The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 PM

Default Firewire VS. USB 2. Interfaces for recording

I know firewire is more of a mac thing. But I was interested to see what everyone thought about recording using these interfaces and perhaps since I have a mac go with firewire or is it once again apples and oranges?
I'v got a good leed on a M Audio Fastrack for 80 bucks! I know how easy it is to get devowerd into tech talk realm.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDNME View Post
I know firewire is more of a mac thing. But I was interested to see what everyone thought about recording using these interfaces and perhaps since I have a mac go with firewire or is it once again apples and oranges?
I'v got a good leed on a M Audio Fastrack for 80 bucks! I know how easy it is to get devowerd into tech talk realm.
Hi ADDNME…
I can tell you that using simple firewire 400 with a Mark of the Unicorn interface I've recorded 8 individual channels at once several times, and played back as many as 26 tracks simultaneously with several individualized digital (software) effects without glitching...and that was with a single processor 550mhz machine (Mac).

I see firewire as more of a pro thing not a Mac thing. Especially with video...it particularly works well there.

I think the reality is if you are doing 8 tracks simultaneously or less, USB will work fine. Perhaps USB 2 can even do better than that. I'm sure someone here could tell us.

After I closed our small production studio, I bought a MOTU firewire interface unit to work with my laptop, and it works effortlessly, and flawlessly.

I've played with 3 different USB units which worked well in small settings - and my favorite best-bang-4-the-buck were the Lexicon Lambda and Omega. Both have the minimum features I'd want/need/expect if recording and doing any multi-track work (good anti-latency setup and great headphone monitor and playback capability).

The Lexicon Lambda has dual XLR with full 48V phantom power, and the Lexicon Omega has two more Line Ins (4 total) plus spdif. Both do midi as well...

Quiet electronics and both come with CubaseLE software. Both have very good preamps in them (quiet with plenty of headroom, and switchable input levels). Very capable and they have been around for years...good support.

They are only $150 & $199

The $80 M audio interface you have a line on will likely do good simple recording too. Is it the single, dual or quad channel model? Does it come with decent software?

Hope this helps...have you been looking at interfaces (more than just the M Audio)?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-20-2010, 09:26 PM

Default 2 xlr inputs

seems to be what Im looking for, the M Audio. You got me thinking, I should look for a four channel, totally forgot about midi keyboard, plus using it for a controller. I have been looking at Lexicons and presonus. Basically what ever is cheep and fits the bill. Not looking for a full studio, but it would be cool to have some capibility when friends come over. Really leaning on the firewire.
The other thing I want to do is send midi back to the interface to be routed into the amp for effects via the mac.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDNME View Post
seems to be what Im looking for, the M Audio. You got me thinking, I should look for a four channel, totally forgot about midi keyboard, plus using it for a controller. I have been looking at Lexicons and presonus. Basically what ever is cheep and fits the bill. Not looking for a full studio, but it would be cool to have some capibility when friends come over. Really leaning on the firewire.
The other thing I want to do is send midi back to the interface to be routed into the amp for effects via the mac.
Hi A…
Do your home work so you know what you are getting, and then have fun.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 AM

USB2 and FW400 transfer rate specs are very close, and either will work well for reasonable track counts.

Not all hardware plays well with all controller chip sets. If you are considering FW make sure that your computer chip set is recognized by the manufacturer of the audio interface you are buying.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 AM

Throughput specifications can be misleading when comparing USB to FireWire unless one is aware of a key difference in each system's topology. FireWire is less reliant on the CPU than USB so in actual use, FireWire 400 is faster than USB 2.0 as the CPU isn't taxed by USB demands. Of course, the newer FireWire 800 is even faster.

FireWire, otherwise known as IEEE 1394 is a standard in the video industry. In the car industry it is known as IDB-1394. In other words, it isn't just a Mac technology.

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 01-22-2010 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Typographical mistake
Old 01-21-2010, 09:30 AM

USB is a master/slave communications protocol - which means the computer (master) controls the interface (slave) and when the master (the computer) is busy the slave (the interface) will slow down it's transmission rate to accommodate.

What this means is that, while USB2 is rated at 480mbs, you will rarely see that. You'll likely see throughput around 330-350mbps as a top sustained bandwidth rate.

Now Firewire is a peer to peer connection protocol. The Firewire device has a "brain" (controller chip) that negotiates the connection and keeps the bandwidth at the necessary level for the device. The end result: if the device calculates that it needs a full 400mps for your connection - it gets 400mps and the computer won't change that.

This is also the reason that USB devices are less expensive - they don't have an onboard controller chip - they rely on the computer for all the heavy lifting. less internal parts, easy & cheaper to manufacture.

Firewire is an IEEE approved technology and was developed by many companies (Apple, Sony, Texas Instruments, DEC & I think one other that I can't recall). Apple puts Firewire on their systems because they sell to a higher-end creative crowd (historically) and that crowd demands high end interfacing for audio & video devices. Most PC manufacturers are hitting a price point and will omit Firewire to keep the price low (they have to pay a licensing fee to use it)...9 out of 10 PC users don't know the difference and don't care.

So - there's the skinny on the Firewire vs. USB question.

I do professional work with my audio interface and would not trust that to USB. I don't like explaining why things didn't work to paying clients. If you are just playing around at home and don't mind the occasional re-do because of bandwidth issues - USB2 will be fine.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 01-21-2010, 01:57 PM

+ 1 on the above posts, but a correct and comment..

USB 1.0 and 1.1 is limited to two tracks simultaneous recording.

USB 2.0 is the first USB interface that handles more than two tracks.

USB 2.0 transfer rates are slightly faster than firewire in theory, but slower in reality, as described above.

With that said, I still use several USB 2.0 interfaces and they work fine in the home studio.

JackL
Old 01-21-2010, 02:04 PM

Very well presented, it's relieving to see some folks that understand the inherent advantages to Firewire interfaces vs. their consumer USB 2.0 counterparts.

If you can afford it, go Firewire and don't look back. It will require nothing more than a Firewire PCI/-E card to be installed in your machine should you not already have Firewire ports. I'd go with a card that offered at least 1 Firewire 800 port, and 2 Firewire 400 ports, or vice-versa. Remember, a Firewire 800 port will handle a Firewire 400 capable device with nothing more than an adapter cable, and you're then expanding your horizons for even faster devices.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 PM

Default Thats why I can only boot from a firewire drive!

Thanks you just made me realize something else (Mac). Yes that was a very handy explanation. I got the mac because of the firewire was good for digital imaging devices. Kinda ironic its now sound. At some point I want to pick up a 4 channel fire pod or the like, too expensive right now. Just picked up a Tascam 24 bit /48khz interface for 60 bones shipped. Thank you all for such good info!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:10 AM

Steve, thanks for the explanation about the difference between USB 2.0 and firewire, I was lead to believe the performance was pretty similar, but see now that the figures are just theoretical maxima. Fortunately, the audio devices I have are both firewire, though my choices were luck rather than design.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzamundo View Post
Steve, thanks for the explanation about the difference between USB 2.0 and firewire, I was lead to believe the performance was pretty similar, but see now that the figures are just theoretical maxima. Fortunately, the audio devices I have are both firewire, though my choices were luck rather than design.
Glad I can help. As well as being a musician, I worked in the IT field and now do freelance technology consulting/web development to supplement my music work. I deal with technology all the time and have to understand it to help out my clients.

Always happy to pass along the knowledge.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification