The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-19-2018, 01:46 PM

Used Gillette forever and moved up from 2 to 3 to 5 blade technology as they came out with it. I too got irritated by the cost of their blades so I jumped big time into Harry’s subscription model.

After 2 years I just cancelled my subscription. The blades are not as good (smooth) out of the pack as the Gillette 5 blade and they don’t last as long. Ive gone back to Gillette, who, incidentally, has lowered their cost as a result of the on line competition. It’s a great shave.

I’ve also given up on cheap foaming shave cream and use Gillette gel. Much better for me.

Pay a little more, get a better experience. As a friend of mine says, “buying quality only hurts once.”
Old 08-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Cool Very Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
how is the dollar shave club's razors compared to the pro fusion?? please give me a review! (:
I have found D$C's razors to be very good... even the handle (free) is more solid, more weight than Harry's or Gilette Fusion...

I find I get about 5-7 weeks of shaving from one cartridge; I usually only shave every other day, but I'm actually ENJOYING shaving more since I started the D$C.

I use the 6 blade one - although they let you change to 4 or two blades, as you choose. I got my first pack of 4 cartridges, and promptly cut myself in a couple spots! Contacted the company, told the rep my experience - I explained that I had not cut myself shaving EVER with Harry's blades - told him I thought maybe that one cartridge had a "funny" blade on it and I was reluctant to use it again. I had no problem with the next cartridge I used. The customer rep said he'd send me an entire 4-pack; I explained that that was not necessary, as I only had a problem with that one, but he insisted, saying that he had no way of replacing just one cartridge...

So, I got a second set of 4 cartridges (that made 8, as I discovered that the problem wasn't that first cartridge) - and I'm now on my third cartridge since then. The company lets you modify "when" you want anything shipped, so I just put my deliveries "on hold" until I feel I'll need more blades.

I realized that the issue I had was, the weight of the handle is SO much nicer than the previous brand I used that I was "digging in" without even noticing I was doing it... now I just let the weight of the handle do the work and all's well!

I used the Fusion ones for a long time until I got fed up with the price, the inconsistency of quality, as well as all the marketing gimmicks. By the way, I had good luck with Harry's stuff; I just wanted to try something different, not from dissatisfaction at all...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-19-2018, 05:28 PM

I get by fine with cheap bic disposables. But, how is Gillette charging more than the competition a "monopoly"?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 08-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
But, how is Gillette charging more than the competition a "monopoly"?
It’s not, of course. Gillette was able to command a premium when they truly had no serious competition. That gave rise to Dollar Shave Club, Harry’s and other, smaller operations like Defender (who I recently discovered, and love) - which in turn, caused Gillette to seriously revise its pricing strategy and adopt a subscription model.

Free market at work - nothing more, nothing less.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-19-2018, 06:56 PM

I use the Gillete trac2 blades myself. I buy them at Sam's Club and get a little better deal that way. I'm a cue ball so I shave every day. I get about 2 weeks from each cartridge by making sure I rinse and dry it off after each use.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:17 AM

I have today bought my supply of DE blades 200 for £8.10 might even last a couple of years
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 08-20-2018, 07:21 AM

I've used Gillette Sensor Excel for years. Walmart's 10 pack used to cost $15, then kept going up $1 a time until now its around $23 - and half the time the store would not have them in stock. So I looked on Amazon, and found them for about $12 for a 10pack. No desire to buy 5-blade options, too wide a blade for me when I tried disposables.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-20-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I've used Gillette Sensor Excel for years. Walmart's 10 pack used to cost $15, then kept going up $1 a time until now its around $23 - and half the time the store would not have them in stock. So I looked on Amazon, and found them for about $12 for a 10pack. No desire to buy 5-blade options, too wide a blade for me when I tried disposables.
I've tried the same route before too, buying excel and Mach3 as a cheap alternative. unfortunately (not pointing fingers), but I suspect foul play on Gillette's part, because they are definitely less sharp now (when bought brand new) than when they were 20 yrs ago..
Old 08-20-2018, 04:30 PM

Gillette "7 o'clock" blades, $2 for a 5-pack:

https://www.westcoastshaving.com/col...lades-5-blades
Old 08-20-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
unfortunately (not pointing fingers), but I suspect foul play on Gillette's part, because they are definitely less sharp now (when bought brand new) than when they were 20 yrs ago..
Has your facial hair changed in the last two decades? I know mine has...
Cordoba Stage

Old 08-20-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Has your facial hair changed in the last two decades? I know mine has...
probably, but I did remember that the Mach 3 was the smoothest shave I ever had 20 yrs back. but now the sharpness of the fusion is what the Mach 3 should be..
Old 08-20-2018, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
probably, but I did remember that the Mach 3 was the smoothest shave I ever had 20 yrs back. but now the sharpness of the fusion is what the Mach 3 should be..
I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night, let alone how good a shave I got 20 years ago
Cordoba Stage

Old 08-20-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night, let alone how good a shave I got 20 years ago
oh it's easy for me, because I have little bumps on my facial hair follicles.. strangely when the blade is blunt, I'll either get abrasions/rashes on it or mini cuts.. it's likely the cause of the blade pulling the hair when it cannot cut it clean like a sharp blade. that's how I gauge the sharpness of my blades.

when the blade is sharp, it glides over my face literally like butter, and I can most definitely feel how cleanly the new blade cuts off my facial hair.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
There are competitors. I use a safety razor and pay like $5 a year for razors... and I shave everyday.
A good blade in a good safety razor is a shave that can't be topped. I made the switch a long time a go and haven't touched modern razors/blades one time since. So much great product out there and it lasts a long time!

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 08-23-2018, 04:32 PM

I already posted but I was tickled by the guys who enjoy the shaving process.
I have a full beard so as to avoid shaving. I keep it very short and I trim or shave around the edges once, maybe twice a week to keep it neat.
If I could avoid all of it, I would.
During the winter, trimming etc., slows down considerably.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic