The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
I remember reading in the thread postings about someone mentioning the T-bar handle, i didn't know exactly what that was but after you pinpointed that out knuckle-i looked and see what it is now. on the weissenborn i am learning to mute with both hands(fingers) so i'm sure i'll want to do this on a resonator-especially the stuff i want to play, so it appears my attention needs to be directed towards the single cone.
daryl
Whoa there guy! I play both single and tricones. I mute on both. It's different, but it's no more complicated. It's fine for someone to prefer one guitar over the other, but if they have a bad experience, or their technique doesn't work well with a certain design, it doesn't mean the equipment is at fault.

Remember, the tricone was the original national. And it was made for lap style hawaiian music with a square neck. The roundneck "normal" guitars came later.

In fact, I would say that if you currently play a weissenborn, you SHOULD get a tricone. I say that as a part time lap player, and I have both a cheap weissenborn copy, and '32 national square neck. The tricone is much more versatile, and "beautiful" sounding. If you want to sound like charlie patton, bukka white, son house, by all means get a single cone. I have one for that. But if you want to play a wide variety of music including slack key, jazz, more sophisticated blues, etc. get a tricone.

But rest assured. You can mute. Watch the master. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmKiD...eature=related
Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 PM

Well if your referring to me. I can mute a tricone. Here's one of me a few years ago. The song is butcher but folks seem to like it so I keep it up.

However. With the particular hand angle I use, I find it difficult to wedge my hand in where I need to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXEet7gTE6c

So I prefer single cones.

Here's a couple of mine, in case your gas is running low

and my most versatile

And my favorite
Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Whoa there guy! I play both single and tricones. I mute on both. It's different, but it's no more complicated. It's fine for someone to prefer one guitar over the other, but if they have a bad experience, or their technique doesn't work well with a certain design, it doesn't mean the equipment is at fault.

Remember, the tricone was the original national. And it was made for lap style hawaiian music with a square neck. The roundneck "normal" guitars came later.

In fact, I would say that if you currently play a weissenborn, you SHOULD get a tricone. I say that as a part time lap player, and I have both a cheap weissenborn copy, and '32 national square neck. The tricone is much more versatile, and "beautiful" sounding. If you want to sound like charlie patton, bukka white, son house, by all means get a single cone. I have one for that. But if you want to play a wide variety of music including slack key, jazz, more sophisticated blues, etc. get a tricone.

But rest assured. You can mute. Watch the master. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmKiD...eature=related
thanks for the reply, i'm talking out of my head with no idea of what i'm wanting-i definitely want to try both before i buy one-i just looked over my notes and i did seem to write down the tricone a bunch of times after listening to all the National soundclips. I need to take a day or two off and drive to someone like elderlys and just try all the models out-i do thank you all for opening ideas to me so i know more of what to check or look into. i've got some time before i have the funds ready to buy.

i'm starting to learn on my wood acoustic so i should have some basic idea of what i like to hear when i play them all.

daryl
Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

knuckle

those pictures are great!

I am drawn to a cutaway as my guitar is a 12 fret with cutaway and i like having that access.

I am particularly drawn to the high polish nickel cut models(haven't looked but i'm sure they are the big $).

what is the color/model of the "rust" colored one-thats cool looking too.

thanks
daryl
Old 01-20-2011, 07:17 PM

Black Rust is below. The one above is polychrome copper over steel. More of a baked on finish that kills some of the tone. The one below is steel with black rust finish.
The sound is amazing.

I've had the nickel plating over brass, I don't like it as much as steel. Steel has more vibrancy to it and character. Others will say the opposite though. Brass sounds dead to me with a very muted ugly bass tone. The bass tone on the steel's has highs and lows and a lot of definition. But most will say the opposite that brass has this. Brass is dead I think and very stiff. Steel seems to fluctuate more and you seem to get more tonal variation out of it.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
Well if your referring to me. I can mute a tricone.
No offense intended Knuckle. I don't know you from Adam, but the OP seemed to get the impression from you that it was difficult to mute a tricone. Black rust cutaway steel tricone?! With type 4 neck inlays and a custom headstock overlay? Jeepers! That's not off the standard line! Gorgeous!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
thanks for the reply, i'm talking out of my head with no idea of what i'm wanting-i definitely want to try both before i buy one-i just looked over my notes and i did seem to write down the tricone a bunch of times after listening to all the National soundclips. I need to take a day or two off and drive to someone like elderlys and just try all the models out-i do thank you all for opening ideas to me so i know more of what to check or look into. i've got some time before i have the funds ready to buy.

i'm starting to learn on my wood acoustic so i should have some basic idea of what i like to hear when i play them all.

daryl
Well youtube is also good for audio on old blues guys. Check out some Son House for single cone, and Tampa Red for tricone. They are at the extremes of the single cone vs. tricone scale. Son House, powerful single cone country playing. Tampa Red Sophisticated, nudge nudge wink wink precise delicate tricone slide work. I think Tampa would be a household name if it wasn't for the kazoo
Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well youtube is also good for audio on old blues guys. Check out some Son House for single cone, and Tampa Red for tricone. They are at the extremes of the single cone vs. tricone scale. Son House, powerful single cone country playing. Tampa Red Sophisticated, nudge nudge wink wink precise delicate tricone slide work. I think Tampa would be a household name if it wasn't for the kazoo
will do, and thanks
daryl
Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
No offense intended Knuckle. I don't know you from Adam, but the OP seemed to get the impression from you that it was difficult to mute a tricone. Black rust cutaway steel tricone?! With type 4 neck inlays and a custom headstock overlay? Jeepers! That's not off the standard line! Gorgeous!
It's difficult for ME. As for everyone else, they seem to do ok. cool? I play very strange. Not like others. I love the tone of the tricone, but the handrest on the single cones suits me better. I wish they'd make a tricone in a single cone body. They did actually, but could only do a polychrome powder coat finish on it to hide the weld marks and those finishes destroy the tone.

Yes, besides the NRP, I have them built custom. I like headstock overlays and the specific inlays. But my favorite is that resorocket. The thing will tear paint off the walls but is very unforgiving of mistakes as well. It's a volatile instrument.

I'd advise you play a tricone and a single cone to see what you prefer. Of course, no matter which one you buy, you'll want one of the other too. So save up about 5k
Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
But my favorite is that resorocket. The thing will tear paint off the walls but is very unforgiving of mistakes as well. It's a volatile instrument.
Yeah, I had a rocket. Definitely the most challenging of the modern ones to control. I loved it, but it went away to make room for my squareneck. I had to choose between the rocket and my radiotone bendaway. I kept the wood. Partly for a different sound, and partly because I loved it as much as the rocket, but only one of them was discontinued.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:42 PM

Please stop with the pictures..You're killing me : )
Old 01-27-2011, 02:51 PM

More pics you say?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Check out "Lenny's" Vintage National site. He's got the best selection of vintage and new Nationals anywhere. Len's the man.

http://nationalguitar.com/

I own a Dobro DM33 and a National Style O. The Dobro has a spider bridge and the NRP has the biscuit bridge. The NRP has a much fatter bass, but they are not known for sustain. The Dobro has a lot more sustain, but has a brighter "bluegrass" tone. I'm longing to get a NRP Tricone which I believe would have the full tone of a biscuit, but with sustain like the Dobro. I guess there's just no pleasing me.

I think Knucle has been single-handedly keeping NRP going through this recent recession.

drive-south
Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 PM

Yeah, I don't own all those now, just 3 resos, now and soon starting another custom National rocket.

Yes, I want to ensure National stays in business. Because other than National, there's not much for resonators out there.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Wink

i just popped for this today:

http://tonewoodguitars.com/catalog/product/151

if it doesn't come thru, its on the "recently added" list and is the 12 fret NRP in brushed finish(the listing has a wrong spec list for it). Very basic, hand rubbed nickel, mahogany neck,12 fret, ebony fretboard, stamped headstock.

Artisans has one of these also, and both places kept mentioning the real nice round smooth tone these brushed nickel ones carry. I'm at the very starting point and will need some time to figure out in the end where i want to go with this-but i think this model will help get me there.

Thankyou to all who helped, and especially to knuckle and blue for all the excellent info.

You folks might should check out ToneWood Guitars-Pat is a real nice guy and very helpful-a one man shop, he carries some fine instruments.

daryl

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments