The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 03:58 PM

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-06-2019, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

That issue is absolutely fixable.... If you were local I would send you to my guy and it would be fixed today. Combination of nut slots, fret leveling, and truss rod most likely. Could be a technique thing as well, but a tech who is also a professional level player like my friend will be able to spot that as well

Selling a guitar for something easily fixed would be silly.

Last edited by Bear Davis; 12-06-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:07 PM

Maybe having it plexed would solve the problem. You could at least have it analyzed in the machine to see if it's a problem with the frets.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 12-06-2019, 04:11 PM

Im exactly like you. Once I hear something I can't unhear it and I waste time making it happen and then being upset its still there. BUT! It is always fixable.

I had a weird rattle on my hummingbird yesterday on the open g string. Turned out to be the plastic tuner button on the D string was loose. Bloody gotoh got carried away with the relic on the tuners and even simulated a plastic tulip button coming loose. Dab of CA into it and no more buzz.

I had a funny ring on my Taylor that only affected one open string at a certain down tuning. Turned out to be the shape of the saddle behind the break edge was causing the sting to have two contact points. My point is that it could be something really odd and might take a while to find if it's not in the standard list of things that make buzzes, but it can be found and fixed.

If you want to have a go at finding it, first go through all the standard things laid out on P1, then of it's not one of those, capo the feet fret and see if you can make it happen. Once you've got a hand free use it to touch every part of the guitar one but at a time till it stops.

Take it to someone good. Demonstrate the rattle. Make sure they agree they can hear it, then replicate it. If they can't then take it to someone better.

I will just add this. Sometimes rattles are caused by technique. Sometimes I think I've found a new rattle then realise I can make it go away by moving my finger nearer the fret or adjusting my grip. The fact that it only happens on one guitar does not rule out technique. The fact it only happens sometimes it kinda points to that. Things that rattle on a guitar tend to always rattle at a given fret or note.

Last edited by RalphH; 12-06-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:59 PM

could it be a ball end on the string? A tuner?
Old 12-06-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
I did mention the problem, but no one else who has picked up the guitar can replicate the buzz.
Long shot, but when I've had similar, intermittent buzz, I've paid attention to exactly how the string was plucked.

If plucked so that the string oscillations were mainly parallel to the frets, the problem was reduced. If plucked so that the planes of oscillation had a more up/down component, the problem was more prominent. To me this indicated that, for whatever reason, the string was too close to a fret.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
I'm writing this moreso just to get it off my chest and get some feedback from people with a level head because I sure don't have one right now.

I'm VERY picky about everything, including guitars and I'm having an issue with my Collings OM I can't solve. On the third fret, high E string ONLY, I get a quite profound buzzing sound here and there when playing an open G chord. It's difficult to recreate and only happens here and there, and it wasn't fixed after I had the guitar set up to my liking, even though it plays like butter.

This has made me stress to the point where I can't even pick up a guitar right now because all I want to do is pick up the Collings OM and play a G chord until it buzzes so I know it's still happening. It truly is my best sounding guitar, but the stress of this buzz is killing me.

I just need your opinion on if I've got too far with the idea of selling it or if I should hold out a little longer and see if someone can find the source? What is your point of no return for guitar issues?
Hi, I love my Collings guitars, and I think I have experienced something very similar.

It is my humble opinion that these finely built guitars are remarkably sensitive to humidity AND temperature changes.

In 2017, I was ill and my guitars mostly stayed in cases but got colder for longer than usual, and my two oldest (Ds2h, and 0002h developed some strange issues similar to what yu describe, only a bit further up the neck (5th to 7th frets). Newer guitars sometimes, showed a similar issue.

I kept an eye on RH with the little inkbird type hygrometers, which showed no dramaic changes but the gutars got colder than usual - say, 60f.

My tech, and even the only authorised Collings repairer couldn't resolve it to the point where I put the dread up for sale .... sold in a week, and I now regret it.
The 000 has been a delight all summer!

So get that OM warm and maybe humidified up to 50% and let it settle. No guarantees, but don't sell a wonderful instrument like I did.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

The fact that you are the only person who can make it happen might be a clue
Old 12-06-2019, 06:37 PM

It could be a back buzz:

When you play this G chord, it could be one of the fretted bass strings (low E or A) buzzing against one of the frets *behind* your fingers - towards the nut. This usually happens higher on the neck, 7th fret and up, but it could happen anywhere.

The offending string rings in sympathy with another plucked string. Meaning, you are playing the high E string, and when it vibrates, it causes a sympathetic vibration on another string between the nut and where your fingers are placed.

If this happens, reach over with your other hand and touch the bass strings behind your fretting fingers. If it's a back buzz, you'll stop the sound immediately. You fix this with a tiny tweak of the truss rod (usually).
Old 12-06-2019, 10:56 PM

You shouldn't have to live with a problem like that. Let me know where to send my $1000 plus shipping and I'll solve this for you. I'm old and my hearing sucks, so I'll never notice.
Seriously, this should be fixable, if not by a local luthier, by Collings service.
Good luck!

Last edited by tj_mangum; 12-06-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
The fact that you are the only person who can make it happen might be a clue
Life's too short to play guitars that don't agree with you.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:42 AM

Default Collings OM 1 buzz

I bought a used Collings OM 1 on line a couple of years ago and I noticed a slight buzz on the high E string. I thought the problem might be at the nut, so I sanded the nut slot a bit. That did not work. The only thing that seemed to work was putting a small paper shim in the slot. I later made a discovery during a string change. I removed all the strings and noticed that the nut was not glued to the neck. A simple dab of Krazy Glue solved the buzz problem.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:23 AM

If it was the only guitar I owned that buzzed, I’d move it along to someone who didn’t make it buzz.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-07-2019, 02:26 PM

Keep it. Are you able to demonstrate the buzz for your setup person? A good tech or luthier will be able to observe your playing and make recommendations. Could be setup, strings, style, or many other things. When I do a setup my person always has me play for 10 minutes or so.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:45 PM

If it's intermittent, are you sure it's not your finger positioning?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion