The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-13-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
It is my personal theory that there are far less genuine music lovers than we think.
I suspect that most hear a repetitive beat surrounded by some banal tune, and can bob around to their hearts delight.
I don't men this in any demeaning way, we humans respond to rhythm (think unborn babes and mother's heart beats), but complex chords? sophisticated melodies? great orchetrations ? Not for everyone.
With all due respect, I take some issue with the idea that knowing/recognizing/appreciating complex chords, etc., are what define who is or isn’t a “genuine” music lover. Maybe I’m taking it personally, but I don’t know much about theory or orchestration, but that doesn’t disqualify me from being a genuine music lover. I don’t think one has to be able to deconstruct a piece to be able to appreciate it. Nor do I think that complexity is a sign of sophistication or higher art, especially with something so visceral as music.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
although they don't dislike music, they don't actively like it.
I had a girlfriend 50 years ago who was right there.

Thank goodness she liked other things. Alot
Old 11-13-2020, 10:54 PM

My late mother hated everything.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-14-2020, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

I don’t know anyone who actively DIS-likes music, but I’ve known a few people who don’t really care about it one way or the other. They hear if on TV and occasionally coming out of the radio, but they don’t have any favorite artists, they don’t really LISTEN to it. It’s just there, but they don’t really go any deeper than that. Hard for me to relate because music has been a REALLY big deal for me for as long as I can remember, but I know there are people like that out there.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I went to a physical therapist and told him I was a musician. I asked him what kind of music he likes, and he replied, he really isn't interested in music. First and only person I ever met that didn't like any kind of music. I can't imagine!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-14-2020, 08:42 AM

Oliver Sacks, the late clinical psychologist, wrote a number of books on various psychological/brain quirks, including “The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat.”

In his book “Musicophelia”, he explores various oddments that have to do with music, including the phenomena where people not only don’t like music, they find it painful and distressing.
The most soothing tune becomes discordant, obnoxious noise.

Would seem to be a dreadful situation.....
Old 11-14-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I personally have never encountered someone who actively dislikes music. Some, like many of us, are obsessed with music, which seems appropriate. The average person might like a few things and dislike others but essentially be indifferent to it, just regarding it as part of their aural environment. I’m like that with colors.

Unless something is the color of a lifeboat I pretty much don’t care what color it is, which tends to simplify car shopping. If I were tortured to tell you the color of my kitchen, I could not. And I’m sitting in it now. I’ll tell you what it is after I look up. (Pause). OK, it’s some sort of light, minty green.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:32 PM

I had a chat with a friend about music many years ago and was completely surprised at what he listened to in a song. We liked many of the same songs and I just assumed that he listened like I did.

I started to tell him about what I liked about a particular song in some detail. I liked how the bass line did X, the way the vocalist and the back up singers harmonized on the chorus on three separate phrases, the way the drummer played during the instrumental part of the song, etc. He looked at me very strangely and said he liked the way the song sounded, but did not hear anything that I was describing. Neither of us had any musical training. People just hear music differently.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 11-14-2020, 02:12 PM

How about this guy?

Old 11-14-2020, 03:19 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
My late mother hated everything.
Mine too with the exception of religion. I can count the number of times she laughed in our 15 years together on one hand.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 11-14-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:53 PM

This thread needs a positive spin.

My mother loved music and listened regularly to music on the radio, LPs, and on television. She was among the best mothers I have ever met. She was kind, thoughtful, supportive and helpful. When we were children and became sick. She became a character she called, Dr. Fart. She would make us laugh with her comedy routine and administer whatever medication was appropriate while soothing our distress at having a sore tummy, etc. She was like a momma bear strong and determined to care for her cubs despite the challenges she faced raising three kids, doing all the housework and holding down a full time job that did not pay well. Dad was awesome too, working hard labour jobs and growing fruit and vegetables in the yard. We had the best vegetable garden in the neighbourhood and dad insisted I deliver boxes of vegetables to our neighbours because “we cannot eat all this stuff.” It was a home filled with love. Dad taught me the importance of saving money and I did. I fully retired at age 54.

I had the opportunity to spoil them with my time and with gifts through their senior years and to see both the joy and the love in their faces. I am very grateful to have had such good parents and I miss them. We were also good friends.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
How about this guy?

That is both music and furniture abuse. I can see that being converted into a desk with some shelves in the back. A little deconstruction, create a flat surface, a bit of sanding and a light stain, voila!

Old 11-16-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Same as several have said already, I know a number of people who I wouldn't say are music haters, but they certainly don't like it. My sister for one. My best friend listens to talk radio exclusively. We worked together for years and we took turns driving. The driver got to pick what we listened to. In fifteen years he never chose music.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 11-16-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:53 PM

Can’t say I know anyone that doesn’t like music completely, though some really hate certain types/genres of music. For me I like almost all music, especially if it is played live.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 11-16-2020, 07:02 PM

I don’t know anyone who actively dislikes music, but I know a bunch who are indifferent to it. Shake my head.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic