The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-25-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Nice to see people enjoying their guitars! One thing I really noticed after 4 months of owning an Emerald is because it sits out on the stand when not played it gets played a helluva lot more as a result compared to wood guitars that sit in the case. I bet I logged more playing hours in the last 4 months than I did the last 4 years...not even kidding.
I love that about the X7, too, although I think the effect is less pronounced. More to me the effect is pronounced whenever I plug in because it just requires so much more stuff (gear, setup, tear down, etc). That is what has kept me primarily acoustic all these years, unless a band comes into play.

The only questions I have left are how the carbon records compared to my wood guitars. If I am happy with the post-mic sound then I really have no reason to keep my wood guitars anymore. I will pass them onto someone else who can treasure and enjoy them and instead enjoy playing my low-maintenance, always-ready carbons.

I won't have a chance to compare for a few months, yet, but am looking forward to knowing whether I can downsize and streamline my rig! I hate maintenance work, so the idea of having just a few instruments (1 mando, 1 steel acoustic, 1 nylon, 1 electric) really makes me excited. From a player's perspective it doesn't matter much to me. And as long as the music and arrangements are good, the relatively-slight tonal differences between guitars probably won't bug me. I just need to prove to myself I am happy with that decision.

I have a whole lotta backlog of songs and demos to cut recordings of from these past few years. Hours of stuff. Can't wait to get into a place in life to do that! But we are planning on moving into some brittle climate areas that have harsher climates, so I expect the carbon to become increasingly relevant.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Hi, my first post on here as a new member. I have a recently acquired Rainsong CH parlor.

I like it alot however I would love to get more overtones and depth particularly for myself as the player.

I have seen some of the comparisons for the previous generation x7 vs the parlor but not the current.

It seems from the description that the new x7 may have more of what I'm looking for although my kids would never forgive me for getting rid of the sharks.

Any thoughts on how the new x7 would compare to the CH parlor Rainsong?
As RaySachs says, "the offset soundhole makes the new one sound way better to the players ear - not as much difference out front, but I don’t sit there when I’m playing it!"

I completely agree with this sentiment. I also think the offset soundhole can project better, like the optimal "triangle" in classical guitar position that angles the soundhole up and out (but it also frees up the back of the guitar to vibrate without getting muffled by the body)

The guitar sounds very harmonically rich to me, but you will have to evaluate. Strings can make a huge difference, too. So you might experiment with different strings if you otherwise really like your Rainsong. It's a pretty cheap way to get some pretty big differences in sound.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Glad you’re still liking the X7. You’re review was one of several that convinced me to upgrade from the older X7 to a new one, which I bought not long after you initially started this thread. As much as I liked the older model, I LOVE the newer one. They play about identically but I think the larger body and the offset soundhole makes the new one sound way better to the players ear - not as much difference out front, but I don’t sit there when I’m playing it! After two months my only question is whether I’m going to keep the X20 that started me down this carbon fiber path. I had both together for a few weeks but then we left for our winter rental where I just bring one acoustic and one electric, so the new X7 is all I’ve had for about a month and a half. I haven’t missed the X20 at all. When I get home in March I’ll see how much I still reach for the X20, but there’s a good chance I’ll end up selling it. The new X7 is that good! I’m gonna send the old X7 out to live with my older daughter in Oregon so I’ll have something to play when we visit her area for extended stays. But the new one is now clearly my primary acoustic...

-Ray
I will also be doing some comparisons when I return from my trip in early April (I can't say "get home" because...well...I don't have a home right now). I would love to know how you think the X7 and X20 compare. I prefer the X7's 24" scale both in terms of stretch (I have fairly small hands and wirey fingers, and the 12 fret neck also makes the guitar REALLY comfy for my small body) and in that I can put mediums on it and get that tension and fight back that I love about the 25.5" scale without it being TOO stiff.

I am strongly considering having emerald make me a custom 635mm nylon string. I will do that for sure if I end up passing my wood guitars onto someone who will enjoy and love them as much as I have.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanay View Post
I will also be doing some comparisons when I return from my trip in early April (I can't say "get home" because...well...I don't have a home right now). I would love to know how you think the X7 and X20 compare.
I actually already wrote quite a bit (probably too much) about that comparison on about page 3, 4, or 5 of this thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=529449

Nothing has changed since then except that I'm surprised how happy I've been only having one acoustic and one electric guitar to reach for in our winter rental. I don't miss having the X20 here. I'm quite sure I could sell it and be very happy with just the X7. But when I get back around the X20 I'll give it a good chance to keep it's place on my wall. If I end up grabbing it a lot again and enjoying it, no need to sell it - I'll keep both. But if I go a period of months and rarely if ever play it, it might be for sale. At the time of that thread, I thought I was gonna sell my older X7, but since my daughter has accepted a position in Oregon, I know that one is gonna live out there for when we visit, so that's changed, but the status of the X20 is now more up in the air.

-Ray
Old 01-27-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
6-10 guitars? or 6-10 mixed instruments? Do you want to stand out or blend in? IMO an instrument that really stands out isn't necessarily going to sound great on its own (as per mixing principles, what we often consider a "full and rich acoustic tone" can really muddy

It's great that the X7 is working so well.

Apologies for the delay in replying to your very interesting response.

As you may recall, I was interested in owners opinions on whether X7s are suitable for playing in jams.

Our groups of 6-10 players are usually 3-4 guitars, 1-2 dobros, 1-2 mandolins, 1-2 banjos, 1-2 fiddles, and often a string bass.

Players take turns proposing and leading songs. A song leader needs to be heard, so the others play moderately.

My Grand Concert guitar responds well to a firm hand. When leading, it is easy to hear over the thrumming of other instruments. The trebles are loud and clear, and the bass is OK.

My smaller guitars are too quiet, and lead to embarrassed requests to please play louder. Thus my conclusion that GC is my smallest practical size for jamming.

I am happy playing my GC at local jams, and am interested in the much shorter X7 for travel to music camps and festivals.

Which leads to the question: is the X7 as suitable as a GC for jamming?

Note1. My calculation is that the X7 body size (18" x 14 1/4" x 4 1/2") is approx the same as the GC body size (19" x 15" x 4"), because the the X7's extra 1/2" of depth offsets the GC's extra 1" of lenth and width.

Note2: But the X7 has a smaller sound board.

Many thanks.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:09 AM
Guest 928

Smaller sized and nylon string guitars face a wall of sound in working with other instruments. I play my X7 nylon with a group composed of 2-3 guitars, a bass, a banjo, 1-2 mandolins, and an occasional violin. To fit the arrangement I have been using a very small Roland battery amp. I try to be dainty with the power and the other players have been happy with my presence.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:19 AM

The recently posted SPL readings of the entire Emerald line shows they are all within a few dB of each other (a few dB is hard to notice). No doubt the smaller X7 must have less bass and sound different, but it did not lose the dB battle by anything significant.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-27-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As RaySachs says, "the offset soundhole makes the new one sound way better to the players ear - not as much difference out front, but I don’t sit there when I’m playing it!"

I completely agree with this sentiment. I also think the offset soundhole can project better, like the optimal "triangle" in classical guitar position that angles the soundhole up and out (but it also frees up the back of the guitar to vibrate without getting muffled by the body)

The guitar sounds very harmonically rich to me, but you will have to evaluate. Strings can make a huge difference, too. So you might experiment with different strings if you otherwise really like your Rainsong. It's a pretty cheap way to get some pretty big differences in sound.
Thanks for the input. The improved sound to the player is exactly what I am looking for. I spoke with RainSong directly and they mentioned that apparently a number of people have pulled the barn door as a way to get that soundhole aimed at the player experience in the RainSong. Mine is the pure accoustic version so I don't have the option to try it.

I have tried changing the strings on the RainSong and have found I really like the extra bass I'm getting from the Thomastik Plectrums.

It still doesn't have the complex richness I get from my Breedlove Premier Rosewood / Sitka Concert. However I found myself really liking the crystal clarity and resonance on the RainSong for songs like Spanish Romance where there is a focus on the individual notes.

I may have a deal in the works for a used new model x7 so will possibly have the opportunity to try them side by side soon.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
.....I spoke with RainSong directly and they mentioned that apparently a number of people have pulled the barn door as a way to get that soundhole aimed at the player experience in the RainSong. ....
I have a WS-1000 with barn door electronics, and several Taylor GA's with the same. Sometimes I flip out the barn door package into the open position to test a side sound "port". Candidly, I don't hear much difference. The barn door does not seal up all that well (not intended to) so maybe leakage is the issue? A better experiment would be to seal the opening airtight with a solid cover material and then remove that for comparison.

I have seen a few photos around the forum where people have removed the electronics altogether and made nice attractive trim rings for the raw square hole. I even saw one where they used the opening to mount a smart phone there for reading set lists.

My Blackbird Lucky 13 has a circular side sound port about 2½" in diameter, and Joe can provide a plug. I've thought about buying one for test purposes. but given my barn door experience, I would not expect much. I have a Farallon eKoa ukulele w/o sound port and a fellow in our club has an identical one with the sound port. I cannot tell much difference tonally there either, although he believes it helps. I'm not disputing that they make a perceptible difference for some players, just not for me.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The recently posted SPL readings of the entire Emerald line shows they are all within a few dB of each other (a few dB is hard to notice). No doubt the smaller X7 must have less bass and sound different, but it did not lose the dB battle by anything significant.

Hi Jon.

That's a great comparison of the treble side of guitars.

The treble side of X7 sounds a bit like how my GC compares to dreadnaughts.

I won't need the X7 to be loud on the bass side because I can lead from the treble side.

Still hoping to hear if anyone's played the X7 at jams.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Smaller sized and nylon string guitars face a wall of sound in working with other instruments. I play my X7 nylon with a group composed of 2-3 guitars, a bass, a banjo, 1-2 mandolins, and an occasional violin. To fit the arrangement I have been using a very small Roland battery amp. I try to be dainty with the power and the other players have been happy with my presence.

Hi Evan.

Sounds like we play with similar groupings.

In town it's playing with familiar folk, and out of town it's jamming with newly met folks.

I need a short guitar for travel, and the X7 would need to play well without an amp.

Otherwise an open back 19fret banjo is compact and versatile.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post

Players take turns proposing and leading songs. A song leader needs to be heard, so the others play moderately.

My Grand Concert guitar responds well to a firm hand. When leading, it is easy to hear over the thrumming of other instruments. The trebles are loud and clear, and the bass is OK.

My smaller guitars are too quiet, and lead to embarrassed requests to please play louder. Thus my conclusion that GC is my smallest practical size for jamming.
Ahh thanks for clarifying it sounds like you are also talking about dynamic range. My X7 has fantastic dynamic range. It responds very well to soft and hard picking. My Larrivee parlor I think compresses faster.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Ahh thanks for clarifying it sounds like you are also talking about dynamic range. My X7 has fantastic dynamic range. It responds very well to soft and hard picking. My Larrivee parlor I think compresses faster.

Hi Ethan

Thanks for confirming that the 2018+ X7 has great dynamic range. It sounds like what I'm looking for.

Ordering a $2K guitar from overseas where the specs indicate it may be sufficient for the usage (compact body but loud enough for jamming) is sure different from trying one at a guitar store or jam!

I've played a lot of carbon fibre guitars and know that like wood guitars the loudness/range is proportional to body size. The small ones were too quiet for jamming.

Many thanks for your excellent explanations and patience.

Last edited by casualmusic; 02-04-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Hi Ethan

Thanks for confirming that the 2018+ X7 has great dynamic range. It sounds like what I'm looking for.

Ordering a $2K guitar from overseas where the specs indicate it may be sufficient for the usage (compact body but loud enough for jamming) is sure different from trying one at a guitar store or jam!

I've played a lot of carbon fibre guitars and know that like wood guitars the loudness/range is proportional to body size. The small ones were too quiet for jamming.

Many thanks for your excellent explanations and patience.
No worries. It was a nerve wracking experience for me as well but exceeded my expectations. In the end only you will know what sounds/feels right regardless of who says what online...Hope you get what you are looking for!
Old 09-09-2019, 02:48 PM

Default year update

Absolutely no regrets. Sounds great plugged in and acoustically.

Some feedback about process:
1. Emerald said they would setup the action to my specs, but they didn't. No big deal, I lowered the action myself by sanding down the bridge. Just one extra thing to do. I figure something got lost in translation.

That's it on process.

Build quality:
1. The brand/serial # sticker inside the body keeps peeling back. Not sure what to do about it. The center is stuck very firmly, the edges just don't want to stay put. It bugs me, I find it distracting and I don't like loose paper flapping about where the vibrations I create are supposed to incubate!
2. Part of the mesh on the gig bag front pocket wasn't fully sewn into the seem, and has pulled out. Fortunately, it's only cosmetic. But it's kind of a head scratcher for me why they even designed it with the decorative mesh there in the first place. Love that it has a removable neck support. And the pocket holds everything that I used to carry with me in the Journey OF660. I just use separate sacks to keep smaller stuff organized.

That's it on build quality.

Design notes:
1. I really do wish that the cutaway was more of a sloping Breedlove-style, so it doesn't get in the way of bar forms past the 13th-14th fret. As it stands, I keep finding myself "fighting" with the horn, which puts my hand out of bar position for even 4 note chord forms.

That's it on design.

Love that it has an adjustable truss rod. And with the action down closer to where I like it, it's near-perfect.

Unfortunately, I won't be selling/getting rid of my wood guitars, nor will I be ordering a custom Emerald nylon. After I AB'd them, I do PREFER the sound from my wood guitars, especially when recorded. The difference in sound doesn't stop me from loving playing the X7. I think the X7 sounds FANTASTIC, and it is easily my #1 played instrument due to comfort, fit, durability, etc. I think this is a hands-down fantastic, incredibly versatile compact travel/practice/performance guitar. I just don't like listening to the recorded results as much as with my other guitars. It sounds a little less brilliant, and the bass is a bit less tight. But to be fair, I am comparing it to a Spruce/Rosewood Goodall CGV and a similarly-appointed custom nylon string (same woods/cutaway style). Not really in the same league.

FYI, I am playing it with .013s now, since at 24" they provide about the same tension as .012s on 25.5." I might go back to .012s to see if it sweetens up the tone a bit, but I really like the .013s in DADGAD or other downed tunings. .012s were a bit loose and quiet, IMO.

I would only consider parting with it if I had an opportunity to acquire one with the cutaway redesign that I mentioned. And if I had to own only one acoustic guitar, it would probably be the X7. That's saying a lot, I think!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon, scale length, travel