The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

When we got back from shopping this afternoon, we did some patio time with Rufus...

A nice coach moved in one site over and behind us. When we came inside our motorhome, I saw the guy was out on his patio playing a guitar. Joan said, "If you want to go talk to him, go. Don't bother him if they're doing something, though."

Well, he was doing something: he was playing a guitar. I went over and introduced myself to him. Judging by what I heard as I walked up, he was going to be a C-F-G kinda guy, but he had a good strumming pattern. We visited for a bit, and he said, "Go get your guitar and let's play for a bit."

He had never seen nor heard of a carbon fiber guitar. He was playing a Martin John Mayer Signature model... he told me, "I went into the shop and asked to see their most expensive guitar - this was it."

OK, not my style of talking guitars, but I did sit and play for a while. Mostly, I played what he wanted - he asked, "If you don't know these songs, how do you pick them up so fast."

"Patterns," I said, "They have similar patterns. I see what chord you're starting with and take it from there."

He told me he had been playing for almost 50 years, but "took a couple years off until he got this guitar last month."

He wife came out for a short time, complimented my guitar and the playing, then went back inside their coach.

Curiosity got the better of him and he asked if I wanted to swap guitars for a song... "Sure." His Martin has a very nice set up; nice tone. The first thing he noticed about the X7: "Wow! That's really comfortable!" I explained the bevels and rolled edges. Odds are pretty good he isn't going to order one right away, but it gave him something to think about.

Just doing my part to spread the word about carbon fiber... one guitar player at a time.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

I'd say he got lucky getting the JM Martin by just walking in like that and asking for the most expensive. I really like that Martin, I have played more expensive guitars that were real stinkers.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:58 AM

Default The Vision of myself as an artist

What goes with my guitars.... well:

That pretty lil thing does, my new wife.

The vision of myself being a good enough singer and player that wineries invite me back, that my friends ask me to play at BBQs.

My plan to write a rock opera and the dream that it succeeds and I have a solid album to show for it in a couple years.

The hope that I get to live a life of creativity and music like my hero, Colin Meloy of the Decemberists, instead of pounding out x-rays day after day for money.

My recently-recovered Roland TD11KV electronic drum kit also goes along with. HOLY DRUMSTICKS I'm having fun playing with that. Goal is to get good enough to do my own percussion for the album, however simple.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post

What goes with my guitars.... well:

That pretty lil thing does, my new wife.

The vision of myself being a good enough singer and player that wineries invite me back, that my friends ask me to play at BBQs.

My plan to write a rock opera and the dream that it succeeds and I have a solid album to show for it in a couple years.

The hope that I get to live a life of creativity and music like my hero, Colin Meloy of the Decemberists, instead of pounding out x-rays day after day for money.

My recently-recovered Roland TD11KV electronic drum kit also goes along with. HOLY DRUMSTICKS I'm having fun playing with that. Goal is to get good enough to do my own percussion for the album, however simple.

Your wife looks very much like Lari Basilio to my eyes. When I saw this pic I thought, “I’ve never seen her play a Sable.”

https://youtu.be/c8tbzXlNY1w
Old 07-09-2018, 06:25 AM

So a beautiful wife goes with a Sable..... hope mine works the same way. I might need my smaller McPherson too as extra incentive...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-09-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
So a beautiful wife goes with a Sable..... hope mine works the same way. I might need my smaller McPherson too as extra incentive...
That sounds like a wedding is in your future? If so, you got a FREE wedding photographer! Thirteen hundred special events to date but who is counting.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 AM

Well, I haven't been on a motorcycle in a really long time – so I guess for me, what goes with my guitars is hula dancers.

A pre-Emerald pic… sorry… but that Tacoma Chief is kind of a carbon fiber guitar, just made out of wood.

Not trying to make any of you old fossils jealous or anything…

Aloha nō kākou!

Old 07-09-2018, 10:08 AM

I don’t have motorcycles or motor homes. Or hula dancers.

My other passion, aside from guitars, is racquetball. I had an endorsement to play for a company for about 8 years- up until a few years back when I got too busy with life.

Sadly, a bad muscle injury this year has stopped me from playing for a while. I’m hoping to get back into it after some rehab.

The only video of me on the web is of me losing. And I won this set, I just lost the first game. But of course, game 3 of me beating him 11-2 ain’t on here! :-)

https://youtu.be/SBvd11KzsBc
Old 07-09-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
Sadly, a bad muscle injury this year has stopped me from playing for a while. I’m hoping to get back into it after some rehab.
Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!

Old 07-09-2018, 12:06 PM

I started with bicycles then motorcycles. In 1964 I had a 1951 Harley 125cc
Hummer, in 1966-68 I had a 1947 Indian Chief (1200cc) and a 1961 Harley
Pan Head Duo Glide. (believe it or not, hardly anyone wanted the big bikes
in the midwest when I bought them, just before the chopper craze hit the midwest.) My buddies all had Hondas and Suzukis, fast out of the gate but
at cruising speed my bikes purred and theirs sounded like sewing machines
that were ready to fall apart! I bought the Indian for $150 and rode it home.
I bought the Harley for $500 from a guy who needed bail money fast!

Sold them all in 68 when I was drafted.
After the service it was and has been all about canoes and kayaks until 3 years
ago when my body just wore out.

I began playing instruments in 1955 and the last 40 have been on guitar.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:20 PM

Do you think this might be a good huntin guitar?
I need to be less visible when I serenade the armadillos..

Old 07-09-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post

I saw a few of them, at NAMM... hard to see at first with the camo and all... wait.. I mean very easy to see as not a lot of woods and swamps and wild life things at NAMM... wait...lots of wild life at NAMM...mostly wild hominoids though.

Some of the said wild life having at El Capitain

Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 07-09-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:02 PM

Another rendition with a certain CF guitar designer...and my fav model at NAMM, Nichol...

Old 07-09-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post

I played that very guitar when I was at her place. Well, I assume it was that same one. Not my thing, but it’s pretty cool.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Another rendition with a certain CF guitar designer...and my fav model at NAMM, Nichol...

She might be our favorite too...that is if she can be 2 favorites. I kinda like that pattern on that guitar too....not sure I would buy it, but I like different.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber