effect the tone.

Typically upgrading those items costs around $100 (parts). I’ve done it MANY times. If you can solder, read a wiring diagram, and have some time... these are easily attainable upgrades that can be done without paying a luthier. And, imho should be done before ever considering swapping pickups. Many pickups aren’t as bad as they may seem...if they’re adjusted properly.

What does all of that mean? Well, in my experience, and imho, you can easily have a quality LP for FAR less than the price of a Standard. I’ve said it before, and it’s worth repeating...I believe a person should buy a guitar blindfolded and base purchases off of feel, tone, and comfort. I think many would be shocked to find that they prefer a “lower priced/valued” model. Sometimes our eyes lead us when in all reality, our ears and hands should have the ultimate say.

Just my opinion. Ymmv, etc.

Enjoy your new LP. Sounds like you’ve got a great guitar.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 12-01-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:53 AM

Every Studio, especially models after 2010 have had bad, muddy sounding pickups. Unnecessarily heavy and clunky, they're usually losers.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ville Brent View Post
There was a room full of folks with razor blades scraping paint off of binding. I asked the guide why they didn't just mask the binding before spraying and was told that doing that didn't work well. I guess that's at least some of the extra cost when getting an LP with binding.
Could be urban legend, and maybe you learned about this in your tour..

I have heard that to be properly trained to install and complete the binding work at Gibson, it's like a 2 year apprentice ship the builders have to go through until they are able to handle it on their own.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Every Studio, especially models after 2010 have had bad, muddy sounding pickups. Unnecessarily heavy and clunky, they're usually losers.
Thank you for your very knowledgable Gibson Les Paul Studio expertise.

I will immediately be throwing mine in the trash now since they are such disgusting instruments.

So I am really glad that I read your post. I would have stupidly just kept on enjoying mine for years to come, had I not read your very informed opinion. Thanks again!
Old 12-03-2019, 04:08 PM

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9orlQ7AcgovjMMV3G9uQN6Qs6sx-qpfYV1WCnCZvztWtwJbpAD76-CzZVaYeu2MFxIcjQEzIJokBu8JgVoLRS8Oo4lAv3QnvGKNn-S_YdLBhS9qK7qg0Nbg-0q8NeyeNrunyePvwwegO9js6ri2SFqdqLxY8BP95tJ4yp69zNA 8BgVndfvzM8wDUu9M8meTAV8bVwM-UThNVAWcZ7aRKnvP58gkRqKIKI1_7H7WuiVD7UC9EJmMcGgrDi PXLSMZixX7pFwR6xBE5RizzM6-tl9yb89IX9xp3yaPbKnAnCzJ-nwtiFRYViS4f0aA_GqIIzu9_b-IT3m7pMZyeQqxPeIF1te9NV3k8r-drQGKgIzRI59-z2l1BLzk-kL3c58aVHTXnwUlfCR_Tge0wVO1bdgrHXqFZP9gQuxbxFwhHf0 sVwtBYZeJcb1jy9nYPF2SriJGHx0s5bql9L1xBWH44Ba-3BM8SUp28gHpGgaepsVhjewW1QfBlPduq-EamB5RSMHk_aM_bDW3OHAU8e5yRCXtcJUdjMCfYWp5Pk8U1cCd 3fT****9Q_24OFkVVcvQ8fDfXQJyxRB340ZqmLDVHeifNVNT0D Y15zHh-Ifeoi16XwMLKJp8TVg8wPXDGjugQ4G-rfeMEHEv6qBZdxpwdXsJoG5EuG2L8vjC5w4UADSvTlQJJ5bzjb ZQ=w522-h696-no[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Could be urban legend, and maybe you learned about this in your tour..

I have heard that to be properly trained to install and complete the binding work at Gibson, it's like a 2 year apprentice ship the builders have to go through until they are able to handle it on their own.
I've got an ES 137 Custom that is a sweet sounding and playing guitar but to that I would say that in traditional Gibson fashion they went ahead and sent their "D" students directly to the production line. I know that because mine and others I've tried have the most atrocious binding transitions that I've ever come across even on budget priced off shore imports. The pronounced ridge between the body and the binding on a guitar at this price range is nothing less than disgraceful.

Last edited by PAPADON; 12-03-2019 at 04:18 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars