The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 PM

Default Decision: Baggs M1 vs K&K PWM

I want to put pickups in two of my guitars: a Blueridge BG60 (J45 clone) and a Silver Creek T-170 (000).

Down to either the Baggs M1 soundhole pup (I have one in a Martin 000X1) or K&K PWM under saddle. I know the K&K is a passive pup so I assume I would need to buy a pre-amp.

I dont think the M1 requires a pre-amp.

So the decision appears to come down to:

2 K&K PWMs plus one 1 pre amp or
2 Baggs M1s

(and a partridge in a pear tree).

Advice?

Last edited by Sleehrat; 01-21-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-21-2010, 03:08 PM

Default Either or both

K&K will work without a preamp and quite well. Both will do better by a preamp and EQ adjust however, sweeping out most of the mids. I have used one or the other in my guitars.

I have recently wired my M1 passive to the K&K endpin as a dual source and use a trs to trs cable going into a Ultrasound DI Max, which has separate controls for the 2 pickups. I really like its tone and it's reasonable. I'm well- posted about this combo.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:43 PM

An M1-A will not need a pre amp, the M1 will.

I also had those 2 choices to make for one guitar, a Bourgeois OMC. Clutter up the look and go with the sound choice, or keep the look and go with the K&K.

I like the sound, very feedback resistant. I also have a Fishman Rare Earth active, to my ear, there is no comparison to the M1.

Takamine makes the Tri-Ax, which is basically the M1-A in black. And about 20 bucks less.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Takamine makes the Tri-Ax, which is basically the M1-A in black. And about 20 bucks less.
The other difference is that the Tri-Ax can run active or passive (there's a switch for it). So it's like getting the M1 and M1A together, two pickups for the price of one.

Although, on the price point, I thought the Takamine Tri-Ax was about the same as the M1-A, at least on the street?

'95 Guild DV52
'94 Guild JV52
'93 Guild F4CE
'77 CE100D

Can you tell I like Guilds?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:32 PM

How will the guitars be used? Live solo gigs? In a loud band? Quiet settings? Noisy settings? The K&K will likely sound more "natural" plugged in but you would likely be able to crank the M1 louder if need be. Since I don't play in loud bands I'd go with a K&K and Pure Preamp myself given the 2 choices. One preamp will handle both guitars.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
How will the guitars be used? Live solo gigs? In a loud band? Quiet settings? Noisy settings? The K&K will likely sound more "natural" plugged in but you would likely be able to crank the M1 louder if need be. Since I don't play in loud bands I'd go with a K&K and Pure Preamp myself given the 2 choices. One preamp will handle both guitars.
I play open mics a lot. Some venues only have a vocal mic and an amp tto directly plug the guitar in so that is why I am looking to install a pup in each.

Have done some acoustic band things so I don't really expect to play these guitars with a rock band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification