The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2018, 06:07 PM

Default Has anyone ever tuned UP a half step?

For the first time in my nine years of playing guitar I tuned UP a half step. Mainly because I felt the youtube lesson I got it from sounded too low.

Got me wondering if anyone ever prefers (the sound of) their tunes a bit higher, either by tuning up or (using your capo one down from standard).

Last edited by Rosewood99; 08-25-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:21 PM

i like to capo the first fret. Sounds just right. and wicked comfortable to boot
Old 08-21-2018, 06:24 PM

I've capoed up but never tuned up, with the exception of some alternate tunings.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
For the first time in my nine years of playing guitar I tuned UP a half step. Mainly because I felt the youtube lesson I got it from sounded too low.

Got me wondering if anyone ever prefers their tunes a bit higher.
That’s a surefired way to crank up the tension on the strings and crack the top or mess up the neck joint. If you need an excuse for a new guitar, this is a great way to go.

George
Old 08-21-2018, 06:31 PM

Why stop at 1/2?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-21-2018, 06:37 PM

I kinda doubt the 1/2 step increase in tension is going to be detrimental in any way. Guitars are simply not that fragile and some alternate, higher tunings routinely used prove that.

I think I see the OP's question, if for nothing more than to retain perspective with the fret markers, instead of capo'ing and losing them as references. It's all in the mindset to forget the markers and reference the capo position only.

I capo a lot on an unmarked board (classical) so my reference is the capo in all cases.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Why stop at 1/2?

Also why bother with lining?

Actually, the natural resting position of the right arm should fix that right up.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:54 PM

With capos there is no reason at all to tune up, and they do not increase string tension, which is a bad idea........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-21-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
That’s a surefired way to crank up the tension on the strings and crack the top or mess up the neck joint. If you need an excuse for a new guitar, this is a great way to go.
A half step will not hurt the guitar unless maybe your guitar is made of balsa wood.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:12 PM

Yes. Johnny Cash did,on the early records. I played in a tribute act, and tuned up to keep the sound of open strings in key (I was Luther Perkins)

The guy who was Johnny had several guitars tuned up for years, with no ill effects...his main axe was a Martin, but here he is on a borrowed Luna after Midway airport temporarily lost his luggage...I'm the longhair on telecaster.

No Ill effects whatsoever. If you're worried, go a gauge lighter in strings.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-21-2018, 07:23 PM

My post was more about whether anyone likes the sound of songs tuned up a half step rather than the harmful (or not harmful) effects.

This was the first time a song sounded better to me. I have found many more songs that sound better tuned down a half step.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
Light gauge strings tuned E-e are about 160-165 pounds of total tension. Mediums tuned E-e are about 185 pounds. I'd have to look it up, but I'd bet going up by 1/2 step is no worse than using mediums. Modern well-built guitars have survived mediums for decades. The biggest issue is whether the G string would break. It is already the thinnest core wire on the guitar, and stressed near its limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Yes. Johnny Cash did, on the early records.....
Are you sure about that? It was an old studio trick in the analog tape days to speed things up a bit when mastering. It added crispness to the tone and helped to hide pitch and rhythm variations. Lots of old recordings are 1/4 or 1/2 step higher than A440, or sometimes an odd amount. No digital tuners back then.....
Old 08-21-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Why stop at 1/2?

That one's opening up nicely. ^^

I'd be too nervous, as I use either L/M or Medium strings. I occasionally tune the 6th all the way to G, but that's about it.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:38 PM

I like songs up 1 fret and as high as capoed up 7.
It all depends on the song and vocal range.
The banjo player in our band loves to capo up 2 or 3 frets for the tone that he gets on some of his instrumentals.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Light gauge strings tuned E-e are about 160-165 pounds of total tension. Mediums tuned E-e are about 185 pounds. I'd have to look it up, but I'd bet going up by 1/2 step is no worse than using mediums. Modern well-built guitars have survived mediums for decades. The biggest issue is whether the G string would break. It is already the thinnest core wire on the guitar, and stressed near its limits.

Are you sure about that? It was an old studio trick in the analog tape days to speed things up a bit when mastering. It added crispness to the tone and helped to hide pitch and rhythm variations. Lots of old recordings are 1/4 or 1/2 step higher than A440, or sometimes an odd amount. No digital tuners back then.....
Yes, I'm sure. E was...relative....especially when there's no piano.

http://youtu.be/xObSJWIWui0

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion