The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-24-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Thanks for the replies. Kinda OT but the wife balked at the price of the Marlin 6 so it looks like I'm going to have to get by on the old 4900 for now. At nearly 50 years old and having ridden bicycles for fitness through my teens and 20s I know my limits as a "weekend warrior" and 30 miles is pushing it on a bike that's not at peak efficiency. I'm thinking that instead of doing the full 40 miles I'll stick to just turning around at the 12.5 mile mark, head back to the festivities early and let Wonder Wife (who is not an experienced cyclist) forge on ahead with her friends and try and see if her ego can cash the check that her body couldn't on the last 40 mile ride on her new FX2.

The tech quoted me $380 to overhaul the crankshaft on my (2003) Trek 4900. I paid close to $600 back then but I expect that depreciation is going to devalue it down to less than $100, making an overhaul costing 4x as much not a very cost effective decision.

Selling it or trading it in is not an option. Biketrader.com lists a bike in this condition being around $80. They have a trade in program but the tech there quoted me $50 which I told him is essentially saving me money on just taking it to the dump myself - sorry, but I'm getting salty as I approach middle age and I have actually paid the admission charge to haul stuff to the dump and it's more than $50 believe me. He just laughed and agreed that it would be donated to charity at best. Given that I have two boys in puberty it makes more sense to just hand the old 4900 over to one of them and save me some $$$ and start them on something nicer than a Schwinn or a Huffy.

Hopefully next summer I will have the disposable income to upgrade and we can drag one of them along on a ride. It'll be tight, but we can jam three bikes in the back of the old paid off minivan and drive down to Ohiopyle.
That's way too much. Any of a plenty fine crank, bottom bracket and/or chainrings should be inexpensive for that bike.

You should also be able to find hardly used bikes like it for very little. For MTBs, 26 inch wheel bikes are more toward you have to pay someone to take it than should be paying to buy one. That might sound harsh but that's the way the market for them happens to be unless the 26r is a niche like a dirt jumper or good kids bike.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
More recent is one ring (gear) on the front and an 11 ring cassette on the rear. It costs more, but is so much nicer with no front derailure to mess with. That’s what I have on my gravel grinder road bike, and one lever controls up and down shifting.
I have a lower end Trek that I bought new over 30 years ago and it is still humming along nicely. If it ever dies - which it doesn't seem like it is going to - I think I'd prefer a 1x11 next. Too many superfluous gears on a 3x7.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
What sort of cranks would that be? There's a wide range of parts that will fit, and the work is pretty simple and quick if you have the right tools.

For rolling resistance, tyres are one big thing, and suitable pressure is essential.

You mentioned seat height.
Appropriate leg extension is the measure there. I get into the ballpark like this:
- pedal the bike with my heels on the pedals
- raise seat until I can barely do it withOUT rocking my hips
- if I need to rock my hips to pedal, lower the seat.
-> now, when I pedal correctly with the ball of the foot on the pedal. I have a little bend left in my knee, at the bottom of the stroke.
Not sure, but I feel that the bare minimum would be a new chain and a a front triple sprocket with maybe a new front deraileur. The rear is the original 9 sprocket with a relatively new deraileur.

As for the pedals, I have cages on the OEM metal clips. I don't do basic nor do I do clips. One of my gripes is the plastic pedals on the Marlin 6. My 4900 came with steel; I view plastic pedals as earmarks of a toy bicycle with inferior quality. I'm done with Schwinns and Huffies.

Regarding technique, during long rides I try to equate effort between both legs with simultaneous effort on the up and down strokes. I don't think I rock my hips but could try to drop the saddle some.

A new seat is definitely in order though - regardless of what bike. Numbness was an issue on long rides despite wearing biker shorts. I'm still riding the stock saddle and from what I see Trek's basic saddles are you-know-what busters. I'll be looking for the slimmest gel saddle I can find that still allows me to slide back on downhills; it's pretty hilly here even on western Pennsylvania notoriously cracked and pitted roadways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
That's way too much. Any of a plenty fine crank, bottom bracket and/or chainrings should be inexpensive for that bike.

You should also be able to find hardly used bikes like it for very little. For MTBs, 26 inch wheel bikes are more toward you have to pay someone to take it than should be paying to buy one. That might sound harsh but that's the way the market for them happens to be unless the 26r is a niche like a dirt jumper or good kids bike.
I agree. The rear deraileur is nearly new so I'm getting a second opinion. My gripes are mostly with the action of the front deraileur. I'm having a hard time engaging the smallest front sprocket if the rear is set to the larger sprockets; I can get to the top gears but if I downshift on the rear while in the smallest front sprocket the deraileur wants to put me on the middle front sprocket. I was told by two different shops that the front deraileur was worn so it was hard to adjust properly.

Truth be told, I found the larger frame and 29" wheels to be preferable so an upgrade in basic geometry of whatever I ride is definitely in order - though it's not likely to happen this year.

Based on what I've learned about guitars here and the weird looks I get by being demanding while "rocking the dad bod" when I walk into bike stores, going used may definitely be an option. Packrats like me who run their possessions into the ground seem to be a minority and I know all too well about depreciation.

Long story short, I've been riding bikes since I was 6 and it's been my primary means of fitness since I was 14 but I got out of practice when we had kids and they're finally getting old enough where we actually need to get out of the house for something besides trips to the mall or grocery store. Getting my wife on a bicycle is a major accomplishment that I was hoping would be something we could do together. She's competitive and controlling but I can still outride her. The prospect of getting one of my sons involved adds another degree of excitement. It's been something I've done for fitness since I was 14 years old and I'm not looking to downgrade. This is as much for my mental health as it is for my physical health. Lords knows we could all be working on both of those.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to be poring over used listings in my area. Since warranty won't be an option what other options are there in a cross country bicycle with 19.5" frame and 29" tires?
Old 07-30-2018, 07:54 PM

REI as does MEC up here, carries the Ghost brand of bikes from Germany, exclusive to them.

Please check them out.
Very good value for the money.

I went dual suspension because, in a word, my back hates, hates hates being battered. I lock it out when I need to. I got the Lanao FS7.

Ghost bikes are really good.

By the way, the feel of the bike, how it fits to your body is called "the stack". If you do not feel incredible right away and just want to ride all day, DO NOT BUY IT> it will never feel good.

It has to feel so wonderful that you just cannot get off of it. Or just keep moving on.

D.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:25 PM

Default Bikes

Besides guitars, bikes are my other main hobby. I’m into fat bikes and ride all year round, even in deep snow during the winter. I actually plow trails with a Fatbike with 5.1” wide tires. Just picked up a 27.5” plus FS bike last week.

Since you have an old bike, I highly recommend learning to modify what you have. I do all of my repairs and mods myself. Only thing I have not done is build wheels. I no longer use three rings up front. All of my bikes including my wife’s are 1x11. I no longer use road bikes, as I gave up racing road in 2006 and cyclocross around 2012. I still race off road, I’m 52 years old.

For riding paved trails I use my 29r. I have an old pair of Schwalbe 2.4 Racing Ralfs that have not worn down at all yet. I keep them pumped up around 50 psi. Good for hitting pavement that connects to off-road trails. Can mix it up at a few parks near me.

If you want to get the most bang for your buck, see if there are any MTB websites on line in your area with a classified section. Often racers will dump some pretty nice bikes at a cheap price. I learned to do my own maintenance via books and asking bike shops for help. It’s not too hard to do and you can create your own ideal rig. The only drawback is there is an enormous amount of gear out there and it’s tough for bike shops to keep up. A few times I’ve had bike shops call me to borrow stuff like special tools for intalling cranks. I wish the MFG’s would standardize certain things so we don’t have to buy special installation tools.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:30 PM

My suggestion is sell a guitar and get the bike you want, used or new.

Much more important to your life, health, and marriage to share some cycling time with your wife than have that one extra guitar. You'll be in better shape and probably never miss the instrument.

Just an idea. I know it's heresy around here.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
My suggestion is sell a guitar and get the bike you want, used or new.

Much more important to your life, health, and marriage to share some cycling time with your wife than have that one extra guitar. You'll be in better shape and probably never miss the instrument.

Just an idea. I know it's heresy around here.
Maybe heresy, but good advice, especially for the value of exercise. Not many calories are burned playing guitar, unless you want to emulate Peter Townsend.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 07-31-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Since warranty won't be an option what other options are there in a cross country bicycle with 19.5" frame and 29" tires?
I always work from a spreadsheet. I list the geometry of some favorites I have or had, ones I've tested, and ones that interest me.

Many used 29r bikes might not have the modern geometry I find all important but your riding style might not make that so important. Even though it's relatively old fart style I seek berms, jumps, rollers, and playing with and against gravity.

You can still go with a shorter stem and wider bars on an older bike.

On the other comments, I'm surviving better with less guitar stuff than bike stuff. Keeping on a bike and keeping at walks, hikes, a little jogging and other exercise has become an all important part of doing well as I age. It might not mean I live longer but it does mean I move and think better. I would definitely make sacrifices to have a decent bike.

I haven't done the math on monetary savings, but good shoes and a bike eliminate noticeable amounts of time others spend in a car and it's very much worth it.

Good luck.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:36 PM

Well, I invested in a new saddle and grips for the old Trek 4900 and did a couple of 25 mile rides on it since. My underside is the better for it but pedaling is still a lot of work. On my last ride - which was an organized event around rural roads (with some loose gravel) in Northeast Ohio - I started strong but that was mostly downhill. By the end of the ride it was more uphill and my stats dropped off significantly. I'm glad I opted against doing the 40 mile ride.

We have entered in two more 25 mile organized rides - and possibly may enter a third - this season. The route meanders around the many hills and turns within Pittsburgh city limits but I got through the one we did last year with the expected discomfort. Even though they're on streets I still prefer going with a cross country/mountain bike over a dual sport/hybrid though. Despite my complaints of discomfort my biggest complaint is that I'm bored riding the same route over and over. I may be too old and out of shape to be a dedicated mountain biker, but there are many wooded and gravel trails through the local parks that I'd like to frequent more.

Today I went to another Trek dealer and tried out a 2019 Marlin 7 in a 17.5" frame with 29" x 2.2" tires. Even though it's the same "size" as my 15 year old hardtail the geometry is much more comfortable. It was almost as much as an "aha" moment as when I went from playing my "lawsuit" Tak to trying out a Martin HD-35. Also, I tried a 2018 Marlin 6 last month and the new 7 is definitely a huge step up - especially with the new non-tubular frame construction. It's also much lighter and much less cramped than my 4900. My only gripe is the plastic pedals.

As for selling a guitar or two, most were gifts and unfortunately I've played them pretty hard too. Playing/singing is just as therapeutic as riding and I'm trying to build the courage to audition for a small gig at a local grocery store cafeteria and have been building up my repertoire/endurance to go for 3 hours. I could potentially kill two birds with one stone if I push myself outside of my comfort zone.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Well, I invested in a new saddle and grips for the old Trek 4900 and did a couple of 25 mile rides on it since. My underside is the better for it but pedaling is still a lot of work. On my last ride - which was an organized event around rural roads (with some loose gravel) in Northeast Ohio - I started strong but that was mostly downhill. By the end of the ride it was more uphill and my stats dropped off significantly. I'm glad I opted against doing the 40 mile ride.

We have entered in two more 25 mile organized rides - and possibly may enter a third - this season. The route meanders around the many hills and turns within Pittsburgh city limits but I got through the one we did last year with the expected discomfort. Even though they're on streets I still prefer going with a cross country/mountain bike over a dual sport/hybrid though. Despite my complaints of discomfort my biggest complaint is that I'm bored riding the same route over and over. I may be too old and out of shape to be a dedicated mountain biker, but there are many wooded and gravel trails through the local parks that I'd like to frequent more.

Today I went to another Trek dealer and tried out a 2019 Marlin 7 in a 17.5" frame with 29" x 2.2" tires. Even though it's the same "size" as my 15 year old hardtail the geometry is much more comfortable. It was almost as much as an "aha" moment as when I went from playing my "lawsuit" Tak to trying out a Martin HD-35. Also, I tried a 2018 Marlin 6 last month and the new 7 is definitely a huge step up - especially with the new non-tubular frame construction. It's also much lighter and much less cramped than my 4900. My only gripe is the plastic pedals.

As for selling a guitar or two, most were gifts and unfortunately I've played them pretty hard too. Playing/singing is just as therapeutic as riding and I'm trying to build the courage to audition for a small gig at a local grocery store cafeteria and have been building up my repertoire/endurance to go for 3 hours. I could potentially kill two birds with one stone if I push myself outside of my comfort zone.
I'm glad you're enjoying it. Maybe you'll find an end of season bargain. If you do enough volunteer and advocacy work you can qualify for outdoor gear at significant discounts.

We'll have to be shopping for one soon. It's looking like the scholastic bicycle league is sparking something amazing in one of my kids where he'll be outgrowing the used bike he's fixed up.

Good for you on the longer rides. I push to do some epic rides each season. So far nothing more than 4 hours this year. I'm wondering if age has me against some sort of wall. I'm still at it and loving it but an not yet able to get faster the year.

Therapeutic is an understatement. It's very important for me. I've posted before about the relationship my wife had and still has with the bike and cancer. My kid who joined the NICA scholastic league team is loving it and finding a lot of respect from the other kids and coaches. Like guitars, bikes are machines that also create some magic or super powerful stuff.

For parents, I've never seen a sports program so accepting of ALL kids as the NICA league teams around me.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:29 AM

Just for curiosity's sake, I'm pricing out the parts for a complete crankshaft on Amazon. Judging by the comments thus far, the bottom bracket is pretty much the only bike-specific component; I can alter the crank and rear cassette slightly but I need to know a little more about my 4900's exisiting crank as far as size goes. If I want to DIY I see that I need a specialized tool or two.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:15 AM

Default Check this out

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red..._bracket_on_a/

I noticed it’s not easy looking up the bottom bracket and crank info. This link may be of some help. You need a bottom bracket tool or a special wrench you can usually pick up in any bike shop. Also if you do not have a torque wrench buy one. For cranks and B.B.’s I have a Park Tool beam-lever type. Cranks come in different lengths so make sure you buy one the same size. Nowadays most B.B.s are external bearing types vs the internal cartridge which you probably have. You should be able to find an appropriate external that works. That will give you more choices in cranks. I’m thinking you have old square taper B.B./ cranks, which you can still find.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:06 AM

I've been on Amazon pricing out parts. I'm curious about the previous comment about converting to a "1x" with no front derailleur. If It's going to cost me north of $300 to replace the existing 3x8 and I can only get $50 in trade then there's got to be middle ground somewhere.

Meanwhile, I've been riding it as is. I've swapped out the saddle and the grips, going with a gel seat and riser bars and it's a little more comfortable but I'm still putting in a lot of effort. I've been using an app on my phone to chart my stats. Though I'm taking the caloric figures with a grain of salt I trust that the GPS is able to adequately measure my pace and I'm topping out at 19 mph on downhills. Reviews on my bike report that an experienced rider should be topping out at least another 5-9 mph more.

That tells me that there are indeed mechanical problems. The BB seems to be cooperating but the front derailleur continues to disappoint in the small cog range, wanting to jump back to the middle. The chain is also slapping off the chain stay on bumps. As such, I've decided to sit out this weekend's 25-miler, electing to keep my rides to 15 miles on local jogging trails. I maintain that I will be avoiding road riding like the plague; drivers are inattentive and the roads are all chewed up from construction.

On the bright side, the fork is still firm and there are only surface scratches on the frame (in the aforementioned chain stay.) The brakes, rim and tires are also adequate. It might be worth it to put a little money into it - but how much?
Old 08-25-2018, 12:41 PM

Default 1x

Just a quick comment on 1x drivetrains. If you ride off road where you may have a slight crash every now and then, or ride through areas of heavy vegetation where junk gets stuck on your deraillures, the cost of the 1x will offset the cost of repairs. Back when I used 3x drivetrains, I destroyed many front deraillures and rear cassettes. Doesn’t happen much anymore. Sometimes a bent front deraillure can wreck a rear cassette when things go wrong on the trail. If your conditions are clean, a 3X should work without issue.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:36 AM

Sorry to drudge this thread up but this is still an ongoing thing in my life and I'm still searching for input - and yes, still trying to make up my mind. I also went back and reread many of the replies and wanted to address this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I'm glad you're enjoying it. Maybe you'll find an end of season bargain. If you do enough volunteer and advocacy work you can qualify for outdoor gear at significant discounts.

We'll have to be shopping for one soon. It's looking like the scholastic bicycle league is sparking something amazing in one of my kids where he'll be outgrowing the used bike he's fixed up.

Good for you on the longer rides. I push to do some epic rides each season. So far nothing more than 4 hours this year. I'm wondering if age has me against some sort of wall. I'm still at it and loving it but an not yet able to get faster the year.

Therapeutic is an understatement. It's very important for me. I've posted before about the relationship my wife had and still has with the bike and cancer. My kid who joined the NICA scholastic league team is loving it and finding a lot of respect from the other kids and coaches. Like guitars, bikes are machines that also create some magic or super powerful stuff.

For parents, I've never seen a sports program so accepting of ALL kids as the NICA league teams around me.
That's a wonderful perspective. I'll have to search for that thread. My wife is certainly beginning to enjoy biking, though at her own pace. We are sort of a divided family right now with only one kid home but the one who is home could benefit from getting away from the screens and on to the bike that he only learned to ride 2 years ago when he was 9. He'll be able to fit on my Trek soon enough, if his 14 year old brother's rapid growth is any indicator.

Speaking of my 14 year old, he's severely autistic and required physical therapy early in life. Eventually, he learned to be quite well coordinated. I doubt he's coordinated enough to ride a bicycle, but after suffering turf toe during an elopement incident the bicycle is my best chance to catch up with him if he were to ever able to defeat our efforts to contain him. A little outdoor activity of his own would certainly benefit him - but that's a whole different story. Suffice it to say that riding (when he's looked after) and playing guitar are two big reasons why I'm still sane.

Meanwhile, regarding end of season sales I appear to have just missed one from Trek. That's how we got the deal we did on my wife's bike last year around this time of the year.

I won't get into the money squabbles my wife and I are having over this anymore, but right now I'm looking at 3 different Treks:
- Dual Sport 2 (MSRP $629, 24 speed road/gravel)
- Marlin 6 (2018: MSRP $519; 2019: MSRP $600, 24 speed entry level XC/commuter)
- Marlin 5 (2019: MSRP $519, 21 speed entry level XC/commuter)

Right now, the ideal choice with regards to what I'd be using it for would be the Dual Sport 2. I ride mostly for distance on packed/paved trails and gravel with infrequent ventures on back roads only when necessary and with 2.2" wide hybrid tires (slick in the middle with nubs on the outside) the 4900 has made for a decent ride when I keep it under 30 miles.

The ideal choice with regard to price would be the Marlin 5/late model Marlin 6 and I'd be looking at the larger frame size as well as the 29" tire option. From what I've read I'd be sacrificing agility for endurance, but I'm not a technical rider anyway. Hardtails have just proven to be more reliable than road bikes with skinny tires IME.

I'd get $50 in trade for my 4900 or likely be able to sell it for $100 or so given that the drivetrain is toast - but quite frankly I'm still inclined to keep it and tinker with it while waiting for my 11 yo to grow into it. It'd be cheaper than buying him a starter bike and what better Guinea Pig to learn how to upgrade/do regular maintenance on? I just need to make some more space in the basement/garage!

Looking forward, my wife has mentioned the desire to do an organized ride through the Florida Keys that is held every December. Given our autistic son's situation, I don't know how realistic that is - but at this point I'm ready to dare to dream. We have also kicked around the idea of renting an RV and traveling cross country with him once he's settled down from puberty and I could see having 3 or 4 bikes along. That's a long way off though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic