The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I have 2 qsc 10s. sounds like the cp8 would make a good monitor. am i right assuming this?
Old 09-04-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired View Post
I use a PRS Hollowbody 2 which as both a piezo out and humbuckers out.

I just looked up the PRS HB II Piezos...5K give or take! Phew...but they look amazing, and I'm sure they sound the same. I would like to get there eventually. I can afford it but it wouldn't be sensible yet, not having played even one gig. I've heard of a Yamaha that has a similar setup that I've heard people on the forum talk about. I can get one 600-750 range used. Do you know of any others that have that "blend" of Piezo / Humbuckers? Love the idea!
Godin makes a couple of variations on this theme, well made at a very reasonable cost. I was playing one at a trade show earlier in the year and am very tempted to get one as a back up.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired View Post
I'm 54 years old and about to embark on a second act, so to speak, and start solo gigging...I have NEVER setup a stage myself. I just bought the older model QSC K8 with soundcraft notepad mixer. I have a Taylor 314CE, SM58 & a nice Tele and Strat to mix it up maybe.

What else would you suggest? I've heard of this pedalboard called the Trace Elliot Transit and I like the idea. I don't want to get too complex, in fact just the opposite.

Also, do you have any preferences on tablets? I have a KINDLE HDX which is a powerhouse but it's old, not Android OR iPad and it's hard to get good apps. I have always been Android / PC person but am leaning toward iPad a little...they seem to be the choice of musicians by quite a majority.

Thanks for your thoughts!

To be honest I think you already have most of, if not all, the gear you need to start with.

I've certainly been guilty of buying more gear than needed in the past but what I've now realised is that I should've stuck with some of the gear I first had and really, really learnt how to use it to it's best.

Only then would I have known it's limitations and what I might need from the next purchase, rather than jumping from new gear to new gear all the time and never really learning how to use it.

Also gigging can be a stressful activity - firstly you need to get there on time, then you need to find the person who knows what's going on, then you need to set up, then you need to soundcheck (normally whilst other stuff is going on around you), then you need to tidy your stage area up, then you need to move your car and then, after all of that, you need to sing and play in front of people for two hours, then do everything in reverse.

Having a simple setup that you know really well and can get sounding good quickly is important, and one way you can achieve that is by sticking with something and getting to know it's quirks and pros and cons well enough so you can adjust things quickly and intuitively.

And, at the end of the day, THE most important thing is the performance - a great performance will always combat less than stellar gear! Now, I'm luck enough to have some great sounding equipment now, but that wasn't always the case, and I wish I'd spent more time then really honing my performance and waiting till I had the cash and need for better equipment than worrying about having more gear.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:12 PM

Excellent. The QSC K8 should be excellent for your needs. I gig 1-2 times a week (Brewery and Wine Bars) and have a very simple setup.
My setup covers a lot of ground. Sounds fantastic! If I need more coverage.. I use the Bose L1 Compact.

Guitar: Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Preamp: LR Baggs Venue DI/EQ
Effects: Digitech RP360
Speaker: Bose S1 Pro
Mic: Sennheiser E935 (use the Mic Tonematch setting on Bose)
Old 09-05-2019, 03:23 AM

Default remind me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
To be honest I think you already have most of, if not all, the gear you need to start with.

I've certainly been guilty of buying more gear than needed in the past but what I've now realised is that I should've stuck with some of the gear I first had and really, really learnt how to use it to it's best.

Only then would I have known it's limitations and what I might need from the next purchase, rather than jumping from new gear to new gear all the time and never really learning how to use it.

Also gigging can be a stressful activity - firstly you need to get there on time, then you need to find the person who knows what's going on, then you need to set up, then you need to soundcheck (normally whilst other stuff is going on around you), then you need to tidy your stage area up, then you need to move your car and then, after all of that, you need to sing and play in front of people for two hours, then do everything in reverse.

Having a simple setup that you know really well and can get sounding good quickly is important, and one way you can achieve that is by sticking with something and getting to know it's quirks and pros and cons well enough so you can adjust things quickly and intuitively.

And, at the end of the day, THE most important thing is the performance - a great performance will always combat less than stellar gear! Now, I'm luck enough to have some great sounding equipment now, but that wasn't always the case, and I wish I'd spent more time then really honing my performance and waiting till I had the cash and need for better equipment than worrying about having more gear.
Could I please hire you to remind me of all this once a month? haha! It strikes me as true and I've noticed the "energy" I have when I'm trying to avoid the real work and make up for it by buying something. I DID get a 2d K8 though, brand new, on its way. . . that's about having backup...the very thing you talked about has been giving me the willies....setting up...stuff going on...getting there on time, etc. . . I was just thinking, shoot, the only thing I've ever done is get up from my table, grab somebody elses guitar and hammer out 5-10 songs...i remember screwing up once or twice and saying to the audience, "Hey I'm not getting paid, I can make a mistake or two", and they all laughed....not so much when I AM getting paid, haha!

I'm pretty good with stones open G and slide in general, so I'm THINKING of eventually adding an ES335 type guitar to my lineup and whacking out brown sugar, honky tonk women and a couple of good Thoroughgood numbers (move it on over). I'm learning the last one on acoustic, open G now, for a little variety. For some reason I can sing and play his stuff pretty quick, and can get 5 of his songs under my in the time it takes me to get one James Taylor!
Old 09-05-2019, 04:07 PM

I have used hybrid type guitars for years. I have a PRS Archtop which is deeper in body depth than the Hollowbody II. It was the original Archtop (1999) and has piezo saddles and two humbuckers. The acoustic sound is ok and usable but a bit metallic. I just mix it in with the Archtop mag pickups and it works well.

I also have a Brian Moore CP90 custom with the Ghost piezo system and I added the triple shot hum/P90/blade pickups to replace the original JB pickups. THAT is a versatile guitar and does better with acoustic tones.

Most recently I modded for the 'nth time, my T5, adding a K&K pm to the bridgeplate and also an LR Baggs Element Active under saddle. I can choose between the original T5 5 way pickups- the K&K acoustic or the Element Active.
They all give different tones with the K&K pm being very darn close to my Taylor 814 and 914 K&K guitars - good acoustic tone. So I can switch pickups without switching guitars - each system has its own output.

This is one of those never-ending journeys and I can say that it is easier using an acoustic for acoustic tones and just a simple electric amp with your favorite Strat/tele/LP/PRS or whatever you prefer.

Keep us posted
davidc
Old 09-06-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Most recently I modded for the 'nth time, my T5, adding a K&K pm to the bridgeplate and also an LR Baggs Element Active under saddle. I can choose between the original T5 5 way pickups- the K&K acoustic or the Element Active.
They all give different tones with the K&K pm being very darn close to my Taylor 814 and 914 K&K guitars - good acoustic tone. So I can switch pickups without switching guitars - each system has its own output.

davidc
So the K&K worked out in the T5? Any sound clips of it? I've been happy with the Wavelength overall. Normally I always run the Wavelength as my acoustic tone and have the electric tone going to a T21 Liverpool and Bogner Blue pedal if I want distortion. I try to embrace the hybrid sound and use a composite of acoustic and electric tones.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:41 PM

The K&K worked out excellently for the T5. I am a little challenged in posting sound clips but I can tell you it is close to the K&K in my other Taylors. I can use the same settings pretty much and the same pedals without really any tweaking.

I never really liked the acoustic strings on the T5 but they made a big difference with the new pickups. The Element Active is not bad for an undersaddle but it is still an undersaddle with that bit of distortion. It sounds pretty good for picking parts since it is very articulate.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:35 PM

Default Played a T5z today and fell in love

I am NOT very experienced in nuances of sound but I did play a T5z today and literally fell in love. I am going to get one unless I get clear on why many people have reported not being able to get the right sound out of them. I played it thru the first amp i came to, a marshall solid state, and really loved it. It sounded kind of like a hollow body gibson electric. SO nice...Can you folks give me some feedback, good and bad, on these machines? I do see people remarking more about the T5 vs. the T5z (which is much thinner, and more geared toward electric players). Thank you!
Old 09-16-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I have used hybrid type guitars for years. I have a PRS Archtop which is deeper in body depth than the Hollowbody II. It was the original Archtop (1999) and has piezo saddles and two humbuckers. The acoustic sound is ok and usable but a bit metallic. I just mix it in with the Archtop mag pickups and it works well.

I also have a Brian Moore CP90 custom with the Ghost piezo system and I added the triple shot hum/P90/blade pickups to replace the original JB pickups. THAT is a versatile guitar and does better with acoustic tones.

This is one of those never-ending journeys and I can say that it is easier using an acoustic for acoustic tones and just a simple electric amp with your favorite Strat/tele/LP/PRS or whatever you prefer.

Keep us posted
davidc
I'd like to hear more about your modding of the T5. I played a T5z today and don't think I've ever heard a nicer sound (thru the first marshall SS amp I came to). I'm sold but it sounds like your mod's were to the T5 vs. T5z but it also sounds like you got it super close to a full sized Taylor? (I have the 314CE)
Old 11-06-2019, 09:25 AM

I would suggest that the OP consider the Presonus Air 10 over the QSC. You will pay half the price and they sound just as good. The Presonus speaker is a real hidden gen IMO and a nice bonus is that it's also lighter! Check it out.
I found one on Reverb for around $300 new.

Also, if you want to keep things really simple, just get yourself a TC Helicon Play Acoustic unit. It's got all the vocal effects you need plus a looper. It has bodyrez to make the guitar sound less quack too. Quick and easy setup and takedown.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:46 AM

I guess it would be L.R.Baggs Synapse

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification