The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 03:56 PM

Default Need Advice on Yamaha Acoustic

I am a new member to the Forum, and this is my first post. I have been following AGF for many years to assist in the purchase of many used Yamaha acoustics. I am still learning to play; this has been on my bucket list most of my life. I just love Yamaha guitars. The build quality, even on my Taiwan-made guitars, is, in my humble opinion second to none. I am also on the small side, and the modified Jumbo body suits me.

I'd love to get some feedback about a couple of vintage Yamaha guitars that I have seen listed on Ebay and Reverb. One is a Taiwan custom-shop LL35, and I think it's a 1986 model. The other is a L-15, hand-made in Japan, in flawless condition. Both are solid wood models, with spruce tops and rosewood b/s.

I have also pondered buying a new LL26, however, I know that the resale is not there, and for what a new LL26 costs, some would recommend a Martin D28. I have never played a Martin, and I am not certain that the neck profile would be comfortable for my smaller hands. I have read so many reviews of LL16D and LL16M models since those are also under consideration. A better value perhaps though they are not made in Japan.

I would appreciate any feedback since I know many of you are Yamaha experts. Thanks!

Yamaha DW-15
Yamaha LD-10
Yamaha FG-461S
Yamaha FG- 450SA
Recording King RD10
Old 03-29-2020, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlNextDoor View Post

I am a new member to the Forum, and this is my first post. I have been following AGF for many years to assist in the purchase of many used Yamaha acoustics. I am still learning to play; this has been on my bucket list most of my life. I just love Yamaha guitars. The build quality, even on my Taiwan-made guitars, is, in my humble opinion second to none. I am also on the small side, and the modified Jumbo body suits me.

I'd love to get some feedback about a couple of vintage Yamaha guitars that I have seen listed on Ebay and Reverb. One is a Taiwan custom-shop LL35, and I think it's a 1986 model. The other is a L-15, hand-made in Japan, in flawless condition. Both are solid wood models, with spruce tops and rosewood b/s.

I have also pondered buying a new LL26, however, I know that the resale is not there, and for what a new LL26 costs, some would recommend a Martin D28. I have never played a Martin, and I am not certain that the neck profile would be comfortable for my smaller hands. I have read so many reviews of LL16D and LL16M models since those are also under consideration. A better value perhaps though they are not made in Japan.

I would appreciate any feedback since I know many of you are Yamaha experts. Thanks!
In general, Yamaha quality is superb. I recently bought a Yamaha LL-TA TransAcoustic, made in China, and it sounds very good both acoustically and plugged-in, and it plays easily, and the craftsmanship is mighty good too.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-29-2020, 04:06 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Sorry I can’t answer your question but wanted to welcome you
Martin D-16e
Goldtone CCR100 Banjo
Fender Albert Hammond Jr. Strat
Fender Player limited edition Cherry Burst Strat
Fender Squire Classic Vibe Tele
Old 03-29-2020, 04:08 PM

Can't provide any input on vintage models, but I have a new FSX5 and it is excellent. I can say without a doubt that it competes with the Martin 00-18. and you can get the FS5 (no pickup) model for $1200, or less if you shop around for a used one.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:12 PM

Nothing says you can't play a bigger guitar when smaller but since you mentioned it, have you considered the LS model and the LJ model? Both should be a little more comfortable. The LJ model would be the model that is somewhat more comfortable without giving up as much on volume vs. the LS model.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:14 PM

Hi GirlNextDoor

Welcome to the AGF!

I have owned an LL-35 and it was fantastic. I currently own a L-20A which is the next model up from the L-15 you mentioned. Again that guitar would be fantastic as well.

You could not go wrong with either guitar, and both will sound fairly similar. Now, the LL-35 is made of "Jacaranda" rosewood. Jacaranda is a nick name that Yamaha has used for many types of exotic rosewoods including Brazilian and Madagascar and Coral rosewoods, all of which Yamaha has used since the late 60's early 70's on their upper end models. The LL-35 that I owned appeared to be made with Madagascar Rosewood. The L-15's are made with Indian Rosewood. They will both sound similar, with maybe...MAYBE...the Indian Rosewood L-15 sounding a touch smoother and warmer/deeper...MAYBE.

Either guitar is really equally well made. If you are buying online, I would go with whichever looks better to you, just basic aesthetics, and/or whichever seems in better shape or is a better price, or any combination of factors thereof.

You WILL NOT go wrong with either!!! They are both really superb guitars, and I would stay with one of those two over the LL-16 and even the LL-26, though the LL-26 is also on par quality wise with the LL-35 and L-15.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-29-2020, 04:26 PM

Welcome to the forum from someone who knows absolutely nothing about Yamaha guitars.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Howdy, and welcome to the board!

Yamaha makes wonderful guitars.

I’m no expert, but I will tell you the LL16 necks are fatter than the modern FG/FS 700/800 series Yamaha’s. My Martin neck is slightly smaller than the Yamaha FG Yamaha series.

I switch between all these and various SG and Strat necks regularly. My hand is large but with very short, wide fingers, with my pinky barely passing half the length of my ring finger. Over the years I have always found some way to work around this shortcoming (pun intended).
Old 03-29-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I would appreciate any feedback since I know many of you are Yamaha experts.
I am not in that group, but I'd also like to extend a welcome. In my short time here, I've learned quite a lot.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:51 PM

I owned an L-20A for over 35 years.
It was a great guitar and for a long time it was my go to guitar.

Things have changed in my life and I decided to part with the L-20A to help fund an LL-16-12 Yamaha.
I am very impressed with the LL-16-12.

If the LL-16 sounds as good as the LL-16-12 does, it would be a great choice.
The LL-26 is priced a bit too high for my taste.
As you said, you are now into Martin prices and they will always have a better resale market.

The best buy on a high end Yamaha is the used market.
Let someone else take the hit on the selling price.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Admittedly I don’t have any direct experience with older Yamahas. I have seen lots of good comments on here over time though about them more generally.

I can speak to direct experience with the LL26/36/56 Yamahas...Having just took delivery of one in the last week. Resale aside, which I could care less about because this guitar will never be sold, I’m blown away. I have no idea how bad the resale is on them. If you care greatly about that then perhaps it might not be an option for you, you should assess how bad it could be, etc. Incredible guitars either way...

We may be heading into a time period where a lot of guitars don’t have the best resale...Time will tell...

I will never buy a guitar based on resale. I know there are others out there like me, and others who greatly care about the issue. You sound like the latter.

Here is a link to some impressions I gave for my recent purchase in the event that it might be helpful. To a large degree this would also apply to the LL26/LL36 —>

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=575912

Good luck with your decision, and welcome to the party.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-29-2020, 05:42 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I don't have much experience with Yamahas though I did own a Yamaha dirt bike when I was a wee lad.

My old Yamaha laminate SJ is a great beater for my classroom and camping. Sounds great and plays so easily.

Good luck with your search. There aren't better values out there than those dang Yamahas!
scott
Old 03-29-2020, 06:45 PM

Thanks for your suggestion! I hadn't really considered an LS or LJ model.

Yamaha DW-15
Yamaha LD-10
Yamaha FG-461S
Yamaha FG- 450SA
Recording King RD10
Old 03-29-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Admittedly I don’t have any direct experience with older Yamahas. I have seen lots of good comments on here over time though about them more generally.

I can speak to direct experience with the LL26/36/56 Yamahas...Having just took delivery of one in the last week. Resale aside, which I could care less about because this guitar will never be sold, I’m blown away. I have no idea how bad the resale is on them. If you care greatly about that then perhaps it might not be an option for you, you should assess how bad it could be, etc. Incredible guitars either way...

We may be heading into a time period where a lot of guitars don’t have the best resale...Time will tell...

I will never buy a guitar based on resale. I know there are others out there like me, and others who greatly care about the issue. You sound like the latter.

Here is a link to some impressions I gave for my recent purchase in the event that it might be helpful. To a large degree this would also apply to the LL26/LL36 —>

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=575912

Good luck with your decision, and welcome to the party.
Truth be told, I get very attached to my guitars, and in the beginning of this journey, I had many friends pounding me about saving up for a Martin for various reasons, the least of which is that my guitar instructor is very fond of bluegrass music and I love it too, and asked him to teach me some songs. Regardless, I acquired the guitars that I have without a thought about selling them, and how much money that might bring. I am certain that if I pursue the purchase of any high-end Yamaha, I won't be selling it. If I learned anything from researching guitars through this forum, I learned that it's important to choose a guitar that speaks to you, regardless of the logo that is printed on the headstock. My only regret is that I didn't start learning earlier. It makes me happy when I play, even though I have many hours of practice ahead of me. Thanks for your feedback everyone!

Yamaha DW-15
Yamaha LD-10
Yamaha FG-461S
Yamaha FG- 450SA
Recording King RD10
Old 03-29-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion! I hadn't really considered an LS or LJ model.
Hi, I hope my experience may be of interest to you as well. I have both the LJ16 and the LS16 (I also have an LD10 - and an LL16-12).

The LS16 is a smaller bodied guitar than what it appears you are used to and although it's a good guitar, I feel it is lacking in bass compared to LL and LJ models.

The LJ shape is very comfortable and does not feel small at all. My LJ16 is my everyday guitar, used for loads of gigs and lessons, so much so it's going to need a refret soon! The LJ shape appears to be the least common L series body shape so it can get forgotten but I think it's the best body shape.

So if you are considering a chinese made 16 series Yamaha do check out an LJ16.

You can't lose with any of the models mentioned though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
yamaha acoustic, yamaha ll16, yamaha ll35