The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-11-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Some basic contemporary Gretsch electric nomenclature:
  • Streamliner (2400/2600-Series): Entry-level Chinese/Indonesian hollow/semi-hollow instruments intended to compete with the lower-end Epiphone/Ibanez offerings, and other than the logo on the peghead/pickguard GINO (Gretsch in name only); IME if you're shopping for a bargain hollow/semi you'd be better-served by investing in an Ibanez Artcore - overall Streamliner QC can be spotty, as with the Epiphones in this bracket (and unlike the Ibanez instruments, which I wouldn't be ashamed to take out on a gig)
  • Electromatic (5100/5200/5400/5600-Series): Low-/midline instruments in the same general price bracket as the Mexi-Fender, upline Epiphone/Ibanez, entry-level Eastman, and Guild Newark St. electrics, this is where the classic Gretsch vibe (styling, pickups, hardware, and most important tone) kicks in, and the QC/value-per-dollar is second to none (including higher-priced, major-name hollows/semis); general rule of thumb is the 5100/5200 instruments are MIC solids (FYI there are a few low-end E-Matic solids that don't fit the pattern, nor does the G100 Synchro archtop), 5400's are Korean-made full-hollows with Filter'trons, and 5600's are center-block semis with Filter'trons and/or Super Hi-lo'Trons on the MIK guitars, or Broad-trons (essentially a bargain-basement full-size humbucker in a Filter'tron-style shell) on the new Chinese production (Hint: grab a new-old-stock Korean model while you still can - these are professional-level, fully gigworthy guitars that punch way above their weight, sell for well under $1K in most cases, and made believers out of many of your fellow AGF'ers)
  • Professional (6100/6600-Series): This is where you'll find all the iconic Gretsch models - from Double Anniversary through White Falcon - as well as signature instruments (Stephen Stills, Brian Setzer, Billy Duffy, Bono, Bo Diddley, etc.) and contemporary variations on classic themes (center-block White Falcon, Player/Limited Editions, etc.), made in Japan to a QC/off-the-shelf playability standard few mass-market makers can match; prices are in line with top-shelf Ibanez/Eastman/Yamaha/Fender and midrange Gibsons at $2-4K street, but if you're a player looking for your signature tone who thinks outside the box it's money well-spent (not to mention the only way to get a historically-accurate '55 White Falcon, '59 6120, or '62 "King George" Country Gent, produced to a standard the Brooklyn originals rarely approached)
In answer to your second question (I answered your question about Chinese instruments in the paragraphs above), several years ago Gretsch produced the now-discontinued G5655T-CB, a center-block/semi-hollow near-clone of a '63 Duo-Jet (and significantly lighter at around 7 pounds); TMK these are still available as NOS for around $600 - in spite of their Malcolm Young visuals and excellent electronics (the Super Hi-lo'Tron neck pickup is my favorite contemporary Gretsch PU) they were a surprisingly poor seller - and one of these might be right up your alley. In any event I'd spend the few extra bucks beyond the $300-400 you mention, and get something that will not only meet but exceed your expectations - if you're interested PM me and I'll direct you to a couple of sources for the discontinued stuff...
This is gold. You're a beautiful man. PMing you now.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 11-11-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
This is gold. You're a beautiful man. PMing you now.
He is the resident AGF Gretsch guru. He hasn’t given himself that title. I’ve ascribed it to him lol. He’s VERY knowledgeable regarding Gretsch guitars and their history.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 11-11-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
He is the resident AGF Gretsch guru. He hasn’t given himself that title. I’ve ascribed it to him lol. He’s VERY knowledgeable regarding Gretsch guitars and their history.
True that.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-12-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
And much appreciated!
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 11-14-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Ok, lots of research and reading. I'm down to a 5420T with Jones and Callahan upgrades or a 5422T. Both made in Korea.

I need to get to GC to hold both models for comfort and see what feels best, but the 5420 with the upgrades is well priced and mighty tempting.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Ok, lots of research and reading. I'm down to a 5420T with Jones and Callahan upgrades or a 5422T. Both made in Korea.

I need to get to GC to hold both models for comfort and see what feels best, but the 5420 with the upgrades is well priced and mighty tempting.
You won't be disappointed with the 5420. You may need to do some setup, however. I bought mine used, but I had to lower the action at the nut, adjust the neck relief and adjust the pickups. If you're buying a new guitar at GC you should be able to talk them into doing any required setup for you.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-14-2019, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
You won't be disappointed with the 5420. You may need to do some setup, however. I bought mine used, but I had to lower the action at the nut, adjust the neck relief and adjust the pickups. If you're buying a new guitar at GC you should be able to talk them into doing any required setup for you.
I'm sorry to confess Im likely trying them at GC for fit and then shopping used on reverb or eBay
Line 6 Helix.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry to confess Im likely trying them at GC for fit and then shopping used on reverb or eBay
Check Craigslist as well. If you get the 5420 get a 2016 or later. The serial number starts with the last two digits of the year. It' both on the back of the headstock and inside.

BTW, GC has both the white and the black G5420T on sale for $699.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-15-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
...BTW, GC has both the white and the black G5420T on sale for $699.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch...tric-Guitar.gc

Nice - near-clone of a '59 White Falcon (can be customized with aftermarket parts, BTW), plays like the high-priced models, weighs about seven pounds on the strap, at $699 I'd sooner buy a new one with warranty than a CL who-knows-what-you're-getting, and if you've got a CSNY tribute band pull out your best Stephen Stills licks...
Old 11-15-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch...tric-Guitar.gc

Nice - near-clone of a '59 White Falcon (can be customized with aftermarket parts, BTW), plays like the high-priced models, weighs about seven pounds on the strap, at $699 I'd sooner buy a new one with warranty than a CL who-knows-what-you're-getting, and if you've got a CSNY tribute band pull out your best Stephen Stills licks...
I bought mine used from GC, so it doesn't have the full warranty, but I did have 45 day return. It's a 2018, so it was virtually new.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-15-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I played a 5420 and 5422 at GC.

I got all verklempt because they had a single fairyland blue 5420 on clearance for $549. The 5422 was $999 which is too far north of my budget.

The beautiful blue 5420 had an iffy pickup switch. It has a wiring issue with the bridge pickup. Probably an easy fix. Employee said that is probably why it is priced so low.

5422 was much hotter output and I loved the feel, and the gold hardware is quite gorgeous.

Hotter output was puzzling as I thought they had the same pickups. Pickups are a bit closer to the strings, maybe that is it.

Anyway, both are great. A new fairlane blue 5420 is hard to walk away from for $550 plus a quick solder job, but I’m probably going to focus on the 5422 for a while.

Thanks everyone for your ongoing guidance
Line 6 Helix.

Last edited by stevecuss; 11-16-2019 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling errors.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I played a 5420 and 5422 at GC.

I got all verklempt because they had a single fairyland blue 5420 on clearance for $549. The 5422 was $999 which is too far north of my budget.

The beautiful blue 5420 had an iffy pickup switch. It has a wiring issue with the bridge pickup. Probably an easy fix. Employee said that is probably why it is priced so low.

5422 was much hotter output and I loved the feel, for PUD the good hardware is quite gorgeous.

Hotter output was puzzling as I thought they had the same pickups. Pickups are a bit closer to the strings, maybe that is it.

Anyway, both are great. A new fairlane blue 5420 is hard to walk away from for $550 plus a quick solder job, but I’m probably going to focus on the 5422 for a while.

Thanks everyone for your ongoing guidance
If it's new it should be under warranty. Buy it, then ask for warranty repair or exchange.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-15-2019, 05:10 PM

Any of you Gretsch guys got anything to say about the Double Jet that Guitar Denter has on sale now?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch...20jet&index=13
Old 11-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Alrighty Grestch Heads,

I went back to GC and played the clearance 5420T Fairlane ($549), a 5422TG Sapphire Blue and a 5622T Walnut.

Unfortunately, I much prefer the feel of the 22 series over the 20 series, so that puts that wonderful clearance deal out of commission. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send a link to the store in question.

So I'm going to start chasing 5422 and 5622 guitars.

questions for any willing to help:

- I'm clear on the post 2016 improvements (treble bleed, thumb style fret markers, smaller headstock.) Is there any other benefit to the post 2016 models?

- Is the 56 series simply thinner than the 54 or is the internal makeup different? (ie, I've read about 'center block' etc, but am not clear if the very design is different.)

Anyone have a strong pref of one over the other?

thanks!
Line 6 Helix.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
...I'm going to start chasing 5422 and 5622 guitars.

Questions for any willing to help:

- I'm clear on the post 2016 improvements (treble bleed, thumb style fret markers, smaller headstock.) Is there any other benefit to the post 2016 models?

- Is the 56 series simply thinner than the 54 or is the internal makeup different? (ie, I've read about 'center block' etc, but am not clear if the very design is different.)

Anyone have a strong pref of one over the other?
In order:
  • Post-2016 5600-Series E-matics tend to be lighter; my '16 3-PU/cats'-eye 5622T-CB scales in at 9 lbs. 3 oz. - similar to some of the heavier early-70's Norlin-era ES-345/355 semis - so if you're sensitive to on-the-strap weight or have musculoskeletal issues you'll want one of the later versions
  • The main differentiating structural element in the 5600-Series is that it is/always was a true center-block semi like the Gibson 335/345/355 - the 5400's are old-school hollowbodies in the Brooklyn Gretsch tradition, and slightly thicker (albeit generally lighter) than the 5600's
  • As I've stated previously, the current-production Chinese-made 5622's forfeit the '70s-style black-top Filter'trons and 5600-Series-specific Super Hi'lo'Trons (my favorite among recent Gretsch pickups, BTW) in favor of Broad'trons, essentially a bargain-basement full-size humbucker fitted with an enlarged Gretsch-style cover and surround - TMK these are pretty much the same pickups used on the early-2K's E-matics, and which input from Gretsch aficionados compelled the company to develop the reverse-engineered blacktop F-tron as a more authentic tonal/visual replacement; if it's simply a matter of the double-cutaway design the 5422's are still made in Korea as of this writing, and since many of the big-box stores are clearing out their remaining stock of Korean 5622's (mostly black or '66 Chevy-style Georgia Green) - the cream-colored pickguard/pickup rings and smaller pickups are the giveaway - you might want to move on one of those while they're still around...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars