The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-04-2015, 04:59 PM

Is the belly bulging?

I had a FG260 that was fixed by replacing the Maple bridge plate, and a custom ground Taylor saddle, with a dremel job on the bridge to reduce string weight.

But mine did stay in tune.
Mako early 80's strat copy.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Yeah, but what will happen to the neck if you ever remove the turnbuckle and the cable ... ???
It's irrelevant Mac, the guitar may well implode if he does but why would he need to?

I too have done a neck reset by simply sawing the heel through to the fingerboard. It was my sons £40 'Hondo', a seriously bad guitar but for travelling around Europe on a coach (he was a dancer) it was just fine and very playable afterwords. He eventually bought a better guitar for home and the Hondo went into a skip in Germany when the airline demanded significantly more in excess baggage than the guitar was worth to bring it home (I was slightly teed off 'cos he'd promised it me as a slide guitar when he stopped touring).

I wouldn't do it to a decent instrument but the reset lasted several years and cost a couple of pounds for the epoxy.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 12-15-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Yeah, but what will happen to the neck if you ever remove the turnbuckle and the cable ... ???
It will return to it's previously BENT condition, however............. I currently have two projects going but after those I intend to do away with the yamaha neck completely and install a bolt on neck. The heel block thickness will have to be increased but when finished I will be able to set angle and pitch any way I chose.
That has nothing to do really about the current problem - the neck is BENT, not out of pitch or angle. The proper way to UNbend a neck is to remove the fretboard and plane or shim to flatten it, re-truss and replace the fretboard. I'm currently doing this on a Silvertone F-hole. I would do this also with the Yamaha but I want a higher quality neck added to the equation.
BENT was also probably the OP's problem. Re-angling the neck won't do anything to fix a bent neck. You just don't see that many necks out of "angle", it's always BENT, especially these Japanese built Yamahas with the great bodies and lousy necks.
Don't complain about my turnbuckle method, it was 30 years ago and I did what I had to do to make a trashed guitar playable
Now, this FG200 I have is an amazing sounding guitar and to finish it up with a high quality bolt on neck is going to make it top notch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair