The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Gotcha. You know one of the reasons we never got into bevels is because there so many different bevels to consider. With almost every advanced player I've dealt with, they do their own bevels. Like you, they even rebevel the factory bevels. Go figure.

sm
That's true, and reasonable. I do wish makers of picks over about 1.2mm would at least provide information about beveling to their customers, package insert or on their websites.

Probably should be more widely understood that thick picks come "with some assembly required". How many posts have I seen here where someone decides to try thicker picks and says "dull tone and low volume". Sort of like not mentioning your new car needs gas to run.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
That's true, and reasonable. I do wish makers of picks over about 1.2mm would at least provide information about beveling to their customers, package insert or on their websites.

Probably should be more widely understood that thick picks come "with some assembly required". How many posts have I seen here where someone decides to try thicker picks and says "dull tone and low volume". Sort of like not mentioning your new car needs gas to run.
HHP, my experience is that people are terrified of modifying an already expensive pick for fear of ruining.

As you and I have continually advised: Folks, get a bunch of cheapie celluloid picks that match the shape and thickness of the one you want to bevel, and practice. Even the really expensive plastics out there sand very similarly to celluloid, especially when done with water.

sm
Old 07-13-2018, 06:17 AM

After paying way too much money for a Bluechip pick, I ordered some Primetone picks from Strings and Beyond. I find that they compare very favorably with the Bluechip.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:00 PM

I found the grip pick kept turning around uncontrollably when I played, and was also disappointed with it's stiffness and tone for my country blues/Americana type flat picking. I sanded off the grip, and rounded off the point a little which solved both problems for me. As far as the tone softening up a bit, I think the grip probably added to the stiffness because there's more plastic density. I like them now. Too bad I just ordered some non grip .73's from Sweetwater.

I would beg the guys at Red Bear to modify my Classic II's when they beveled and make them a bit thinner, but they seemed insulted by the request. So now, with the Primetones having such similar attributes it becomes a question of 30+ bucks for one RB, or $4.99 for three P'tones.

After looking at my candy dish full of multi-colored flat picks, it gives me a sense of contentment to dump them all in a zip lock and put 'em in a drawer. The four picks that stay in the tray...Ultex .73mm and .90, Fender medium, and the Primetones. I think I'd like Primetone .88 so I'll shop...

Once in a while, stuff works out OK.

Last edited by jedzep; 07-16-2018 at 03:10 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I do not think they sound the same either. I prefer the opaque non-grip Primetones in terms of feel and tone.

Best,
Jayne
They sure do seem different.

Different enough that I'd guess that they were made from different stuff, despite reading otherwise. I could easily be guessing wrong, of course. I suppose it's possible that it's something about the manufacturing or finishing that explains the difference, and it's not as if I can point to a complete analysis and say, "hey, look, two different molecules." Still, they sure do seem as if they were made out of different materials. Either way, and whatever the underlying explanation, I tend to prefer the opaque, bick-colored (sort-of) ones as well. I'd distinguish between those and the ones Dunlop simply labels "Ultex" too, although I tend to prefer some of the Ultex picks to the translucent, amber-colored primetone picks, with or without the textured grip.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I just tried my first PrimeTones. I've used Dunlop Ultex 1.0 and 1.14 and 1.4's But mostly stuck to 1.0.

I also have Blue Chip Picks (TD40, TD45 and TF 50). My Favorite Blue Chip Pick has been the TD40 or TD45.

I ordered Primetone .96 and .88. LOVE the .96 The .88's are just a little thin for my preferences.

I'll do more A-B between the Blue Chip TD40 and the Primetone .96. But so far, I could easily settle and be happy with the .96. (These are the smooth / non textured picks)
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-14-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I just tried my first PrimeTones. I've used Dunlop Ultex 1.0 and 1.14 and 1.4's But mostly stuck to 1.0.

I also have Blue Chip Picks (TD40, TD45 and TF 50). My Favorite Blue Chip Pick has been the TD40 or TD45.

I ordered Primetone .96 and .88. LOVE the .96 The .88's are just a little thin for my preferences.

I'll do more A-B between the Blue Chip TD40 and the Primetone .96. But so far, I could easily settle and be happy with the .96. (These are the smooth / non textured picks)
My experience with Primetone versus same size Blue Chip is that, out of the bag, the Primetones probably give you about 75% to 80% of the Blue Chip. If you re-bevel the Primetones, the gap shrinks and they give you about 90% of the BC.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:33 PM

I've been alternating between the standard .73 smooth and the 1.3 little triangles. The .73 works better for most of what I do, especially once worn down a bit, but there is a pleasant chunkiness of attack to the 1.3 (thickest pick I've liked so far). I should be getting some 1.4 regular triangles and 1.3 rounded triangles in the near future.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:40 PM

If you want to appear worldly to your friends, you can use the term "Reuleaux Triangle" in place of rounded triangle. They will think you very mathematical.

Better still, use the term when the guy asks you what kind of picks you want.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:23 PM

Default Primetone pick questions

Before running out for a trip I tried the .73 smooth versus the grip ones and the normal ultex 73. It was only a one minute comparison though.

Based on that A/B/C, I think the smooth had a very similar tones as the grip but without 75% of the pick noise that the grip one produced which is a plus for the smooth. The PTs also sounded a little more defined than the standard ultex pick which I liked about both PTs, but I think the ‘softer’ attack of the normal ultex that produced no pick noise compared to the both PTs, and it was much quicker across the strings even without a bevel. Soundwise, i think I like the smooth PTs the best out of the three and hope that the playability turns out to be how I think about the Ultex.

I think I need to spend more than a minute the next time but the early top two are the normal ultex and the smooth PT 73. These are behind my blue chips because I’m trying to find the ideal #2 pick. I really like the ‘harder’ feeling PT grip pick for my electric. Love that snapping sound.

Mike

Last edited by Mike CT; 07-14-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:11 PM

Default Primetone pick questions

Ok - I just spend more time with the PT grip, smooth, and the traditional Ultex. In my opinion the PT Smooth is so much better than the others. It does glide well over the strings and doesn’t have any notable pick noise like the grip version.

I honestly can’t believe that both are called PrimeTones. They are completely different picks - just look at and hold them. The materials look/fell completely different even though both are Ultex based, and I find it much easier to hold the smooth one versus the grip version. I know the grip version has a raised print, but my fingers just adhere to the smooth pick almost as well as they do to my blue chips. The sound is so much more defined with the smooth picks but without some of the harsh highs that the grip version produces to my ear (keep in mind I like the 73s). The grip pick feels/sounds ‘plasticy’ versus the smooth to my ear. Maybe it’s just me because it seems like they sell a lot more of the grip picks but either way, I just ordered another set of the smooths.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike CT View Post
Ok - I just spend more time with the PT grip, smooth, and the traditional Ultex. In my opinion the PT Smooth is so much better than the others. It does glide well over the strings and doesn’t have any notable pick noise like the grip version.

I honestly can’t believe that both are called PrimeTones. They are completely different picks - just look at and hold them. The materials look/fell completely different even though both are Ultex based, and I find it much easier to hold the smooth one versus the grip version. I know the grip version has a raised print, but my fingers just adhere to the smooth pick almost as well as they do to my blue chips. The sound is so much more defined with the smooth picks but without some of the harsh highs that the grip version produces to my ear (keep in mind I like the 73s). The grip pick feels/sounds ‘plasticy’ versus the smooth to my ear. Maybe it’s just me because it seems like they sell a lot more of the grip picks but either way, I just ordered another set of the smooths.
Mike, most Primetone players report on here that the smooth vs the rough sound completely different, even at the same thickness. I have no way of knowing, but I wonder if the material is a slightly different formulation between the two series. Also, I wonder if perhaps the molding or shaping process is different between the two -- different heat, different temperature, etc.

scott memmer
Old 07-16-2018, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Mike, most Primetone players report on here that the smooth vs the rough sound completely different, even at the same thickness. I have no way of knowing, but I wonder if the material is a slightly different formulation between the two series. Also, I wonder if perhaps the molding or shaping process is different between the two -- different heat, different temperature, etc.

scott memmer

The weird thing is that based on going into most physical stores you wouldn’t know that the smooth PTs even exist. I work in NYC and could only find the grip variation so I had to order the smoothes on the internet to try them. So much better than the grip version (IMO).
Old 07-16-2018, 08:33 AM

Ah, to the days of youth and ignorance, when a pick was a pick was a --- !
Old 07-16-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdon View Post
Ah, to the days of youth and ignorance, when a pick was a pick was a --- !
I might long for youth but not ignorance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion