The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Godin Guitars

Hi,
I know there is a lot of information regarding the A6 ultra that godin makes, some people like them, some dont.

Has anyone had any hands on experience with the New Godin Multitac Steel 2019? It seems like it may include the best of both worlds even more so than the a6 ultra. Any insight would be much appreciated!
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 12-06-2019, 09:52 AM

Would have liked to see them stick with a humbucker, personally, but Godin makes great instruments for performing, no doubt about it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-06-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Jeff. I have the Doyle Dykes Ltd. Ed. Multiac and it's a great guitar.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

I have the Doyle Dykes. After hearing mine, my buddy bought the Multiac Steel. Both guitars sound the same when playing them as amplified acoustics and operating them the same.

What we have found when jamming with them together, is that the electric style pickup in the Steel doesn't really add much to the mix. It gives a bit of texture variations when added to the acoustic setup, but not enough to be something either of us would require.

The hope was that the additional pickup might add a kind of 335 sound but it doesn't. Also the way it sounds best is to run the pickup through a separate amp which adds to the equipment you have to have.

All that being said, IMO both guitars are very nice. Fit and finish is excellent and the playability is wonderful. Even though we haven't found much use for the added pickup on the Steel, I wouldn't say to buy the DD instead. You can get the same acoustic sounds from both and the extra pickup certainly doesn't hurt anything. Maybe there will be some need in the future that it works great.

Just another note, I've found that using D'Addario NB strings really work well on these guitars. The new Zoom AC3 also is great in front of these guitars.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Would have liked to see them stick with a humbucker, personally, but Godin makes great instruments for performing, no doubt about it.
I mixed FOH at a show the other night and a guy had an F-hole Godin with a single neck-position P-90. It sounded great -- fat and warm and not at all like the telephoney P-90 thing you might expect.

Couch Standards
Old 12-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies. I personally cannot stand the all black finish on the DD Multiac,

If the lipstick Seymour doesn't add much, would it be better to just go with the a6 ultra then?
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 12-07-2019, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
I have the Doyle Dykes. After hearing mine, my buddy bought the Multiac Steel. Both guitars sound the same when playing them as amplified acoustics and operating them the same.

What we have found when jamming with them together, is that the electric style pickup in the Steel doesn't really add much to the mix. It gives a bit of texture variations when added to the acoustic setup, but not enough to be something either of us would require.

The hope was that the additional pickup might add a kind of 335 sound but it doesn't. Also the way it sounds best is to run the pickup through a separate amp which adds to the equipment you have to have.

All that being said, IMO both guitars are very nice. Fit and finish is excellent and the playability is wonderful. Even though we haven't found much use for the added pickup on the Steel, I wouldn't say to buy the DD instead. You can get the same acoustic sounds from both and the extra pickup certainly doesn't hurt anything. Maybe there will be some need in the future that it works great.

Just another note, I've found that using D'Addario NB strings really work well on these guitars. The new Zoom AC3 also is great in front of these guitars.

Hope this helps.
Doyle often uses the AC3 with his and uses his signature GHS strings.

I picked that model as I wanted a steel stringed Multiac with the LR Baggs pixckups and the solid headstock. Very happy with it.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
Thanks for the replies. I personally cannot stand the all black finish on the DD Multiac,

If the lipstick Seymour doesn't add much, would it be better to just go with the a6 ultra then?
The A6 has a humbucker but no Lyric and no Session DI built in. I guess it would come down to how you intend to use it. I use mine (DD) as an acoustic performance tool. When I want an electric sound, I use my electric. YMMV

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion