The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-26-2019, 05:02 PM

Default Epiphone 339 thoughts......

Does anyone own or have experience with the above guitar in the pro model or the P90 style? I’m relatively inexperienced and welcome any thoughts on the two types. I am working on playing blues and have two US Fenders, a Tele and Strat. Both are great guitars. I’ve found that even though my skills are minimal, my gas is massive! Musicians Friend has the P90 model on sale for $379.00. I would love to have a semi hollow! Thanks for any replies.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:45 PM

Several years ago I bought the Epi 339 Ultra (the direct predecessor of the 339 Pro - difference being the Shadow Nanomag acoustic-electric pickup mounted at the end of the fingerboard, versus the Pro's coil-tap capability, as well as built-in USB port direct-to-software recording capability which I never use) by mail order, also at a tempting sale price. About the only good feature IME is the pickups - Epiphone has really gotten their act together in this department, and the humbuckers in my 339 sound every bit as good as the ones I had in my first-run mid-80's Gibson SG '61 Reissue...

Unfortunately, the 339 falls short in every other respect: overall fit/finish is what you would customarily expect in a lower-end Chinese guitar (in every possible pejorative sense of the term), took a lot of time/money/work - far in excess of a normal new-guitar setup job (including a full-length grind-&-polish - not just an odd fret or two that needed a tweak - and a new nut) - to bring it into a state even approaching playability/proper intonation, and the grossly-mislabeled "Slim-Taper D" neck is anything but (instead being a cheeky, chunky, hard-rectangular profile that was apparently designed to accommodate the musculoskeletal hand anatomy of a chimpanzee ). I remember well the Korean-made Epiphone hollows/semis of the '90s/early-2K's - the ones that cemented their reputation as a real force in the low-midprice bracket, and still maintain a cult status among savvy budget-minded players - and it was on that seriously-mistaken assumption that I bought this one...

If you're looking for a hollow/semi on a shoestring budget, I'd recommend bypassing the current Epiphone lineup in favor of the Ibanez offerings - IME they own this segment of the market, and while QC doesn't meet up to your USA Fenders they're serviceable, solidly-built, easily-upgraded instruments that'll provide years of reliable service with a routine pro setup job; in the absolute, however, I'd sooner invest a few more bucks in one of the Korean-made Gretsch 5400/5600-Series Electromatic hollows/semis (FYI they started going over to Chinese production after Summer NAMM, so be careful as there are a few key differences). If you do a topic search (or even scour threads from the past month or two) you'll find a lot of very satisfied, experienced owners here on the AGF, and with good reason: they aren't just good instruments "for the money," they're good instruments by any standard (QC exceeds many of the Brooklyn originals in their day - as an ex-Brooklyn boy I've probably played a few hundred in my lifetime), with professional-level tone/playability right out of the box - and the under-$1K (sometimes well under) just makes them an even sweeter deal...
Old 10-26-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Several years ago I bought the Epi 339 Ultra (the direct predecessor of the 339 Pro - difference being the Shadow Nanomag acoustic-electric pickup mounted at the end of the fingerboard, versus the Pro's coil-tap capability, as well as built-in USB port direct-to-software recording capability which I never use) by mail order, also at a tempting sale price. About the only good feature IME is the pickups - Epiphone has really gotten their act together in this department, and the humbuckers in my 339 sound every bit as good as the ones I had in my first-run mid-80's Gibson SG '61 Reissue...

Unfortunately, the 339 falls short in every other respect: overall fit/finish is what you would customarily expect in a lower-end Chinese guitar (in every possible pejorative sense of the term), took a lot of time/money/work - far in excess of a normal new-guitar setup job (including a full-length grind-&-polish - not just an odd fret or two that needed a tweak - and a new nut) - to bring it into a state even approaching playability/proper intonation, and the grossly-mislabeled "Slim-Taper D" neck is anything but (instead being a cheeky, chunky, hard-rectangular profile that was apparently designed to accommodate the musculoskeletal hand anatomy of a chimpanzee ). I remember well the Korean-made Epiphone hollows/semis of the '90s/early-2K's - the ones that cemented their reputation as a real force in the low-midprice bracket, and still maintain a cult status among savvy budget-minded players - and it was on that seriously-mistaken assumption that I bought this one...

If you're looking for a hollow/semi on a shoestring budget, I'd recommend bypassing the current Epiphone lineup in favor of the Ibanez offerings - IME they own this segment of the market, and while QC doesn't meet up to your USA Fenders they're serviceable, solidly-built, easily-upgraded instruments that'll provide years of reliable service with a routine pro setup job; in the absolute, however, I'd sooner invest a few more bucks in one of the Korean-made Gretsch 5400/5600-Series Electromatic hollows/semis (FYI they started going over to Chinese production after Summer NAMM, so be careful as there are a few key differences). If you do a topic search (or even scour threads from the past month or two) you'll find a lot of very satisfied, experienced owners here on the AGF, and with good reason: they aren't just good instruments "for the money," they're good instruments by any standard (QC exceeds many of the Brooklyn originals in their day - as an ex-Brooklyn boy I've probably played a few hundred in my lifetime), with professional-level tone/playability right out of the box - and the under-$1K (sometimes well under) just makes them an even sweeter deal...
Do any of the above guitars match the 339 in size? Due to a shoulder issue I had to stop playing acoustic guitars and go electric. I have no issue playing electric guitars but thought the 339 size would be beneficial to me.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:34 PM

I would not disregard the MIC ES-339 until I've played a couple. Find a store that has both the Ibanez and the Epi (and any other brand) and see which one you like the best.

There are good deals on these models the time. I know you are GASSing but don't be in too much of a hurry, LOL. Play them first if you can.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
Do any of the above guitars match the 339 in size? Due to a shoulder issue I had to stop playing acoustic guitars and go electric. I have no issue playing electric guitars but thought the 339 size would be beneficial to me.
If it's a matter of weight the full-hollow 5400-Series E-Matics scale in somewhere in the low seven-pound range - same as a 339, and about a pound less than many USA Strats/Teles - and although they're 16" bodies they're only about 2" deep, so there shouldn't be a problem on either count if you use a 3" or wider strap...
Old 10-26-2019, 09:38 PM

I bought an Epi 339 P90 model a little over two years ago, and this is my experience. Steve's post higher in the tread tells me more about why he's so soured on them.

The pickups sound great and have several excellent sounds in them depending how you play and where you put the volume knobs. For some reason (does this impact how they sound?) they are not wired as paired single coils often are, they are so they are not noise cancelling with both pickups on. P90s can buzz, it's the nature of the beast.

The neck is an unusual profile on mine, I think the same thing as Steve is speaking of on his. There's a fair amount of shoulder. I like fatter necks, and have issues with some super thin ones the way I play. I tend to play with my thumb less wrapped around the bass string side more often than many players. I don't have an issue with the neck profile, though it's not my favorite or anything.

I ordered a Epi 335 Pro (full sized body, humbucker pickups) at the same time. If figured I'd choose between them, but ending up liking both too much. The 335 has the same neck profile. The frets on the 335 came perfect. My 339's frets were not, it had two slightly high frets up around the 14 to 16 fret area. I have some fretwork tools and used to do this stuff myself because I was too poor to have someone else do it, and resolved the issue.

I'm not sure if Steve would comment on the construction quality of my example and make the same report he did on his example. My eyesight is not great and my outlook on the small details of a guitar's cosmetics is to frankly not notice or care. For example some folks look at the edges of a guitar's f holes and wish to see a bound edge or if not, a perfectly smooth surface with no mark on any part of it. I never look or care. I don't consider either 2017 example I bought to have an issue with how I think it was put together in a cosmetic sense. I actually like how the 339 looks in it's Pelham Blue with black pickguard, knobs and pickup covers, more so than the 335 which is a yellow/brown sunburst (not my favorite color). Maybe its a factor in my eyesight, but I love having colorful electric guitars around even if the small details of inlays and such are beyond my notice.

My understanding of the Asian factory made stuff (not just Epiphone) is that there may be multiple factories, and brands even switch between them. So the Q/C and even parts used can vary for "the same model" and with loose Q/C some real stinkers can get let through.

Here's my subjective bottom line: I play my 339 a lot. I love how the pickups sound. It's reasonably light (some semi-hollowbodies aren't), I can get around the neck fine. I like how it looks in my lights. Yes, the smaller body is handy. In my case I'm always trying to engineer myself, and sometimes have a "producers hat" to wear with other musicians, and a big hollowbody gets in the way when someone screws with the level they gave me, or I need to arm a track or adjust something right as a take is starting while wearing a guitar around my neck. It's my third P90 guitar, and it's my favorite with that kind of pickups.

I respect Steve's opinions on things greatly. This may be one of those cup half full, half empty things, but I want to stress that the sound in that half cup is really good for the 339 P90 model.

By the way the 335 Pro is pretty good too. I don't play it as much as the 339 with P90s, but Epiphone humbuckers used to give me nothing I liked, and the ones in the Epi 335 Pro are decent. At lower volumes, cleaner tones I think I get a little more hollow-body resonance factor with the 335 than the smaller body, but you've already decided you want the 339 form factor.

If you are comfortable with possible returning and planning for that, I'd strongly consider ordering one and seeing what you think with the example you receive. I thought about returning mine for the two frets, but I was so inspired by the sound that I didn't want to let it go.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-27-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Does anyone own or have experience with the above guitar in the pro model or the P90 style?
I have a 339 P90 Pro and love most of it. I've also had the HB version.

I've tried a few P90 versions and the weight differences are noticeable - my Pelham Blue's a little over 6 pounds, while a black one I tried was almost 7.5. The HB one was in that range, so try a few.

Steve and I agree about the neck profile - I'm not a fan of Epiphone's Slim Taper D that it seems to put on all of its semi-hollows. Not as deep as I like, and more shoulder than I like. I prefer a mid/deep C, or shallow V. The neck is the most important thing, to me. That said, it doesn't make me want to get rid of the 339, BUT I've got other semis with better necks. Would I have the 339 as my only guitar, or only semi? I don't know. All I know is, whenever I play it, I think to myself that it's a pity the neck's not better, for me.

I agree with those who liked the P90 Pro pickups - great for what I do and I'd go so far as to put them in something else. I wasn't a fan of the HBs, BUT the guy I sold that guitar to made them sound great when he tested it out, so that one's on me, it seems.

I somewhat agree with Steve re: fit/finish. The Pelham Blue came to me via ebay with noticeable fret sprout, a function of not using fully dried wood during manufacture, which wood then shrinks while it dries, exposing the fret ends. But, that's it - mine's otherwise flawless. I had to make a minor intonation adjustment, which is typical even on the Gibsons I have. My frets were level and I have no buzz anywhere even at 3/64 for bass E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you're looking for a hollow/semi on a shoestring budget, I'd recommend bypassing the current Epiphone lineup in favor of the Ibanez offerings - IME they own this segment of the market, and while QC doesn't meet up to your USA Fenders they're serviceable, solidly-built, easily-upgraded instruments that'll provide years of reliable service with a routine pro setup job; in the absolute,
I have no experience with Gretsch, but I have a nice Ibanez ASV10a (a relic'd AS 73) which is great, though it's larger than you're looking for. I love the Classic Elite pickups. Fit/finish is perfect. The neck on my ASV10a is purposely a very chunky C, which is likely thicker than you'd find on the AS 73/93/153.

Quote:
If you want to check Ibanez's semis, you want to stay with the AM size (eg AM 73/93/153 - 3 levels, 93 being the best value, to me) - same as the 339.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:51 PM

Default yes to p90s

I have a 339 that's going on 3 years old now. The bridge, nut, and tuners are entry grade, but none of those things are too expensive to upgrade. Your instinct on comfort is spot on. Mine weighs 7.1 lbs and the smaller body size is extremely comfortable. Gotoh makes a TOM bridge that is a drop in replacement for $25 (the factory one is rattly). P90s are awesome pickups for the blues and Epiphone makes decent ones. I think the ES 339 with p90s would be a good option for you. As stated, the neck is fuller than what you're used to with your Fenders, don't know how much of an issue that will be for you.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:57 PM

Default yes to p90s

I have a 339 that's going on 3 years old now. The bridge, nut, and tuners are entry grade, but none of those things are too expensive to upgrade. Your instinct on comfort is spot on. Mine weighs 7.1 lbs and the smaller body size is extremely comfortable. Gotoh makes a TOM bridge that is a drop in replacement for $25 (the factory one is rattly). P90s are awesome pickups for the blues and Epiphone makes decent ones. I think the ES 339 with p90s would be a good option for you. As stated, the neck is fuller than what you're used to with your Fenders, don't know how much of an issue that will be for you.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
...I respect Steve's opinions on things greatly. This may be one of those cup half full, half empty things, but I want to stress that the sound in that half cup is really good for the 339 P90 model...
Just as good for the humbuckers, Frank - in fact, that's the only thing that's been keeping it around for the rare few times I play it; however, in the case of my own instrument it's far more than a few inconsequential details, one of which (in addition to those mentioned above) is a poor neckset that I know is going to be trouble down the line. First off, whoever put this one together apparently forgot the old "measure twice, assemble once" mantra, leaving a visible gap at the body/neck joint that was filled with...wait for it...an extra-heavy local application of the same plasticky poly finish applied to the rest of the guitar - something that would have been deemed unacceptable in the pre-2008 Korean production, not to mention its Ibanez competitors...

Second, after 57 years playing guitar I'm quite familiar with every species of "brown wood" customarily used in instrument construction - and the longer I own it the more I'm thinking the kiln-dried luan neck (a new one on me - think Home Depot DIY-quality closet door) is at the root of most of my issues, not to mention the real underlying reason for the (necessary) change in neck dimensions/contour. FYI I've played my share of chunky necks in my lifetime - an '80s double-trussrod Guild JF30-12, '46 Epiphone Blackstone, '47 Gibson L-7, a gennie '58 LP PAF goldtop/darkback that I set up for a local WW II vet about ten years ago, among others - and while it's not my favorite profile, with a decent setup I can get through a gig without risking hand injury (with the Epi 339 I'm good for 20-30 minutes tops)...

Finally, I'm a guy who lives for champagne-tone/beer-budget bargains; for over 25 years my go-to electrics were an MIJ '82 Yamaha SSC-500 and '86 Squier/Fender Strat - both of which cost me all of $199 w/HSC brand-new. Even allowing for inflation, given the advances in guitar-building technology and increased internationalization of production over the last four decades (particularly when it comes to some of the more recent instruments coming out of China - think Eastman and Blueridge) Epiphone can - and should - be routinely producing far better low-end stuff than what they're currently flooding GC with; then again, for only a few dollars more you can step up to an entry-level genuine USA Gibson - and if anyone here remembers why the '90s MIJ Epiphone Elite/Elitist Series was unceremoniously killed off, well...
Old 11-06-2019, 09:58 PM

Default You have two of the best

All around guitars available, if you have an American Strat and Tele, I don't think you'll really be happy with an Epi 339 Pro. I bought one two and a half years ago, stupidly, mostly because I couldn't afford a Gibson 339, and I'd always loved the look and feel of the 339. Unfortunately I had bought an American Strat the year before, a year after I started learning guitar (I was 68 years old then) and the quality, comfort (including neck shape), and sound are so much superior to the Epi that it just hangs on the wall, I think that's one that I'll be selling soon. When I do I'll replace it with an Eastman hollowbody with 1 3/4" nut neck, they are awesome!
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 11-07-2019, 12:10 AM

I agree with the above sentiments regarding the neck shape and tone of the P90s. Never have loved that neck shape but the tone is superb.
Guild F-1512
Epiphone ES-339
Fender Stratocaster
Old 11-11-2019, 03:15 PM

I have a 339 pro, sold it and bought it back, put a set of Golden Age PAF's non potted, it's pretty amazing and plays as well as any Gibby 339 I've played, a lot less money for sure

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars