The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-07-2019, 08:19 AM

Default Fender X2 Super Champ vs Blues Jr, 4

I've had the X2 for four years and have been happy with it, I only play in a small music room and I'm not that good, but I'd like a little smoother, bluesey sound and can't afford a 65 Deluxe Reverb, it's a little over kill on me. Has anyone played these two amps that might be able to tell the difference in the sounds they produce? Thanks
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 12-07-2019, 08:54 AM

I’ve had both at the same time and now have only the X2. The Blues Jr. was a one trick pony to me. If it were being played 6+ it was OK. I never found the magic of it.

On the other hand, the X2 is an easy going partner. The more I experiment with it the nicer it sounds. It’s two years old now and gets used out twice a week.
Channel one is a great American clean with single coils. Channel two, number 16 on the dial is a great jazzer sound. Numbers 14 and 15 have a terrific grind with the gain aroundp three or four. If dialed in with moderation the effects and amp modeling are plenty convincing to all but the most discernible guitar folks.

It’s plenty loud for a considerate bassist and drummer. If not, I use a Sennheiser e906 into the board.

This years Christmas wish list is the X2 stand alone head and a good quality light weight 12” ext cab.

Guitar center usually has both on the sales floor, go do a side by side of the Bjr. And the X2

Attachment 30237

Last edited by Chickee; 07-08-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:39 AM

I played for some time with a guy with a first generation Blues Jr. around the turn of the century. He never thought it sounded "Fendery" enough for him and I steered him to a Princeton.

I've had a first generation Super Champ XD combo since shortly after they were introduced. I liked it for low volume work, but it wouldn't keep up volume wise with a rock drummer and stay clean enough trying (and failing) to reach that level of volume. Different speakers have been said to help this issue, and of course there's a head version of the current Super Champ.

But I'm recording more and not even tracking live as much now. I've started using it as my early 60s Princeton is in need of service. I think it sounds really nice when it's not asked to provide volume as well as desired timbre. Though I believe the new version offers some computer based "deeper editing" the Super Champ is easy to operate with just the simple knobs, and I don't use any of the effects in deep or complex ways.

One nice thing is that there are several good sounds it in. I've been using the "Vox" patch lately, and even though it doesn't sound particularly Vox'ey to me it sounds good for crunch. I've never needed to put a gain pedal before it to get some grind/crunch/breakup which it does fairly well as well doing a good Champ-like sound which can be clean at low volumes.

The Blues Jr is louder, and it has gone through at least four generations to the current one which I think has incorporated some of the "Bill M mods" that were considered the hot trick back around the turn of the century with the early ones. So you should try and see. I've never used the amps Steve DeRosa has often recommended here, but Steve's advice has been solid on other things, and I'd consider them as an option.

ADD ON:
I just noted that you have the Super Champ already but want a "Smoother bluesy sound" like a Deluxe Reverb. This may be the same issue I had, that you can't get loud or clean and loud as a Deluxe Reverb with it. It that it? Are you playing in a band context?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 12-07-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exterra1 View Post
I've had the X2 for four years and have been happy with it...but I'd like a little smoother, bluesey sound...
As I learned back in the '70s heyday of JBL/EV a simple speaker swap may be all you need - here's something that might do the trick:

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/sp...annabis_Rex_10

If you're not experienced with tube amps, FYI tubes with the same nomenclature (12AX7, 6L6, EL34, etc.) often have dramatically different tonal characteristics, and many savvy pros use them to fine-tune their signature sound. Here's a package for the Super Champ X2 (BTW I've dealt with these folks for several years and IME they're about as helpful and reliable as they come):

https://www.thetubestore.com/fender-...remium-package

Based on extensive experience with the Preferred Series 7025 (I have them in both my Bugera combos) they're about as good as it gets in a reasonably-priced non-vintage tube, and while I have no hands-on with the Tung-Sol 6V6 I've found their product reviews to be extremely accurate - in combination with the aforementioned speaker it should be exactly what you're looking for...

On the other hand, if you really need more power as Frank suggests and don't have a lot of bucks to spend, a Bugera V22 Infinium 1x12" combo - 22W/15W (switchable), two channels (clean/OD + mid-boost and the best built-in digi-verb I've heard to date), an upgraded Turbosound speaker that 's actually quite good for an OEM (leans more toward the mellow side of British tone - less piercing and edgy than a typical Celestion - and saves you the expense of a swap), and cosmetics straight out of the Bad Cat/Egnater "boutique" playbook - will get it done for around $400 brand-new (often less - far less - during Coupon/Holiday Sale days); only possible caveat is that these puppies are heavy - hope your gym membership is paid up - but mine's been trouble-free for the last 10 years, and there are a lot of satisfied owners here on the AGF...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 12-07-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:34 PM

An upgraded speaker and tubes should improve your x2 dramatically, but also purchasing the special edition with speaker upgrade if you like new and don’t like modifying.

The Blues Junior IV with pre-amp and master volume controls does make it versatile for home use - version 4 has a smoother volume taper, more control at low volume, altogether more tame amp than the super bright and touchy (w/ hard glass) version 3.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:24 AM

Default Wow, thanks to all of you

A lot of good info here for an old 73 year old beginner player! I really like my X2 and volume is surely not a problem, my little music room is only 12 x 16' and I don't play out, heck I don't even have any friends that play guitar, it's just me and Youtube or Itunes. I've changed the speaker a couple of times, right now it's got an Eminence Rajun Cajun in it and that sparked some better sounds in it, but it didn't add that little bit more of smoothness or bass I guess. I've built a lot of car and home stereo systems and I was never satisfied with 10" speakers, so my thought was that the Blues Jr having a 12" speaker would give me that little bit of extra depth that I was looking for, I even thought of just buying the Super Champ 12" cabinet but for what that cost and adding what I can sell the Champ for, I can easily just buy a single unit like the Blues Jr. I guess I need to get to Guitar Center and audition them side by side but I've had shoulder issues for a couple of months and driving is very painful right now. I read everything you guys write so please, if anyone else has any more input don't be afraid to throw it out there, I always want to learn more! Thanks
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 12-08-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exterra1 View Post
A lot of good info here for an old 73 year old beginner player! I really like my X2 and volume is surely not a problem, my little music room is only 12 x 16' and I don't play out, heck I don't even have any friends that play guitar, it's just me and Youtube or Itunes. I've changed the speaker a couple of times, right now it's got an Eminence Rajun Cajun in it and that sparked some better sounds in it, but it didn't add that little bit more of smoothness or bass I guess. I've built a lot of car and home stereo systems and I was never satisfied with 10" speakers, so my thought was that the Blues Jr having a 12" speaker would give me that little bit of extra depth that I was looking for, I even thought of just buying the Super Champ 12" cabinet but for what that cost and adding what I can sell the Champ for, I can easily just buy a single unit like the Blues Jr. I guess I need to get to Guitar Center and audition them side by side but I've had shoulder issues for a couple of months and driving is very painful right now. I read everything you guys write so please, if anyone else has any more input don't be afraid to throw it out there, I always want to learn more! Thanks
Ok, so we know more now about you and what you have done with your Champ and ultimately what you want the end result to be.

FWIW you can drop a Celestion Creamback speaker in the cab and you will get singing results. It’s a premium priced speaker, but you get what you pay for.
Or....get a 12” ext cab and power it with the amp you already have(fender makes a few) and you are done.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars