The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-30-2016, 03:47 PM

Default New Emerald X7 arriving from Ireland ! Questions.

I owned several carbon fiber guitars many many years ago when they were still considered an oddity. The first Rainsongs (Jumbo and WS), the first CA with the wooden fretboard (!) and also an early Emerald made only with fiber glass (no carbon fiber) ! After many years when I played guitar very seldom, I decided to start again playing acoustic guitar, and to sell my current wooden guitar (an inexpensive but good Ibanez AC400) to finance the purchase of a carbon fiber. After weeks of indecision, I was almost ready to order a Rainsong hybrid OM Shorty satin finish from Ted at LA guitars. Ted's price was very very tempting, a real bargain, but it was still a bit out of my budget.
So... I finally ordered an X7 from Alistair. Black, no electronics (I never plug in ) and a price closer to my budget.
My son has an X20 purchased over ten years ago, great guitar. But I never had the chance to play an X7, and I could only rely to some youtube videos with al its limitations. I play mainly finger style, I am looking for easy playability, a non muddy sound, and I hope that the size of the guitar will not penalize too much the low end. Alistair told me that currently each X7 is shipped with light-medium strings (12-56) which should help. I am looking for members who own or who have played this little gem and for their opinions about the tone of the guitar. Thank you !

Last edited by gerardo1000; 07-30-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I have GAS for an X7 - please post pics, clips and lots of reviews/writeups when you get yours !

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-30-2016, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

I have an X7 - it is a great small(ish) guitar. I don't play fingerstyle, so I can't speak to that, but I really appreciate the sound and feel (I play to accompany my vocals). The neck is a 24" scale, 1 3/4 nut width. The body (well, the whole guitar) has a great ergonomic feel to it, due to the rounded edges and beveled arm rest.

It doesn't have the bass of a dreadnought (physics), but has very nice balance.

I have been playing guitar for just over 50 years, and have come to appreciate smaller (Taylor Grand Concert) size guitars in the last few years. The X7 is physically smaller than that (smaller than a Taylor GSmini), but doesn't feel or sound like a small guitar.

I liked it right out of the box, and appreciate it more each time I play it.

Hope you enjoy yours as much!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:21 AM

Jim, the way you describe the X7 is very much like my description of our CA Cargo. Any direct experience with both yet? I recall that you got your X7 just before your current trip started.

FWIW I had some quality time last April to directly A-B a Lucky 13 and two Taylor GC models. They are very similar sized bodies, and L13 lacked the characteristic brightness o a Taylor - not a bad thing - with good overall balance. That is why Lucky 13 will be my next guitar.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:52 AM

I also have an X7 arriving from Ireland.

Last edited by 121; 08-02-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Hi Earl,

I was in Salt Lake City a couple years ago and stopped to visit with Michael at McNichols (before he closed the store). While he put a new bone saddle in my Shorty, he invited me to try the guitars he had on the wall. That was my only experience with a (used) CA Cargo. I have to admit, I was less "enlightened" back then and couldn't get beyond that off-set sound hole. I did play the guitar for a short time, but preferred my Shorty... I wasn't looking for another guitar at that time (had recently bought a Taylor 522ce 12-fret from Ted), so I am sure that colored my observations as well.

Forward a couple years, and I find I truly appreciate the non-traditional look and the great sound of many of the carbon fiber guitars (apparently old dogs can - well, you know). While the Cargo still doesn't appeal to me looks-wise, there is no doubt it is a worthy contender. I see the appeal of the L-13, with the traditional shape and great sound.

So many really exceptional carbon fiber options out there!

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber