The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2018, 10:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Who knew losing a guitar pick would be such a disturbance?

I too am minus a Blue Pick. A TD35 with my name on it. I squarely put the disappearance of this grossly expensive, but oh-so-good item on 2 of my grandchildren: ‘Captain Destroyer’ (4 year old boy) and ‘Tornado Warning’ (2 year old girl). Well, it’s either them or Mr Forgetfull-me...not sure.

Anyway, looked everywhere before I ordered a replacement which now resides in a varmit-proof location. A pick this expensive should come with a locating device built-in or something. No?

PS I still love these two to no end.
Those rug rats are cute but pesky. Good strategy. We're expecting our first next year.

sm
Old 08-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Default prov1x

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrj View Post
Yes! I have the same problem with golf balls. Although a sleeve of Titleist Velocity has lasted 3 rounds now! lol I went with them vs the Pro-V1s because they were cheaper. Maybe I should just use range balls.
I've found if I buy Prov's all at once and get 5 or 6 dozen...#1 you get them cheaper and #2 It doesn't hurt as much....but...unless you are shooting in the 70's...the other Titliest are just fine....BUT NO TOP FLIGHTS!!!
Old 08-18-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I've found if I buy Prov's all at once and get 5 or 6 dozen...#1 you get them cheaper and #2 It doesn't hurt as much....but...unless you are shooting in the 70's...the other Titliest are just fine....BUT NO TOP FLIGHTS!!!
Back when I played golf, I found that the quality of my swing affected my score far more than the quality of my golf ball.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:45 AM

first world problems are just terrible!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-18-2018, 01:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatini View Post
Back when I played golf, I found that the quality of my swing affected my score far more than the quality of my golf ball.
Early in Tiger Wood's career, Jack Nicklaus said, "He plays a game with which I am unfamiliar." The same could be said of my golf game, but in the opposite direction.

memmer
Old 08-18-2018, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
Yes but Andy, you didn't lose it then, did you?
From Thursday to Saturday ... yes.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I keep these three in my pocket. A Wegen Bluegrass 1.0, the BC TD35, and the ever faithful Ultex.

The downside is, if I lose one, I lose all three...….
I currently keep my collection of premium picks in a leather pouch. Between three BC's, a bunch of Hense picks, two Hawk Casein and three Fast Turtles, probably about $300 if I were to lose it.

I should change that arrangement, I know. Not a good idea.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-19-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Early in Tiger Wood's career, Jack Nicklaus said, "He plays a game with which I am unfamiliar." The same could be said of my golf game, but in the opposite direction.

memmer
Actually, Bob Jones said that about a young Jack Nicklaus.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Ha! When I lived in my first home here in Corvallis, I had this nice big easy chair... didn't use it for playing, but I'd put my picks, tuner, etc., on the arm of it within reach of the straight backed chair I used for playing while sitting...

Of course, my little Boston Terrier loved sitting in that chair, and she would do, whenever I wasn't in it.

One day, I noticed that my Blue Chip pick was NOT on that chair arm... looked high and low and all about... wasn't concerned that the dog ate it, as she learned early on not to MESS WITH MY GUITAR/MUSIC STUFF!

After exhausting all other options, I cam to the conclusion that, somehow, that chair had EATEN my pick! I searched through it as much as I could without actually ripping it apart and found nothing...

Flash forward a year or so later... had to relocate; found a new place and was packing up everything, getting ready for the move. Had to downsize considerably due to the new, smaller space, and I put that chair and matching sofa up for sale.

I'm 67 now, low back nonsense rampant, and that sofa and chair were HEAVY! I got some younger friends to move them down to the garage for viewing and sale... but before they took the chair out, I pulled the bottom tacks from the cloth covering underneath... and low and behold!

There was my Blue Chip pick, rattling around the inner springs and mechanics of that chair!

Sometimes, good things just come back to you...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-19-2018, 03:10 PM

I'm glad Blue Chip aren't clear. I dropped a clear V Pick on the floor and couldn't find it for days. Naturally, I had ordered a dozen of them by the time I found it.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post

Ha! Yes, we used to call them “Rock” flights!
Scott
Old 08-21-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Ha! When I lived in my first home here in Corvallis, I had this nice big easy chair... didn't use it for playing, but I'd put my picks, tuner, etc., on the arm of it within reach of the straight backed chair I used for playing while sitting...

Of course, my little Boston Terrier loved sitting in that chair, and she would do, whenever I wasn't in it.

One day, I noticed that my Blue Chip pick was NOT on that chair arm... looked high and low and all about... wasn't concerned that the dog ate it, as she learned early on not to MESS WITH MY GUITAR/MUSIC STUFF!

After exhausting all other options, I cam to the conclusion that, somehow, that chair had EATEN my pick! I searched through it as much as I could without actually ripping it apart and found nothing...

Flash forward a year or so later... had to relocate; found a new place and was packing up everything, getting ready for the move. Had to downsize considerably due to the new, smaller space, and I put that chair and matching sofa up for sale.

I'm 67 now, low back nonsense rampant, and that sofa and chair were HEAVY! I got some younger friends to move them down to the garage for viewing and sale... but before they took the chair out, I pulled the bottom tacks from the cloth covering underneath... and low and behold!

There was my Blue Chip pick, rattling around the inner springs and mechanics of that chair!

Sometimes, good things just come back to you...
Funny, I dropped mine down into a BROWN LEATHER chair the other night. It took a little effort to find it.

I would have never given that much effort had it been the same color Primetone.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 08-21-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I just bought 30 Fender extra heavy picks at Gryphon yesterday for $9. I think I'm gonna lose one for the fun of it......
Fair enough...but I paid 30 bucks for my Red Bear more than two years ago, and that's the last time I've bought a pick. Won't be long before I'm in at $10/year--with awesome tone to boot. Take care of your stuff, and lavishness starts to become very frugal...
Old 08-21-2018, 09:07 AM

I buy the Gibson picks 50 at a time . . . still on my first batch
Old 08-21-2018, 12:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitz81 View Post
Fair enough...but I paid 30 bucks for my Red Bear more than two years ago, and that's the last time I've bought a pick. Won't be long before I'm in at $10/year--with awesome tone to boot. Take care of your stuff, and lavishness starts to become very frugal...
Yes, casein is very durable and long-lasting if you follow common sense in care and feeding. Most players will lose a high-end pick before it wears -- esp if you're my age.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion