The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-02-2018, 07:22 AM

Default David Bromberg - Last Night

Caught the David Bromberg Quintet at a local venue last night in Port Washington, New York.

About 1/2 the set was electric, mostly blues, the other half was not.

The acoustic set was simply wonderful. A couple of tunes with the acoustic, a mandolin, a fiddle, bass and drums. A couple acappela, a couple solo acoustic.
Martin guitars and Gibson F5 mandolins.

His lead guitar player (I believe Mark Cosgrove) was very impressive.

Great blend of folk blues, Irish fiddle tunes, and rock blues.

Been a fan since the early '70s, and while he - like all of us - has aged, he was still entertaining and able to play in the way that only he can. Played some VERY sweet acoustic slide.

If this tour is coming near you, catch it.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:34 AM

Bromberg is a consummate guitarist , funny, totally entertaining. I used to sit on the floor 3 ft. from him at The Ark in Ann Arbor. There was a documentary about him on Amazon awhile ago - may be gone now.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I’ve been a fan for a long time. Living in NE we have had many opportunities to see David play over the years. Great performances.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

I was lucky enough to see him with his big band (70-'80s?) at the Cambridge Folk Festival. One of those gigs that you remember! Everyone in the band seemed to double something completely different.

A great entertainer!

Got all the albums!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:39 AM

Saw that documentary. It was well done.

I've been a fan for 40 years. Seen him in everything from college gyms to Town Hall in NYC.

As he said last night, "I'm going to try this fiddle tune, let's see how it goes. I'm old now. Didn't mean it to happen, but it snuck up on me." He played well. Not the David of many years ago, but a solid worthwhile performance.

It's wonderful that he still performs.

Glad I went. Very entertaining and the time flew by.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:40 AM

He played 2 Tele's, his signature Martin acoustic, and an F5 at various points. He didn't pick up the fiddle, the young guy he had playing that did a great job.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:41 AM

The first time I snuck into a club when I was underage (17) was to see David Bromberg play at Ma Blues in Dallas in the 1970s. I brought an album and he signed it. His versatility was/is an inspiration to me.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:26 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I was lucky enough to see him with his big band (70-'80s?) at the Cambridge Folk Festival. One of those gigs that you remember! Everyone in the band seemed to double something completely different.

A great entertainer!

Got all the albums!
I was there as well that year, Andy!

IIRC it was 1975 (or '76) His big band gig was indeed sensational. Did you also catch him earlier in the day at the guitar workshop, with Dick Fegy (R.I.P) ?

Those were the days ... Isaac Guillory, Paul Geremia, David Bromberg, Dick Fegy and several other lesser known names, who were all nonetheless superlative players.

Hope you are surviving the weather down there ... everything still at a standstill up here
Old 03-02-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Saw that documentary. It was well done.
Would love to see that DOC, but cannot find it anywhere (PBS, Netflix, Showtimw, HBO etc.)
Old 03-02-2018, 10:33 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OBnZZBFQi0

https://www.amazon.com/David-Bromber.../dp/B00IT4DJ3Y
Old 03-02-2018, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, I just put it on the TV while I eat lunch!
Old 03-02-2018, 11:12 AM

Arrrrgh .... video unavailable on Youtube on this side of the pond, and Amazon won't send the DVD either ...what's that all about ?

Fortunately I have a contact in the US who will buy it and ship it.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:28 AM

I was fortunate enough to start seeing him play at the Main Point outside of Philadelphia back in 1969 as both an opening act as well as Jerry Jeff Walker's sideman. Over the years David has continued to provide a great show. Yes, he has slowed down a bit, but not much.

I think one of the keys to his success over the long haul has been his choice of musicians to play with. Whether on stage or in the recording studio, David has always surrounded himself with top notch players - Norman Blake, Dick Fegy, Andy Statman, John Firmin, Mark Cosgrove, etc. The list goes on and on.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:49 AM

Bromberg is ( or "was", and I assume still is) possessed of a razor sharp wit which he demonstrated to great effect during the workshop at the Cambridge Festival I referenced above.

He cracked me up several times, but none more so than when Stefan Grossman (who was compering) asked Tommy Gilfellon, who had just finished playing a song on some weird multi-string bouzouki type instrument ..."Hey Tommy, how do you tune that thing ?"

Quick as a flash, Bromberg leant forward and said , "Hey Tommy, why do you tune that thing ?"

I found out years later that Bromberg and Gilfellon had been friends for many years, so the "insult" wasn't as barbed as it seemed at the time.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:00 PM

One Sunday night at The Ark (early 70's) Bromberg was playing solo and out of the blue Norman Blake walked in. The rest of the night was something special.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN