The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 AM

Default Copyrighting original music

Forgive me if there may be hundreds of posts in the forum about how to copyright your own material, but I can't figure out how to do an effective search on my question.

First, I can create music, but I don't read music and I can't transcribe. I know there are some software programs that advertise that they can do this, but...I'm not going there.

The point is, I've written some songs and performed them over the years, and I want to record them now. What does it take to copyright a song? I would think copyrighting lyrics would be pretty straightforward, but what about copyrighting the music or the arrangement? Does the music/arrangement have to be transcribed?

Thanks in advance for advice, even if you can take the time to point me to a thread that's already been down this road.

2003 Taylor 855ce (K&K 12)
2012 Taylor GS Mini hog (DiMarzio Black Angel)
2012 Taylor K26ce WW (Custom Shop)
2023 Taylor AD26e SE baritone
2019 Deering Goodtime II banjo
Epiphone SG Special (for noodling)
Old 08-12-2012, 06:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kottkenut View Post
Forgive me if there may be hundreds of posts in the forum about how to copyright your own material, but I can't figure out how to do an effective search on my question.

First, I can create music, but I don't read music and I can't transcribe. I know there are some software programs that advertise that they can do this, but...I'm not going there.

The point is, I've written some songs and performed them over the years, and I want to record them now. What does it take to copyright a song? I would think copyrighting lyrics would be pretty straightforward, but what about copyrighting the music or the arrangement? Does the music/arrangement have to be transcribed?

Thanks in advance for advice, even if you can take the time to point me to a thread that's already been down this road.
In the US it is basically a matter of going to the US Copyright web site and downloading your tracks. You no longer have to submit the written music.

As far as what you need to do being in Kabul, Afghanistan? I have not got a clue.

HE
It Ain't Necessarily So: http://howardemerson.com/music2.html
Old 08-12-2012, 06:55 AM

Even before you could register a copyright online, you could send tapes or CDs of recorded music. Now, you can simply upload mp3s. I don't think it matters where you are, as long as you can get to the website, but don't take my word for it. Read about it here. If you still have questions, I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who can help. Here's a link to the US Copyright Office:

http://www.copyright.gov
Old 08-12-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
Even before you could register a copyright online, you could send tapes or CDs of recorded music. Now, you can simply upload mp3s. I don't think it matters where you are, as long as you can get to the website, but don't take my word for it. Read about it here. If you still have questions, I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who can help. Here's a link to the US Copyright Office:

http://www.copyright.gov

great info, thx for the link. J.D.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:40 AM

If you really want to transcribe your songs, there are transcription services these days. I read an article in sound on sound about this, look it up. I recall it wasn't even that expensive.

Of course you dont need this for copyright. The way the law is constructed in the western world, your intellectual property is yours the moment you create it. In practice you need to prove some kind of creation date, so uploading it somewhere is a good idea.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
If you really want to transcribe your songs, there are transcription services these days. I read an article in sound on sound about this, look it up. I recall it wasn't even that expensive.

Of course you dont need this for copyright. The way the law is constructed in the western world, your intellectual property is yours the moment you create it. In practice you need to prove some kind of creation date, so uploading it somewhere is a good idea.
Yes....and if you record with Pro tools or the like; your session has
an automatic date attached to it. That's how I keep track of all my
songs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD