The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-02-2019, 11:30 AM

Default Is there a perfect preamp match for the DiMarzio Black Angel?

I’m pulling the Baggs M80 from my Taylor 322. As much as I love it the thing has an audible click when you catch the pickup that cannot be EQ’d out.

I’ve settled on a Black Angel as a replacement. Are there any particular preamps people are using with their black angels that are a match made in heaven?

I’ve got a Fishman Tonedeq and platinum stage I can use but I’m always happy to buy new gear if it’s worth it!

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 11-02-2019, 12:53 PM

I don't know that when you have good preamps it's a largely a matter of skill, assuming you don't have a mismatch somewhere (impedance?). You should be able to get dialed in pretty closely with the ToneDEQ.

I "auditioned" a number of preamps, including the Fishman Stage and the Baggs PADI... and settled on the Fishman Platinum Pro. The ToneDEQ is a little simpler from an EQ standpoint as you don't have to learn to fiddle with the middle freq sweep function and should be fine. The one feature I love on the FPP is the compression, which you have on the ToneDEQ. I didn't realize how much compression could help.

I say try what you have first with the Black Angel before looking for more ancillary gear.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-02-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I’m pulling the Baggs M80 from my Taylor 322. As much as I love it the thing has an audible click when you catch the pickup that cannot be EQ’d out.

I’ve settled on a Black Angel as a replacement. Are there any particular preamps people are using with their black angels that are a match made in heaven?

I’ve got a Fishman Tonedeq and platinum stage I can use but I’m always happy to buy new gear if it’s worth it!
That "click" is a feature, of course - the m80 is basically a mag+SBT all in one, and it's vibration sensitive.

I don't think there's such a thing as a universally agreed-on preamp match for any pickup. Different preamps may sound different, but a combination I like may not sound good to you, etc. The Black Angel is passive, tho, so input impedance will affect it, which doesn't mean there's any single impedance that's "best", it just means some preamps may sound different (better or worse, or just different) just from the input impedance. There are some preamps have have adjustable input impedances, like Grace Felix (5 - if I recall right - different switchable impedances), so that might be worth checking out - hard to beat that as a preamp in any case. There's also Radial's Firefly DI which is meant for mag pickups, with a sweepable "drag" control, basically adjustable impedance, meant to fine tune a mag pickup.

Last edited by Doug Young; 11-02-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

My favorite for best sound with the BA is the sunnaudio stage. I used it
when I could. The lack of boost feature and lack of true 'gain' was an occasional limitation. I used it with the XLR out .

The Baggs Venue was great and the PADI was fine. I had trouble dialing is
the Grace Alix & Mesa Rosette. The Red-eye Twin is fine with the gain
feature....not the plain Red-eye . The Fishman Platinum Pro is ok but
provides a more clinical presentation that works better with my Sunrise.

I would say that the BA/sunnaudio = Sunrise/Fishman Plat Pro EQ sonically
but with a different feature set.

I have a couple of spare BA's if you need one.

Good luck...the BA is a great PU and very user friendly.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

You can't eq out you hitting your pick on the pickup... the dual source-ish ability of the M80 uses the pickup to amplify the top vibrations. You have to adjust your technique or maybe adjust the position of the M80; it's worth a try, especially if you like the tone... as a longtime M80 user, I never had an issue with striking the pickup. Best wishes either way, Black Angel is a wonderful choice.

Last edited by noledog; 11-02-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Yo🧵u can't eq out you hitting your pick on the pickup... the dual source-ish ability of the M80 uses the pickup to amplify the top vibrations. You have to adjust your technique or maybe adjust the position of the M80; it's worth a try, especially if you like the tone... as a longtime M80 user, I never had an issue with striking the pickup. Best wishes either way, Black Angel is a wonderful choice.
It’s all down to my style and not the pickup. I’ll be keeping the M80 as I do like it, it just doesn’t fit with my style when I’m gigging.

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 11-02-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
My favorite for best sound with the BA is the sunnaudio stage. I used it
when I could. The lack of boost feature and lack of true 'gain' was an occasional limitation. I used it with the XLR out .

The Baggs Venue was great and the PADI was fine. I had trouble dialing is
the Grace Alix & Mesa Rosette. The Red-eye Twin is fine with the gain
feature....not the plain Red-eye . The Fishman Platinum Pro is ok but
provides a more clinical presentation that works better with my Sunrise.

I would say that the BA/sunnaudio = Sunrise/Fishman Plat Pro EQ sonically
but with a different feature set.

I have a couple of spare BA's if you need one.

Good luck...the BA is a great PU and very user friendly.
Thank You! I picked up a mint and boxed BA a few days ago and it should be here any day.

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 11-02-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I don't know that when you have good preamps it's a largely a matter of skill, assuming you don't have a mismatch somewhere (impedance?). You should be able to get dialed in pretty closely with the ToneDEQ.

I "auditioned" a number of preamps, including the Fishman Stage and the Baggs PADI... and settled on the Fishman Platinum Pro. The ToneDEQ is a little simpler from an EQ standpoint as you don't have to learn to fiddle with the middle freq sweep function and should be fine. The one feature I love on the FPP is the compression, which you have on the ToneDEQ. I didn't realize how much compression could help.

I say try what you have first with the Black Angel before looking for more ancillary gear.
I love the compression on the tonedeq - I wish it had sweepable mids but every pedal/preamp seems to come with compromises

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 11-03-2019, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

I went from an M80 in my Martin D15 to a Baggs M1 Passive. The lowly M1 Passive with a good preamp to boost signal and EQ a tad is a great combination. I use a Venue DI for what it’s worth.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

My Black Angel has sounded good through a variety of amps and PA systems. It’s not fussy. For what it’s worth there is some magic happening when you pair the BA with a good tube preamp or a DI such as the Demeter Tube DI.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:

I have this issue with the m80 as well, if u play near the pickup and your nails hit the pickup , it’s clicking clackety. But the basic sound of the pickup is pretty good.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone tried The Angel or Black Angel with the Boss VE-8?
Old 11-05-2019, 04:41 AM

Got my BA installed last night and i can dial in a good sound with my tonedeq. I’ll run with that until something else pops up and catches my eye. Really like the sound of the BA !

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 11-05-2019, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Has anyone tried The Angel or Black Angel with the Boss VE-8?
You can increase the 'guitar sensitivity' parameter on the VE-8 and see if
it works for you. I always preferred to run the BA thru a preamp with gain
such as a Venue, Red-eye twin, or Fishman Plat Pro when running thru
the VE-8. With the preamp, the sound is very good.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:43 AM

https://www.studiocare.com/ridge-far...re-di-box.html

Last edited by RobKay; 11-09-2019 at 03:05 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification