The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-28-2015, 06:58 AM

Default Derek Trucks glass slide

Got one.

It's big! Bigger inside than a Coricidan bottle and longer and heavier too.

Weighted at the end/bottom with thicker glass.

Nice looking but to big for my little finger.

I like the sound but the fit is to loose.

Better for players who put the slide on a ring or middle finger or those with big hands.

Doesn't work well for me yet. Gotta get used to it.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 12-31-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:00 AM

I had one actual Coricidin bottle that I just happened to find one day.... Didn't care for it.

Much prefer the standard "bottleneck" cut long enough to cover all the strings. Fit is important... If you're making your own from wine bottles it pays to check the fit before you cut!
Old 12-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Few things in the world are as personal as slide choice.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-28-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I had one actual Coricidin bottle that I just happened to find one day.... Didn't care for it.
Same here. Found one cheap in a "curio" store pre-internet. Who knew pinkies could sweat so much! Not a fan in any way of sealed end slides.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:41 PM

I have a Coricidin bottle too.

I use it sometimes.

It's lighter and shorter than the Derek Trucks slide but it fits me better.

But it's not my main slide.

I switch around a lot.

Have some glass Dunlaps and brass Dunlaps.

Some flared ones like a bottle neck.

Some old some new...

A bunch!

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 12-28-2015, 01:44 PM

I like these a lot: http://lostcountrymusic.com/Guitar_Slides.html

And these: http://www.silicasound.com/

Old 12-28-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
My "home" shop gave me a silica. I like the heavy tip, but overall, I find it way too light for serious acoustic work. Beautiful, and as I said the heavy tip is nice. If it was heavier throughout, and then doubled up in the tip, I'd use them a lot!
Old 12-29-2015, 04:17 AM

I had one of those silica ones - I'd forgotten about it, I guess I lost it somewhere along the line. I quite liked it and would get another if they had them around these parts. I'm now preferring a mudslide but keep dropping them so currently am using a cut off wine bottle neck while a new one ships over.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-29-2015, 05:17 AM

I discovered ceramic slides around twenty years ago and have pretty much stuck with them ever since. I currently use a Joe Perry (the shorty) and it's perfect for me.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choucas09 View Post
I discovered ceramic slides around twenty years ago and have pretty much stuck with them ever since. I currently use a Joe Perry (the shorty) and it's perfect for me.

I like a slide long enough to cover all six strings since I'm usually in open tunings. Open G or A and open D or E.

Spent more time with the Derek Trucks slide last night while watching the Broncos beat the Bengals, and I'm liking it more.

Liking the Broncos more too. Like 'em when they win.

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 12-31-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Do you mostly play electric? Or do you play strictly single note like an electric guy? I'm regularly barring across at least 5 strings, thumbing the root and finger picking on the 1st through 3rd string on the 4 and 5 chord in open G or D. I couldn't ever live with a shorty.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Do you mostly play electric? Or do you play strictly single note like an electric guy? I'm regularly barring across at least 5 strings, thumbing the root and finger picking on the 1st through 3rd string on the 4 and 5 chord in open G or D. I couldn't ever live with a shorty.
Yes I do play largely electric and at most pluck (i play fingerstyle on elecs and acos) four strings at a time.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Yes I do play largely electric and at most pluck (i play fingerstyle on elecs and acos) four strings at a time.
I have a super short brass slide that weighs about 4 pounds for that kind of playing I've had the thing since about 1981. Never seen another like it.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:54 PM

I have a custom slide made by Diamond Bottlenecks that I got years ago. I love it. It's made for my ring finger, and it's sort of a clear burgundy color. You can specify length, diameter, wall thickness, shape, color, etc.

The coolest thing is, I was talking about my son (only two or three years old at the time) on a forum that the owner frequented, and how he seemed interested in playing slide guitar after seeing me using my Diamond slide. The owner (I think it was Ian McWee) saw the thread and said he wanted to give my son a slide. A few weeks later, I go out to the mailbox and find a little miniature Coracidin bottle that was the perfect size for my son. Mailed from the UK, mind you. That really impressed me.

Here's the picture I posted that "Mr. Diamond" saw. Maybe he felt sorry for him, poor kid's parents can't even dress him properly:

Here are a couple of him with his new slide:

And here's a more recent photo of him singing with his band.

Diamond Bottlenecks makes a great product, and it's run by great people. Nick is thinking of making music a career, and there's no way to know how much that little slide had to do with getting him so turned on to music.
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 12-29-2015, 09:07 PM

I got my 1st Diamond Slide from Ian a few months ago. It's the best slide I've ever used, and I've been playing them for 50 years.
Cute kid!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments