The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-14-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
To each their own, but the artificial aging thing isn't for me.

I mostly hang out on electric guitar forums.
Right now, there's a giant thread on one of them that I find pretty amusing.
There's a guy that has a "reliced" Les Paul, and he's upset that some of the damage might not be "factory scratches".

Sometimes, comedy writes itself.
The height of irony, sometimes reality, really is stranger than fiction.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-14-2019, 04:33 PM

How much was the purple tele selling on SDOTD for? Does anyone remember? I see that model is $1099 regularly. And yes I agree, it truly does look like a tribute to Danish Pete’s tele from Anderton’s Music.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:39 PM

I want to say it was 799 or 849 as the stupid deal of the day thing. Not a horrible price and under a grand.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGuitar View Post
I want to say it was 799 or 849 as the stupid deal of the day thing. Not a horrible price and under a grand.
Thank you 1stGuitar
Old 11-14-2019, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
How much was the purple tele selling on SDOTD for? Does anyone remember? I see that model is $1099 regularly. And yes I agree, it truly does look like a tribute to Danish Pete’s tele from Anderton’s Music.
I think it was $749. I think last Spring and maybe into summer it was regularly $799. It was a Guitar Center exclusive (so Musician’s Friend and all of their other associated brands had it too). So it was a couple hundred dollars lower than the standard Roadworn tele models. But it’s purple and sparkly purple at that. I guess it’s current high price is because the other roadworns are discontinued so I guess people that still want them may be willing to pay more. Except you undercut that when you periodically make it the SDOTD...

It seems Danish Pete’s starpower is such that his purple CS tele has spawned at least three imitators. There’s this MIM mid-priced Guitar, there’s Anderton’s Custom Shop replicas of Pete’s guitar. And now there are some budget model Squiers that Anderson’s is selling too, with Pete’s signature... The guy is a wonderful player, but how many purple guitars can one guy sell?

-Ray
Old 11-14-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I think it was $749. I think last Spring and maybe into summer it was regularly $799. It was a Guitar Center exclusive (so Musician’s Friend and all of their other associated brands had it too). So it was a couple hundred dollars lower than the standard Roadworn tele models. But it’s purple and sparkly purple at that. I guess it’s current high price is because the other roadworns are discontinued so I guess people that still want them may be willing to pay more. Except you undercut that when you periodically make it the SDOTD...

It seems Danish Pete’s starpower is such that his purple CS tele has spawned at least three imitators. There’s this MIM mid-priced Guitar, there’s Anderton’s Custom Shop replicas of Pete’s guitar. And now there are some budget model Squiers that Anderson’s is selling too, with Pete’s signature... The guy is a wonderful player, but how many purple guitars can one guy sell?

-Ray
Thanks for that Ray. I have to say, since I saw that purple tele on the Anderton’s video I have been thinking of it more than I should. And the kicker of it all is I don’t even like Telecasters! Bahahaha😂
Old 11-15-2019, 07:15 AM

My Tele wasn't so much road-worn as it was abused. Similar look, though. I got it as a deal sweeter when I sold my '53 Les. Pick guard had been replaced with split leather. Looked like it had been stored in a shed piled with barbed wire. Played fine but I never liked the split leather look. I'd love an aged guitar that had a story to it like "this was Keith Richards very first tele!"
Old 11-15-2019, 02:11 PM

It was indeed $750 and I just saw one at the local Guitar Denter here and it wasn't sparkly. Looked better than I expected though. I don't mind the purple so much as I mind the artificial wear.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
It was indeed $750 and I just saw one at the local Guitar Denter here and it wasn't sparkly. Looked better than I expected though. I don't mind the purple so much as I mind the artificial wear.
I haven’t seen one of these yet in shop but my impression was it didn’t have obvious sparkle paint finish. Last thing I saw in shop was a Jimmy Page Dragon Fender model which seemed to have a fairly subdued colour scheme at quick glance, the latter due to price tag and rosewood board imo. The entire debacle of the “return of the prominence of the telecaster” might be a good idea for a future thread.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Now compare that to this guitar:

This is a 45 year old guitar that has been with me for 42 years. It has spent time on the road, been to Atlanta Federal Pen., and has been used in countless recording sessions since 1979. A few dings and bruises but nothing through the finish. The binding is yellowing and there is some pick brush on the pickups and pick guard. Honest mileage may vary from "road worn."

Bob
Bob,

How have you maintained this guitar over the years? Looks very clean for a 45 year old instrument!
Old 11-18-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
This is a 45 year old guitar that has been with me for 42 years. It has spent time on the road, been to Atlanta Federal Pen., and has been used in countless recording sessions since 1979.
Dang, Bob! What did your Paul do to serve time in the Federal Pen.?

Old 11-18-2019, 09:34 PM

Dishonest, are you that sensitive to be triggered by a company offering a reliced guitar? Please stay indoors and don't read or listen to the news.

Geeze....
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-19-2019, 08:48 PM

At first I was in the agast camp. Slowly I became more open minded and began to see some great looking heavy relics.

I got the itch for a tele and watched MJT for something cheap and got one.

I now have 2 mjt teles and 1 mjt jazzmaster which has the nicest butterscotch based sunburst over swamp ash I have ever seen. Medium relicing. Real nitro not the one lacq coat over poly ala fender. On some he gets aged crazing into the top coats by using freezing or something. They are all different and buying from these type makers supports small family ops. And Fender has to move to the market given their huge overhead, there is no way around that I like how Fender is always willing to try things. I suspect they sell many to overseas.

But they are in the eye of the beholder to be sure. some are drab and nothing, and then others are absolute works of art as a visual thing, and I have to not bid on them.

It really is all good.

Last edited by John R; 11-19-2019 at 08:54 PM. Reason: add words
Old 11-19-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGuitar View Post
For those who are keeping count ... I am in the, “why am I paying extra for that it looks like it’s all worn out when I could buy something that looks brand new and go through the exercise of wearing it out myself” camp.

I mean to each their own I suppose. But for me personally, I guess I just don’t get it. I have gig cases and other cases in attempt to try to keep my equipment looking good and and protecting it. I sort of chuckle at these road worn models as they are pretty much what I am trying to avoid with my equipment to look like.

But just one dudes humble opinion ...
For what it's worth, this is my take too. I really don't get it. I take good care of the things I value. If the wear on them is genuine, earned over time, so be it. But I don't buy jeans with holes in them or guitars that have worn scratch plates, etc.
I guess I'm Olde School. I have a slight limp but, dammit, I've earned it over the years.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Old 11-20-2019, 01:21 PM

I mean come on, road worn. Always has been and will forever be one of the dumbest things in the guitar world.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars