The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2019, 12:49 AM

Default Practice guitar for the Taylor 224ce-K DLX

I recently asked for advice on whether I should practice on my Seagull S6 or the newly bought Taylor 224ce-K DLX and got a lot of helpful advice from all of you. Here's the forum for reference: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=565652

Anyway, I heard from one of you guys that some of you try to keep guitars that are similar and size and playability so that way you can develop good muscle memory and this intrigued me. This made me think of getting a ~$500 guitar in the future that is very similar to the Taylor 224ce-K DLX. I was originally planning on using the Seagull as the second guitar, but now that I think about it, the size of the guitar as well as the size of the nut is very different and isn't a good practice guitar for my Taylor. As much as I love my Seagull and will never separate from it, after playing on my new Taylor, the big nut size on the Seagull really isn't suited for my short fingers.
I am also thinking of using the new cheaper guitar as a beat up guitar to play outside on a nice day or bring on a camping trip. I also don't want to use my Seagull as a beat up guitar because it is the first guitar that I liked to play and made me commit myself to learning the guitar so I definitely don't want to ruin it.
As some of you people advised me, I am going to play the hell out of my new Taylor, but there's no way I'm going to bring it outside to the elements.
I am definitely going to test out a bunch of guitars to see if I can find one that is very similar to the Taylor, but I would like to ask all you more experienced people for any pointers or suggestions on which guitars I should start looking at. I am planning on spending around $500 dollars for this new guitar.

Thank you in advance!
Old 12-07-2019, 07:21 AM

There are a lot of us that enjoy our GS Minis for the exact reasons or justifications you’re presenting/proposing for your next acquisition. No, the scale length is shorter, meaning the exact distance between frets are shorter and not a perfect match for the exact muscle memory proponents. Not, the body not as large as your GA...thus sound not as large and you could argue as complex. But...it has the same but width and really similar neck feel/shape (if not identical), and it’s a powerhouse for its size. It fits in overhead compartments and can handle an overnight at the campfire and resulting morning covered in dew. Weather months without hydration and storage at a seasonal condo’s closet. It’s not a beater though...and they make koa tops...then IT will be too pretty and dear to you to use for the intended justification. So, all things equal...there are plenty of used 114ce out there with the exact specs. Or find a retailer willing to deal on a new 114 so you can get the lifetime warranty. Taylor is a brand, unlike a bunch in the same price point, that you can pretty much ensure when you buy it that it’s setup or a quality widget because of their excellent machining processes and repeatable accuracy. It’s what they do...make accurate tools to make music. That’s why they sell so many to so much of a cross section of guitar players of all levels, new, old, beginner, travel, professionals, etc. But I will offer that I have used one of my Martins made from the black all-synthetic material as a boat oar. Yes, completely submerged in water, used as a paddle to get to shore. I’m stupid and take in on the little lake in my boat. It’s neck is plywood, and the balance is terribly front heavy. But it sounds like a Martin, the kids can knock it around, drunk friends can give it the Pete Townsend windmill, and it’s still kinda looks what Guitar Center would describe as “good condition”. No one tries to hurt their guitars but a little honest wear occurs. But I too feel your pain. I’ve bought a few guitars that are too pretty to play or take anywhere to enjoy, and am now streamlining those just because it’s silly to just have ornaments to polish, keep tuned or detuned yet with neck pressure, fresh strings upon, and keep humidity packs going or a dehumidifier in the summer. Wasted time and space. I told myself in 2016, I’m going to a Taylor Roadshow and buying 3 or 4 new guitars to fill my playing needs and selling the other four in the rack...long story long...I’ve already sold one of them, and the other two are listed. They’re virtually unplayed and it’s a shame. The ones I had were perfect and I just couldn’t stand of scratching these perfect examples with my ocd-reasoning. So I’m gonna lose money, and that’s ok because it took me to a healthy crossroad of utility. There is a gentleman on here that has lots of insight and knowledge, and his tag line in his signature is something to the effect of “be a player and not a polisher”...I really thought about it. The guy is so right. A slew of the greatest guitarist found “the one” and played it and mastered it along their journey towards their playing goals. I’d keep the seagull for sure...I have the pawn shop Takamine g-series I found years ago and it’s still in the family at a friend’s house on extended Loan while he is learning or starting the journey slowly as a young professional without much time or money. It felt good to give it away and is curing this condition on here that is commonly referred-to as GAS. It’s a real thing. But if you have the means to afford it, I liken it to any other hobby in the world. Pure fun of the hunt of an old gem or experience of new and/or fine quality and craftsmanship. This is more of a cautionary tale than a suggestion, because you can’t take advice from crazy guitar-strumming and humming hobbyist with GAS like me. $0.02
Old 12-07-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I agree with the "play the heck out of the Taylor" plan but am curious as to how much you actually play out in the elements...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, practice guitar