The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Default CF and heat?

I have a vacation planned later this summer. We'll be travelling by minivan across the southwestern US. Temps will be probably 100 degrees plus. I'm not too concerned about driving since we will have the AC on. But, when we stop to see stuff, the temps in the van could get pretty hot. I'm concerned about low humidity plus heat. Would a CF guitar stand up to that?

I'm looking at an Emerald X7 or a Cargo. I like the lower price and wider nut of the X7, but either would probably work. Do these guitars generally have long warranties, trussrods, etc.? Honestly, I'd probably just use a wood guitar, but the heat has me really worried.

Ideas?

Todd
Old 07-13-2016, 01:40 PM

I was in AZ and NM last year in July for some shows, and I didn't have a problem with the two Rainsongs I was traveling with. One thing I always used to do when I was living in my van and gigging was to cover the (then wooden) guitars with a sleeping bag tucked in around the edges - it will shield them from the heat build-up in the car while you're out and about.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:43 PM

BoneDigger, a CF guitar probably would stand up to that. car travel But as I rule, I try not to abuse any guitar, even CF. When I am concerned, I put the guitar in its hard case inside a decent winter sleeping bag and placed in the trunk out of direct sun. I also leave the windows cracked an inch or two to reduce - not prevent - the heat build-up inside. There is a big difference between 120° and 140°.

There have been lots of posts here from people who leave their CF guitars in hot cars all summer without issue. They are braver than me.

Truss rods are not generally necessary on CF guitars, and won't help if the adhesive starts to soften in the heat and the neck / body geometry changes as a result. Most warranties are lifetime to the original owner, but will never cover abuse from excessive heat.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:56 PM

I've had a couple CF guitars get so hot that they were uncomfortable to touch, but no other adverse effects. The only thing to worry about is whether adhesives will come loose. That can't happen with the Emerald, as the it's truly one piece. But I wouldn't worry about the Cargo or any other CF guitar, really...at least not for a few hours of 100 degree heat.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:54 PM
Guest 928

I live in a hot desert in the American Southwest, have had numerous CF guitars, commonly play in 100 degree heat, and have never had a problem. Like others, I am a bit cautious in leaving my guitars in a parked car--I leave them in the passenger area rather than the trunk. I've never heard of a CF guitar undone by heat.

You don't say where you are starting from, but if your trip starts near LA you should drop by LA music where you could get a chance to try various CF guitars. The two guitars you name are sweet, you might also want to check out the Blackbird Rider and the Journey.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:29 PM

Hi Todd,

I think Ashvin from Rainsong posted something about maximum temps for a Rainsong, and as I recall, a hot car should not be much of a concern.

A few years ago Helene and I were up in our home in Big Bear, located at 700 feet, where it was an unseasonably cold spring, with temps getting down to 20 degrees. Not being a fan of cold weather, I decided to drive to Palms Springs where it was 95 degrees. My Blackbird Rider was in the back of my SUV, and other than having to spray a little water on it before I could play it by the pool, there was no damage. I can't speak to Emerald, but my Rainsong BI-DR1100NS, and my CA Cargo have been subjected to similar abuse without any adverse affects.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:14 PM
Guest 928

I use my CF as fans, have them hooked up to a hellishly clever motor unit. When I get to water, I use MY CFs as oars. Since I've had CFs, my screen door has stopped squeaking and I sleep better at night. These CFs are tough buggers. You can take that to the bank.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I use my CF as fans, have them hooked up to a hellishly clever motor unit. When I get to water, I use MY CFs as oars. Since I've had CFs, my screen door has stopped squeaking and I sleep better at night. These CFs are tough buggers. You can take that to the bank.
I think you forgot to mention: as a result of playing CF guitars, women find you more ruggedly handsome, and men want to be you. It is a CF side effect that isn't often discussed. I've learned to live with it.

We were in Arizona in early June... it got to 116º one day, above 105º every day we were there. The guitar (Emerald X7) did fine, I was miserable... and our home is in a sub-tropical climate.

I like my wood guitars - wouldn't even think about having them in that environment. If I could keep only one, it would be a CF.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:50 PM

You would really have to do some searching to find an epoxy glue that was not good to 85C (185F). Don't worry about it. Remember a lot of the stuff inside you car passenger compartment is also glued (though no guitar strings are attached...).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-13-2016, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

I decided to buy a used Cargo. They get pretty good reviews.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:02 PM

Yes, they do, for many reasons! People like their tone and volume, the way they play, their size, their ruggedness, and their relatively low price when compared to some of the other CF guitars. I suspect you're going to love that Cargo in your situation, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if you didn't love it for more normal weather, too. Don't leave us hanging - report back with your impressions, will ya?

cotten
Old 07-13-2016, 11:39 PM

I have a black CA GX - it has spent most of it's time with me in hot and mostly humid climates. The guitar itself has survived this no problems at all. However, the surface can get uncomfortably hot if left in, or even playing under a hot sun. I imagine this would be true of most dark CF guitars.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 07-14-2016, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I have a vacation planned later this summer. We'll be travelling by minivan across the southwestern US. Temps will be probably 100 degrees plus. I'm not too concerned about driving since we will have the AC on. But, when we stop to see stuff, the temps in the van could get pretty hot. I'm concerned about low humidity plus heat. Would a CF guitar stand up to that?

I'm looking at an Emerald X7 or a Cargo. I like the lower price and wider nut of the X7, but either would probably work. Do these guitars generally have long warranties, trussrods, etc.? Honestly, I'd probably just use a wood guitar, but the heat has me really worried.

Ideas?

Todd
Hi Todd,

Thank you for your interest in our X7. You will have lots of owners on AGF who can give you independent reviews. Check out the 'Incoming ... (CF Content)' by Captain Jim who is currently on a road trip with his X7!

We don't anticipate you would have many problems with an Emerald as the carbon structure makes a very accurate and reliable instrument, but if you did have an issue rest assured that we offer a full warranty against any structural defects and manufacturing defects. If you had any issues at all with an Emerald you could then just contact us and we would assist you in finding the easiest resolution.

Our X7 has a double action truss rod and our guitars have travelled everywhere from the Arctic Circle, Antarctica to the Sahara desert and our customers' don't tend to have any problems with climate affecting their guitars.

If you have any further questions, no doubt the AGF members will be able to assist you, or we can answer any queries here or directly via email on [email protected]

Best Wishes

Sean @ Emerald Guitars
Old 07-14-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
...you forgot to mention: as a result of playing CF guitars, women find you more ruggedly handsome, and men want to be you...
I think that goes without saying, Jim.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Guest 928

We all seem to be on the same page here.

Bone Digger; I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the Cargo. I would also wager that it leads you to seriously examining other CF offerings. Enjoy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber