The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-14-2018, 05:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=BluesKing777;5808803]I looked up the Gibson TGL-5, but couldn't find anything, Howard. Google kept taking me to Gibson L5 archtops. Is it an archtop?

BK,
Yes, it's a 16" archtop that started life as a tenor. The Master Model Label says TGL-5. The original owner, Louis Baumann, like many of his generation, started as a tenor banjo player. When guitar became the rage, the manufacturers didn't want them to have to learn a new instrument, hence the onset of the tenor guitar.

The engraved truss rod cover has his stage name 'Lou Bernie'. Here is mine....

https://goo.gl/images/ryBkVM

And here is a tenor version that is, in fact, from the same factory order batch of 5 units shipped from Gibson the same day:

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/show_mando.pl?3934

HE

Last edited by Howard Emerson; 08-14-2018 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 08-14-2018, 08:11 AM

[QUOTE=Howard Emerson;5809080]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I looked up the Gibson TGL-5, but couldn't find anything, Howard. Google kept taking me to Gibson L5 archtops. Is it an archtop?

BK,
Yes, it's a 16" archtop that started life as a tenor. The Master Model Label says TGL-5. The original owner, Louis Baumann, like many of his generation, started as a tenor banjo player. When guitar became the rage, the manufacturers didn't want them to have to learn a new instrument, hence the onset of the tenor guitar.

The engraved truss rod cover has his stage name 'Lou Bernie'. Here is mine....

https://goo.gl/images/ryBkVM

And here is a tenor version that is, in fact, from the same factory order batch of 5 units shipped from Gibson the same day:

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/show_mando.pl?3934

HE

Thanks Howard!

Love it! I have seen your youtube here before and it came back to me - you are the masochist with the giant bottleneck! Sounds great!
I also watched some of your live work with the Lucas style guitar. Fantastic. And another bare right hand finger player! Has its foibles, doesn't it? I just got over a miniature cut from cooking, I think, on the right thumb exactly where I hit the strings. It doesn't take much to stop the music...

Look what I have in my collection!

1935 Gibson Black Special. (L50):

BluesKing777.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

BK,
Gorgeous example of an L-50! It don't get any nicer than that, especially in the black finish!

It's essentially a 'poor mans' 16" L-10, which was, in reality, an L-5 with less than perfect wood, simple inlays, etc, so they black-lacquered it. After 1934 they got bigger & gaudier.

Your L-50 is the perfect combination of simple elegance!

HE
Old 08-14-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
BK,
Gorgeous example of an L-50! It don't get any nicer than that, especially in the black finish!

It's essentially a 'poor mans' 16" L-10, which was, in reality, an L-5 with less than perfect wood, simple inlays, etc, so they black-lacquered it. After 1934 they got bigger & gaudier.

Your L-50 is the perfect combination of simple elegance!

HE
Thanks!

The Gibson has the same neck as my new Waterloo WL-14X! Waterloo is easier to play though.... If you look at my photo above, you can see the difference in the rosewood board - not just the light - some guitarist has pounded out Freddie Green comps on it for most of its life and worn the deeper 4 string area of the board, rarely if at all, touching the high strings! Never seen that before in my life.......usually worn on the high strings.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell