The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-03-2019, 03:38 PM

Default Emerald Amicus question

I just bought a used blue Amicus from a known dealer. First if someone here traded or consigned this recently thank you thank you thank you as it’s a WONDERFUL instrument and I’ve been waiting almost a year for one to pop up. This instrument exceeded my expectations.

Question though. When it came the dealer shipped it strung with a typical 12 string set of lights with that higher octave course with everything standard tuned A to A. So basically it’s currently like playing a 12 string guitar capo 5. I’m assuming they did this because they were unfamiliar with the factory specs and wanted to ship it with new strings. Tension *feels* fine and if anything I suspect the feel is probably looser than factory specs/ strings.

So my questions are 1) the current A to A tuning with a light gage 12 string set on is safe right? 2) I’ve ordered the custom string sets to match factory spec. Should I even bother to change them? I’m really enjoying it as is and am wondering what strings and tunings Amicus owners have experimented with. I’m not sure I will like it better if funded D to D factory specs
Old 11-03-2019, 05:14 PM

Like it? Leave it.... just suggestin'
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like it’s on the right side of the tension equation - if it sounds good, and plays well, I’d agree with Kramster, and say leave ‘er alone.

I’d love to try an Amicus. I have a strong suspicion that it would easily wheedle its way into my collection as Emerald #3...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-03-2019, 06:44 PM

It is fun to play!
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-03-2019, 07:16 PM

imo the acoustic strings and the D tuning that EM ships it with are too high tension.
I tried several sets on mine and found that it works better for me with
Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky Electric Guitar Strings 8-38s X 2 @ B, C, or D.
With the original acoustic strings I had to tune down to G before it felt and sounded right.
Don't worry about harming it.

Congratulations on your new Amicus!

Pics of mine: https://spark.adobe.com/page/HCzB4MdL03DzS/

Old 11-04-2019, 08:39 AM

I received the custom factory spec string set yesterday but I think I'll just roll with what's on it for a awhile yet.

The Amicus also sound very good plugged in to, of all things, a Fender Princeton Reverb circuit.

Pic

Old 11-04-2019, 10:48 AM

They sound great plugged in!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

I bought my Amicus used, and it arrived tuned to the equivalent of standard tuning Capoed on the 7th fret. I liked the sound and just kept it tuned that way.

I think I’ll go play it right now.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
I bought my Amicus used, and it arrived tuned to the equivalent of standard tuning Capoed on the 7th fret. I liked the sound and just kept it tuned that way.

I think I’ll go play it right now.
Guess I better play mine now was well... we may be the only 2 playing one right this minute...cool us

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber