The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-25-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Default Emerald Order - Clearing New York Customs???

I have a question for you experienced Emerald purchasers. How long does it typically take to clear US Customs in New York? It seems that my X20 went through in a day or so but my most recent order has been there all week. I googled this subject, and learned of some very bleak experiences from others. Any words of encouragement?
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-25-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Each of my Emeralds went through Customs in a day. While some will inevitably tell you that "everyone in the Customs facility will have to take their turn at playing your guitar," or other woes of "it took 6 months to clear Customs," let me give you these words of encouragement: it will get there when it gets there.

Really, Jim, that's all you've got? Yeah, pretty much. I had some real expectations after that first guitar got to me in just under 4 days. The second one took 13 days, but a week of that was because (at the time) they only shipped on Fridays (and I ordered that one late Friday). The third one was a custom order, and when it didn't ship when they said it would, I had to have them hold it because we were traveling at the time... and it got to our local Post Office on a Saturday before a Monday holiday.

Rejoice in the knowledge that you have other great guitars to keep you busy while you wait. And, while everyone here understands the waiting angst, there is little true sympathy extended, because... you're getting another new guitar!
Old 10-25-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Not asking for or looking for sympathy at all but thanks for the words of encouragement, Captain....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-25-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:39 AM

My Emerald purchases took 7-8 days to reach me here in Idaho. The eight day one was over a Federal holiday when US Customs had the day off. I know that doesn't help you much, RP.

We don't know much about the internal workings of Customs, so anything we say is speculation. I have some ideas because an old buddy worked for Customs for a while, but not at an airport.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I have a question for you experienced Emerald purchasers. How long does it typically take to clear US Customs in New York? It seems that my X20 went through in a day or so but my most recent order has been there all week. I googled this subject, and learned of some very bleak experiences from others. Any words of encouragement?
The 3 Emeralds I got new all took at least a week to WV but one of them did sit in US customs for 3 days or I would have gotten it earlier.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 10-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

One of mine said that it was in Customs for a week in the update, but it wasn't, it was actually on the way to me. The updates/status don't seem to be correct that often. Just my observation.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
One of mine said that it was in Customs for a week in the update, but it wasn't, it was actually on the way to me. The updates/status don't seem to be correct that often. Just my observation.
Maybe I'm just being a hopeless optimist, but what jdinco shared is what I believe is going on with my X20-12...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-25-2019, 01:12 PM

It will get there when it gets there. Ommmmmm....
Old 10-25-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

I think three of the four I bought direct from Emerald arrived in about 7-8 days. Once seemed to get lost for about three-plus weeks but that was around the holidays.

Check this out though: I just bought a new guitar from a dealer in Australia. I hit the Buy button on Monday evening and made immediate payment. It was already Tuesday morning in Australia. He shipped within a few hours of payment. THE GUITAR ARRIVED ON THURSDAY! Like less then three days.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:54 PM

This kind of gets discussed ad nauseam here (not that I can judge as I'm certainly impatient and just as excited to receive my guitars). USPS is and never have been a reliable source with their tracking. It may be unfortunate but it is true. I've received guitars by all the major carriers; FedEx and UPS are pretty darn accurate but USPS.....hmmm, NO.

My OF660 was shipped to me via USPS and the last update to my phone was "In transit to next facility". No message saying "Out for Delivery", and it wasn't 5 minutes later it was at my feet. Kinda scary really. I'm so glad I was at the address when it arrived! I know this isn't helpful but if the guitar is touched by USPS...it is what it is.

I think what happens is that they are so busy, sometimes the driver doesn't scan the package when it moves to the next truck, building, etc. I think they are supposed to (especially when the customer is paying for expedited shipping), but I suspect scans get missed. What other explanation is there?
Old 10-25-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I think three of the four I bought direct from Emerald arrived in about 7-8 days. Once seemed to get lost for about three-plus weeks but that was around the holidays.

Check this out though: I just bought a new guitar from a dealer in Australia. I hit the Buy button on Monday evening and made immediate payment. It was already Tuesday morning in Australia. He shipped within a few hours of payment. THE GUITAR ARRIVED ON THURSDAY! Like less then three days.
The Kangaroo Express? That's a pretty fast turnaround!
Old 10-25-2019, 01:58 PM

I think my X10 was in the same shipping batch as yours. I'm not sure why mine got through in 1 day. Start checking the USPS tracking number for movement.
Emerald X10 Black Level 3
Old 10-25-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_man View Post
I think my X10 was in the same shipping batch as yours. I'm not sure why mine got through in 1 day. Start checking the USPS tracking number for movement.
I've been checking the tracking number all week, and the message on USPS has remained the same. For some reason, mine went to JFK while yours went to Dulles....

Your item is being processed by United States Customs.

Status

In-Transit
Inbound Into Customs
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-25-2019, 02:51 PM

Monday mine went through JFK: Int'l Distribution Center, Jamaica

I hope you see movement soon..I know the feeling. In Dec 2017 I was agonizing that I might not get my X20 before Xmas, It was held in customs for a few days. But the xmas gods smiled on me and I got it on the 23rd. (ordered on Dec 2nd, 3 weeks from order to door)
Emerald X10 Black Level 3
Old 10-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_man View Post
Monday mine went through JFK: Int'l Distribution Center, Jamaica

I hope you see movement soon..I know the feeling. In Dec 2017 I was agonizing that I might not get my X20 before Xmas, It was held in customs for a few days. But the xmas gods smiled on me and I got it on the 23rd. (ordered on Dec 2nd, 3 weeks from order to door)
Thanks Joel. I thought you'd previously written that yours was at Dulles...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber