The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-29-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gibson View Post
I'll chime in here and recommend a professional set up. I bought a new J 45 about 4 years ago. After playing it a couple of months, I decided I just didn't like it. It wasn't comfortable to play more than about a half hour at a time. Decided to sell it. Before I was able to sell it, I decided to invest a few bucks in a set up. I really liked the sound, and it was a nice contrast to my other instruments so, I thought it was worth a shot. Took it to a guitar tech that is a pretty well recognized guitar wizard in my area. He took one look at it and said "oh my". He leveled the frets, filed a couple of the nut slots, filled another one and turned the truss rod about a 1/4 turn. Plays like a different instrument. I gig with it now. Bunch of little things added up to a BIG difference in playability. Key is finding a tech that knows what he's doing.
Finding such a tech in South Africa will not be easy.

Thanks
Ronnie.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 AM

By the way, thanks to all for input.

Ronnie.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:44 AM

Default Resolution

So I went to see the dealer today. The guy who sold me the guitar (the only guitar salesman) also happens to be the in-house tech. I was not aware of that.

He measured the action and came up with a number close to mine. The result was no quibbles at all from the dealer. They will adjust the guitar to meet the Gibson standard to start with. We will take it from there as to whether I would like any further fine tuning.

I guess being the main salesman just does not allow them to check and adjust even higher end guitars. Probably easier to respond to customer queries when they arise.

Thanks for the help. Gave me a better understanding of my problem, even if only basic, and helped with my discussion with the dealer().

Ronnie.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:24 AM

Glad you got that sorted out.

I am sure you will really enjoy the J-45!
Old 01-14-2016, 12:37 AM

I had the same problem make the neck as close to straight very little relief don't back bow it!!! Be careful or have a pro do it
Don't be an idiot and lower the saddle if you did get a new one on Amazon they have the exact tusq saddle for gibsons
Gibsons saddles need to be super tall and the neck straight. So it won't be hard to play at all and it will have a ton of volume and fat swinging balls tone.. I lowered my saddle like an asswipe too
Old 01-14-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie DP View Post
I understand what you are saying. Here is my take:

1) I was assured by the dealer that the guitar has a lifetime guarantee, except if abused by me in some way.

2) with the guitar comes a QC checklist, presented to me by the dealer. Do I not have a right to expect the guitar to meet the spec (there is no statement, nor was I advised, that the actual measurement may vary at time of purchase. Fineprint ). I can expect on closer inspection to find some variation, but changing from a QC measurement of 2.4mm to at least 4mm? If this ( the spec variation) is a fair expectation, then I guess I have been rather naive.

Having said that I will be taking the guitar back to the dealer. And I will put up one heck of a fight

Ronnie.
Gibson's at our local shop are nearly ubiquitously poorly set up from factory. Nut slots high, saddle high, combined with growing bow in the neck from a new truss rod equals high possibility of 4mm action with nothing wrong with the guitar except for need of proper set up. I haven't seen one new Gibson that wasn't way out.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Last edited by Ned Milburn; 01-14-2016 at 04:55 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair