The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-29-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
I got my 1st Diamond Slide from Ian a few months ago. It's the best slide I've ever used, and I've been playing them for 50 years.
Cute kid!!!!
Thanks! He's 6'2" 235 now. He outgrew the slide a few years ago lol.
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 12-30-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
Thanks! He's 6'2" 235 now. He outgrew the slide a few years ago lol.
Hope he's still got it. Great story btw.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:03 AM

Here's my little slide stash...not including my lap steel steel slides.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 12-30-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
Here's my little slide stash...not including my lap steel steel slides.
Despite being lighter than my Diamond slides, I am very very very fond of the "fiber optic" slides (the milky blue in your photo). It's my go to on my baritone National for some reason.

I use all of mine, and some seem to just end up being used more on some guitars than others. Brass Latch Lake on my Style N. Fiber Optic on the Baritone. Blue diamond on the Steel tricone. Leaded Crystal on the GS. I don't question why. It just is...
Old 12-31-2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
I like a slide long enough to cover all six strings since I'm usually in open tunings. Open G or A and open D or E.

Spent more time with the Derek Trucks slide last night while watching the Broncos beat the Chiefs, and I'm liking it more.

Liking the Broncos more too. Like 'em when they win.
The Broncos beat the Bengals last night. And we should trust your opinion of slides...

I like glass bottlenecks. I guess because my pinkie sweats.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
The Broncos beat the Bengals last night. And we should trust your opinion of slides...

I like glass bottlenecks. I guess because my pinkie sweats.
Ouch! Sorry about that.

Anyways...the Broncos announced yesterday that Peyton is now their back-up quarterback. If he's healthy enough.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 01-09-2016, 04:40 PM
Guest 2143

Smile

I have a couple of glass slides that I like, but 90% of the time I use a very heavy brass Rock Slide (heaviest one they sell). Gives me a deep tone and lots of sustain. It fits my ring finger well and I like the notch at the bottom as it allows me to bend the finger easily while chording.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:07 PM

I would never discourage someone from buying a Diamond Bottleneck, they are magnificent.

For perspective, though, I would point out that Derek Trucks played for years with the regular thick-walled Dunlop Pyrex slides that so many people view with disdain. Personally (not that I should be mentioned in the same paragraph as Trucks!) I use two of the brass slides in Gypsyblue's picture. On the right is the one with flared ends on both ends, which I use on acoustic. I also use an even thicker-walled brass slide with flare on one end called a Harris Slide for electric, one of which it looks like he has on the left in the back row, partially hidden. Both are just a few bucks.

The point being that you can do quite well with slides that don't cost much, even if you're not human (Trucks), so you shouldn't think anything "below" a Diamond is sub-par.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I

For perspective, though, I would point out that Derek Trucks played for years with the regular thick-walled Dunlop Pyrex slides that so many people view with disdain.
Well for additional perspective lets consider that Derek, while he can play fingerpicked acoustic slide ( I seed it with my whole eye!), is primarily an electric slide player. The demands on the slide itself are pretty low under those circumstances.

The reason a lot of us are speaking out about the dunlops is because this primarily an acoustic forum. So if you ask "what's a good slide", most are going to assume (rightly or wrongly) the question is about slides for acoustic guitar. And for acoustic playing, the dunlops are crap.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Well for additional perspective lets consider that Derek, while he can play fingerpicked acoustic slide ( I seed it with my whole eye!), is primarily an electric slide player. The demands on the slide itself are pretty low under those circumstances.

The reason a lot of us are speaking out about the dunlops is because this primarily an acoustic forum. So if you ask "what's a good slide", most are going to assume (rightly or wrongly) the question is about slides for acoustic guitar. And for acoustic playing, the dunlops are crap.
Yep, I wouldn't dispute that, heavy brass is the only thing I can get a decent sound from an acoustic with. I've always assumed that is because of my lack of technique, but maybe the materials play a greater role than I credited.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:28 AM

Old 01-10-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choucas09 View Post
That vid shows what looks like the pill bottle slide.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:47 AM

WOW!! Thanks for the kind words guys and i'm blown-away by those photo's ~ I remember well sending over that tiny bottle (actually the ink container from one of our workshop indelible marker pens!) ~ great to see the 'before & after' shots!

Slide On!

Ian (D.B's)
Old 01-14-2016, 05:06 AM

Wink

With much respect regarding vids of players featuring various slides on different acoustic instruments (and here at D.B's we got a LOT forwarded to us) in a similar fashion to the above ~ if the instrument (whether acoustic or resonator) has a pickup fitted on it and a cord going to outboard amplification ~ to me, that's an electric guitar, therefore the tone of that particular slide is only a minor segment of the whole signal chain

Slide On!

Ian.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Slides View Post
With much respect regarding vids of players featuring various slides on different acoustic instruments (and here at D.B's we got a LOT forwarded to us) in a similar fashion to the above ~ if the instrument (whether acoustic or resonator) has a pickup fitted on it and a cord going to outboard amplification ~ to me, that's an electric guitar, therefore the tone of that particular slide is only a minor segment of the whole signal chain

Slide On!

Ian.
Especially so with that (great sounding) vintage DeArmond pickup Derek is using on his 1932 L-00.

In a couple of weeks, I'll be sitting down with Derek to conduct an interview for Fretboard Journal. Let me know, all, if you have any questions for Derek.

Oh, and I'm a dedicated Diamond Bottleneck user. Thanks for making fabulous slides, Ian.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments