The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-14-2019, 12:26 PM

Default AER 60/4 AMP - RODE NT1-A - OTHER MICS?

Hi!

I would like your feedback. Im looking for a mic to guitar plugg into an AER COMPACT 60/4 amplifier.

Im after clear/warm sound, for vocal use mainly but will use it for my acoustic guitar as well. Focus on live preformance, but sometimes adding songs to the computer.

My first pick was RODE NT1-A but it seems to have a 48V Phantom power and the AER supports just 25V mics right?

Thanks for your help and thoughts!

All thats good!
Old 11-14-2019, 02:22 PM

I sure like the sound of my AER compact mobile with the vintage standard Shure SM-58.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:43 PM

It sounds very good. Do you know about any condenser 🎙 with large membrane that works with the AER amp? All I find is 48V PP and I guess that’s a problem for the AER right?

If there ain’t any options to plug 🔌 right in what is the next option to make the AER work with a condenser 🎙 large membran?
Old 11-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnymab View Post
My first pick was RODE NT1-A but it seems to have a 48V Phantom power and the AER supports just 25V mics right?
The Rode website says the Rode NT1-A will work with 24v or 48v phantom power.

https://www.rode.com/microphones/nt1-a

Most condenser mics are designed to work with 3 wire phantom power in the range of 9v to 52v. A minority require a full 48v.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:07 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Were it me and we were recording, I'd get the Rode NT-1 rather than the NT-1A. The NT-1 is a development that flattens out the frequency response a bit. While the NT-1A is a remarkable mic, the NT-1 is so smooth that it masquerades as a much more expensive mic. BTW, we have both of these mics at the studio where I work.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-15-2019, 12:39 AM

Phantom power
Microphones requiring 48V phantom power can be connected to the XLR-socket of channel 2 directly. Factory-provided phantom power is activated but, if required, may be deactivated by an internal jum- per.
In contrary 9V phantom power, if required, can ad- ditionally be activated in channel 1 by an internal jumper.
Please note: For both alterations the device must be opened, therefore only qualified service per- sonnel may carry out the modifications concer- ning the de-/activating of phantom power.
General Note: Use of 48V or 24V phantom power
(Phantom power = remote supply, here: powering an audio device via the connected audio line)
Turn on the phantom power only if the unit connec- ted to an XLR socket is designed to handle it!
In general, suitable units are e.g. condenser micro- phones, active DI-boxes and other special audio devices, whose power supply is drawn from the phantom power. Such devices are also labelled ac- cordingly; please heed the permissible power con- sumption (max.10mA).
High-quality dynamic microphones with a balanced signal need no phantom power, but can handle it anyway.
Other devices, which have not been designed expli- citly for phantom power operation, can suffer from considerable malfunctions and damage may result as well.
Examples of devices that may be damaged by in- correct application of phantom power include:
Low-cost dynamic microphones with a mono jack- plug (unbalanced signal) that were fitted afterwards with an XLR connector.
Audio devices with a balanced XLR output (e.g. DI- boxes, effects devices, instrument preamps with a DI output etc.) which are not protected against phantom power applied to their XLR output. (The DI connectors on AER products are protected against applied phantom power.)
Other audio devices (such as preamps, effects pe- dals etc.) whose unbalanced line output was repla- ced by an XLR socket.
If in doubt please consult the manufacturer of the device you are using.

—————————-

Thank You for the replies I will look at some condenser mics with large a membrane please share your real world experiences.

The rode nt1 looks very 👍🏽

All that’s good!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification