The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-05-2018, 09:17 AM

Default Emerald X10 Graphtech adjustable saddles

Warning! Browsing the Emerald website can be addictive. I have only just ordered my X7 nylon and already I am drooling over the new X10.

It looks like the X10 aims to be a crossover for electric guitar players. Three pickup options, including a humbucker, smaller nut width, compound radius and... adjustable saddles!
As an electric player myself I am used to easy bridge adjustments, which acoustic guitars mostly lack. I am aware of the reason: the vibration energy of the string must be transferred to the sound board in the most direct way possible.

But what about conventional under saddle piezo pickups. Do they not defy that purpose? So what Graphtech does with 6 individual piezo saddles is not that different IMO. Would it affect the acoustic tone any more than a conventional piezo pickup already does? And if not, why the @#$% did I have to mess about with sandpaper if I wanted to adjust a bridge of my acoustics all of these years?

Anyway, now that Emerald has the option of adjustable saddles readily available: Can they be fitted on other models than the X10 as a custom order?
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Warning! Browsing the Emerald website can be addictive. I have only just ordered my X7 nylon and already I am drooling over the new X10.

It looks like the X10 aims to be a crossover for electric guitar players. Three pickup options, including a humbucker, smaller nut width, compound radius and... adjustable saddles!
As an electric player myself I am used to easy bridge adjustments, which acoustic guitars mostly lack. I am aware of the reason: the vibration energy of the string must be transferred to the sound board in the most direct way possible.

But what about conventional under saddle piezo pickups. Do they not defy that purpose? So what Graphtech does with 6 individual piezo saddles is not that different IMO. Would it affect the acoustic tone any more than a conventional piezo pickup already does? And if not, why the @#$% did I have to mess about with sandpaper if I wanted to adjust a bridge of my acoustics all of these years?

Anyway, now that Emerald has the option of adjustable saddles readily available: Can they be fitted on other models than the X10 as a custom order?
I think a visit with the Emerald folks would answer that. They are accommodating, but it would only be a guess from any of us. My understanding is the structure for the adjustable saddles is built into the design of the X10.

Anxious to see some of these get out there so we can discover more about the sound and capabilities.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I think a visit with the Emerald folks would answer that. They are accommodating, but it would only be a guess from any of us. My understanding is the structure for the adjustable saddles is built into the design of the X10.

Anxious to see some of these get out there so we can discover more about the sound and capabilities.
Jim,

With Emerald customization I'm not sure anything is built-in. I had a discussion with Alistair about X10 saddles. He said the individual saddles are default without electronics, but if you seek optimum acoustic-only tone go with single saddle (at no extra cost).
Old 08-05-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
Jim,

With Emerald customization I'm not sure anything is built-in. I had a discussion with Alistair about X10 saddles. He said the individual saddles are default without electronics, but if you seek optimum acoustic-only tone go with single saddle (at no extra cost).

Sounds like the single saddle might be the better option for the K&K mini pick-ups than the Graphtech adjustable saddles would be.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 08-05-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jim,

Good to know. In my inquiry about a shorter scale X10, I was told the bridge was molded in, making it a 13-fret neck join. I assumed (we know what happens with that) the provision for the individual saddles were made at that time, as well.

I am excited about the design of this guitar. Seems to me that the pickup options will allow for a great range of tones. Since the new X7 and the X10 are quite similar in body size, it would make sense to me (opinion) to go with the X7 (or X20) for acoustic only... or even with a plan to install a K&K or stock pickup.

When Alistair announced this guitar, I spent quite a bit of time with my Taylor T5 (1 11/16" nut width), proving to myself that that neck width still works fine for me. The T5 has been a misunderstood guitar (still one of my favorite wood guitars), with some acoustic-sounding options, but firmly planted in the electric camp. I see the X10 being similar in terms of straddling that divide, but definitely favoring the acoustic side (again, opinion only, since I haven't seen one beyond that Emerald introduction video). I saw that humbucking pickup on that Emerald video and started drooling at the possibilities. Probably not the guitar for an acoustic "purist," but there are more than a few folks out there who have that (mistaken) idea about any CF guitar.

It's a great time to be a CF fan.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:13 PM

That X- 10 sure seems like a fine idea.... if I had an idea that is.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-05-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Good to know. In my inquiry about a shorter scale X10, I was told the bridge was molded in, making it a 13-fret neck join. I assumed (we know what happens with that) the provision for the individual saddles were made at that time, as well.

I am excited about the design of this guitar. Seems to me that the pickup options will allow for a great range of tones. Since the new X7 and the X10 are quite similar in body size, it would make sense to me (opinion) to go with the X7 (or X20) for acoustic only... or even with a plan to install a K&K or stock pickup.

When Alistair announced this guitar, I spent quite a bit of time with my Taylor T5 (1 11/16" nut width), proving to myself that that neck width still works fine for me. The T5 has been a misunderstood guitar (still one of my favorite wood guitars), with some acoustic-sounding options, but firmly planted in the electric camp. I see the X10 being similar in terms of straddling that divide, but definitely favoring the acoustic side (again, opinion only, since I haven't seen one beyond that Emerald introduction video). I saw that humbucking pickup on that Emerald video and started drooling at the possibilities. Probably not the guitar for an acoustic "purist," but there are more than a few folks out there who have that (mistaken) idea about any CF guitar.

It's a great time to be a CF fan.
Emerald is certainly positioning the X10 as an electric guitar. But, bigger than an X7, smaller than an X20, with a different neck and all the other Emerald goodness, sorry Emerald, in my mind it's a desirable acoustic guitar.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Emerald is certainly positioning the X10 as an electric guitar. But, bigger than an X7, smaller than an X20, with a different neck and all the other Emerald goodness, sorry Emerald, in my mind it's a desirable acoustic guitar.
For all that gets discussed here about acoustic tone, my feeling is: when you plug 'em in, they're an electric guitar. Which means every one of my acoustics is also in that category. Often the goal is "like the acoustic sound, only louder," but when I plug in, I am looking for a good sound.

It remains to be seen if that humbucking pickup on the X10 turns it into a great electric guitar. The specs, and Alistair's proven designs say it should be another great acoustic. To be able to blend the two... most interesting.

I would think if Emerald was wanting to make an electric, it would be a thin-body like Evan's custom nylon. My take is: this new X10 will be something unique.

Of course, this is all speculation until some of these X10s get into circulation.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
For all that gets discussed here about acoustic tone, my feeling is: when you plug 'em in, they're an electric guitar. Which means every one of my acoustics is also in that category. Often the goal is "like the acoustic sound, only louder," but when I plug in, I am looking for a good sound.
I echo these thoughts as well. While acoustic amplification has come a really long way (and may have even hit the holy grail- think Tonedexter), getting a great sound or even a good sound is of most importance. My tone gets lost in the wash of other instruments anyway- it really does (although quack has a way of shining over everything- and not in a good way.) Fortunately for me and many others there are great systems now that largely solve that problem- and do it "good" enough.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I had a discussion with Alistair about X10 saddles. He said the individual saddles are default without electronics, but if you seek optimum acoustic-only tone go with single saddle (at no extra cost).
Thanks, that is what I wanted to know.

I also noticed that, contrary to the Emerald single saddle, the individual saddles do not appear to be intonation compensated.

A true electric guitar not only allows you to adjust the height of the saddles but also to move them back and forth in order to improve intonation.
However, such a mechanism would introduce even more components to be placed between string and sound board, which would not benefit the pure acoustic tone.

I guess fully adjustable saddles for acoustic guitars will remain a pipe dream for now.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 08-12-2018, 06:01 AM

I wonder if the B string has been intonation compensated ?
On the nut side of the B string saddle it appears it has been ground down a little compared to the rest of the individual saddles,
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 08-12-2018, 07:39 AM

Not much of a break angle on the low E.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
I wonder if the B string has been intonation compensated ?
On the nut side of the B string saddle it appears it has been ground down a little compared to the rest of the individual saddles,
It looks to me like the B string saddle might be rotated 180 degrees so the high side is towards the bottom of the guitar while the other high sides are towards the headstock.

Last edited by JimCA; 08-12-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
It looks to me like the B string saddle might be rotated 180 degrees so the high side is towards the bottom of the guitar while the other high sides are towards the headstock.

Yes, I think you're right.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 08-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Agreed. It also looks like the six saddle elements sit into a standard saddle groove routed in the bridge.

If different compensation were needed, it seems theoretically possible to file the correct ramp angle on each saddle. But I would want a few extra individual saddles laying around for when I messed that up. Preferably ones with no groove in the first place, if that is possible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber