The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-15-2020, 12:06 PM

My father took Lorozapam for about 30 years or so. During that time, he somehow discovered that the drug was "addictive," so he quite it cold turkey. He ended up in the hospital. Apparently, stopping suddenly like he did can be dangerous. The doc asked him why he had stopped taking his Lorozapam, and he told the doc he didn't want to get "hooked" on drugs, to which the doc replied, "What the hell do you care, you're 89 years old!'

1936 Martin R18
Bourgeois Vintage D
Gibson F5 Goldrush Mandolin
Wildwood Balladeer Custom 5 string Banjo
Old 11-15-2020, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

You're not supposed to stop high blood pressure meds cold turkey either. Probably allot of meds shouldn't be stopped cold turkey.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-19-2020, 04:07 AM

Hi Davis, thank you for sharing your experience regarding your panic attacks and anxiety. It's not always an easy thing to do and it's heartwarming to read all the replies here. Based on my personal and professional experience I would like to offer my thoughts... Medication has it's place in treating the symptoms you express and as others have said, it's important to seek medical advice from your doctor. It has been known for over 40 years that the benzodiazapine group of drugs do have "addictive" side-effects but, along with other groups of drugs e.g anti-depressants, they do have a place in treating mental health problems under the appropriate medical supervision. Whist psychotherapy can seem daunting, it can be very helpful in the long-term and as others have said, CBT/ Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is used extensively now with positive outcomes. I wish you well for the future.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Hi Davis, it's been a while. How are you doing ?

Just to say, that we are still thinking about you.

Any chance your doc could refer you to CBT - it really worked for me - it's not a "magic" cure, it just helps you understand what is happening inside your head and why which makes it so much easier to handle.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:47 AM

As several above have mentioned CBT has been proved to be as effective, and in many cases more so than medications. Grab a copy of Feeling Good and put some time and effort into it. Be warned; yes, it can be uncomfortable to mentally "revisit" personal traumas and unpleasant events that have perhaps shaped how you experience and interpret things in your life. But it does work, and useful to have around to refer back to when you're having a tough time.
Good luck.
https://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Good-...s%2C200&sr=8-2
Old 11-23-2020, 01:19 AM

Hi Silly M and others

Things are okay now. I have the ativan at home for episodes and only used it once. *he gave me 5 tablets, no potential for abuse'

So far so good, I am taking medication for my breathing now, who would think post nasal drip could trigger panic attacks? But it did and now I am on a steroid to control that along wiht 24 hour Reactine. Now that I don't have breathing issues, those cannot trigger anxiety (feedback loop of difficulty breathing creating anxiety that makes it harder to breath normally!_.

As for CBT< I have had CBT for other issues and know its value. But for sleep disorders and such things, well, it was a disaster! Just a horror show.

However, for getting some control of my life in other ways CBT was great. Its promoted more than it deserves but its valuable for what it can do, help you stop blaming the world!

Thanks so much all. I look forward to a good holiday season masked, distant but not emotionally distant.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

Davis: I'm glad to know that you're on the mend. Be well....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic