The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-11-2018, 10:12 AM

Thanks Toby and Howard!

BluesKing777.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

BK > way cool buddy! ...M80 sounds so full, phat and warm, very impressive and your playing is tasteful, great phrasing, all well done!

eric
Old 08-11-2018, 08:00 PM

Thanks Eric!

Much appreciated....and thanks for talking me in to getting the M80.

Hey, as a previous Lowden LSE II owner yourself may understand, I never dreamed in a million years that I would be playing bottleneck on my Lowden LSE1 - fairly sure I was thinking non blues, possibly prettier tunes and of course, DADGAD. But I have my Lowden O22 that is unbeatable for DADGAD.

But the LSE1 just has great tone and a nice little growl on the deep strings! Mahogany with Sitka but it takes more than that!

BluesKing777.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:07 PM

That was great! Vocals and guitar. Thanks.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:11 PM

I am not sure what it means but I will say it:

HeyJeff!

Thanks though, seriously. (and you have some monsters in your guitar list!)

BluesKing777.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Thanks Eric!

Much appreciated....and thanks for talking me in to getting the M80.

Hey, as a previous Lowden LSE II owner yourself may understand, I never dreamed in a million years that I would be playing bottleneck on my Lowden LSE1 - fairly sure I was thinking non blues, possibly prettier tunes and of course, DADGAD. But I have my Lowden O22 that is unbeatable for DADGAD.

But the LSE1 just has great tone and a nice little growl on the deep strings! Mahogany with Sitka but it takes more than that!

BluesKing777.
BK,
It only goes to show that you can play any style of music on any style guitar regardless of generally accepted pigeonholes.

HE
Old 08-12-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
BK,
It only goes to show that you can play any style of music on any style guitar regardless of generally accepted pigeonholes.

HE
Oh yes, Howard.....

The only acoustic guitar I had for many years was my 76 Dobro metal body and once I bored myself to death playing slide tunings, I put it in..gasp...standard tuning! Fingerpicked various styles and it was weird for some but fabulous for others. I have plenty of acoustics at the moment including a couple of dream guitar Nationals...newer model Tricone, newer M14 single, 1935 Trojan...all sensationally classic slide sounds. But I haven’t played them much of late, or my old Dobro. Not sure why. The Tricone is very heavy to lug. Joyous sound and I am reluctant to move them on, but they don’t have any....challenge?

So I have been playing slide on my ragged old 52 LG1, light as a feather ...more slide on my old 37 L-0, light as a feather...and ha! Slide on the Lowden LSE1....and it is FUN!

BluesKing777.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Your welcome BK and I'm diggin what your doin' with it! ...I loved my LSEII and when the Fishman Prefix gave out I used a M1A and loved it. I kept that guitar in standard while I kept my S23 in DADGAD. I sold the S23 and I gave one of my son's the LSEII. BTW I think the LSE sounds great for slide.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:27 AM

Thanks Eric!

The pickup is out and ready to try in something else now, love moving it around to guitars that have had no pickup!

I keep taking it out because I have a Humidipak that goes in the soundhole and the weather here changes daily/hourly.

Do you leave the M80 in when you travel? I was reading a disaster thread.

BluesKing777.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Oh yes, Howard.....

The only acoustic guitar I had for many years was my 76 Dobro metal body and once I bored myself to death playing slide tunings, I put it in..gasp...standard tuning! Fingerpicked various styles and it was weird for some but fabulous for others. I have plenty of acoustics at the moment including a couple of dream guitar Nationals...newer model Tricone, newer M14 single, 1935 Trojan...all sensationally classic slide sounds. But I haven’t played them much of late, or my old Dobro. Not sure why. The Tricone is very heavy to lug. Joyous sound and I am reluctant to move them on, but they don’t have any....challenge?

So I have been playing slide on my ragged old 52 LG1, light as a feather ...more slide on my old 37 L-0, light as a feather...and ha! Slide on the Lowden LSE1....and it is FUN!

BluesKing777.
BK,
My main acoustic bottleneck instrument is a 1930 Gibson TGL-5, factory converted to 6 string in July 1935.

My only resonator is a National Resolectric that I've highly modified with a one of a kind Columbia archtop pickup, and an AKG C-562CM under the cone. It actually sounds like a resonator guitar, but loud & full.

They all have different voices, and are all appealing at one point or another, one tuning or another, etc.

HE
Old 08-13-2018, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Eric!

The pickup is out and ready to try in something else now, love moving it around to guitars that have had no pickup!

I keep taking it out because I have a Humidipak that goes in the soundhole and the weather here changes daily/hourly.

Do you leave the M80 in when you travel? I was reading a disaster thread.

BluesKing777.
Yes, my M80 stays in all the time except to change battery...and I gig with it in this Florida humidity which is always challenging, but it has acclimated and returns to my home that stays around 55% RH.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:43 AM
Guest 33123

Awesome BK!
Old 08-13-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Awesome BK!
Thanks very much!

BluesKing777.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Yes, my M80 stays in all the time except to change battery...and I gig with it in this Florida humidity which is always challenging, but it has acclimated and returns to my home that stays around 55% RH.
My lightly built guitars hate humidity with an H.

We have everything everyday, but in summer we can get these dreadful humid breathless stinkers that can go on for weeks and weeks and my air con is a swamp blower designed for California type dry weather..so useless. Hence Humidipak 2 way system in my guitars...

My guitars sound like they are full of socks when that weather comes. I wonder how many people sell their guitar because they mistake the effect of humidity with their poor old saturated guitar guitar not 'sounding right'?

BluesKing777.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
BK,
My main acoustic bottleneck instrument is a 1930 Gibson TGL-5, factory converted to 6 string in July 1935.

My only resonator is a National Resolectric that I've highly modified with a one of a kind Columbia archtop pickup, and an AKG C-562CM under the cone. It actually sounds like a resonator guitar, but loud & full.

They all have different voices, and are all appealing at one point or another, one tuning or another, etc.

HE

I looked up the Gibson TGL-5, but couldn't find anything, Howard. Google kept taking me to Gibson L5 archtops. Is it an archtop?

My luthier recommended Schatten reso pickups for my Nationals, easy stick ons basically. Sound great through my Tonedexter with a file made for them! I still have my old 76 Dobro metal body - it was made when there were no Nationals being made and supposedly Doug Young was Supervisor at the time. I have been told the 76 were nice models, I like mine but I already bought it! (mid 80s). I had a Fishman reso pickup put in years and years ago and it is a shocker in an amp - awful, embarrassed myself at a jump up jam playing through a bass amp. Gives me the shivers.

The Dobro always sounded nice live with a plain jane Shure SM57, so as an experiment I made a wavefile for my Tonedexter with a Shure SM57 instead of the recommended condenser mic and.........hoooray is sounds like I wanted it to all those years ago...too late, that cushy gig is long gone that needed the perfect reso sounds! (Blues and Bourbon and Bikes or something and 99 types of bourbon. Sure I could still be playing there if.....)

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell