The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-19-2019, 01:49 PM

Default Interesting observation on the OF660

I don't know why I hadn't thought of this before, but I just did a loudness test on my OF660 and was very happy with what I hear.

I was actually considering selling off this instrument (with reluctance) because it sounds a bit quiet for my tastes. I just tuned it to the same tuning as my Martin D Jr. (similar sized guitars), sat them side by side and plucked a note at a time. i honestly can say that the OF660 is louder by just a slight edge! The Journey has DR Sunbeam lights and the Martin has DR Sunbeam mediums.

The perceived quietness was from a player's perspective, but when sitting in front of them the Journey is actually a tad louder than my D Jr.

Maybe I just needed to find the right stings for my Journey? Needless to say that I'm very happy! I'll be doing some more flying and cruising in a couple months and this guitar is going nowhere- at least not for now......
Old 10-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I used to use Sunbeams a lot. Loved them, but I thought they were a bit quieter than most other strings. I may have to get some and try them on my D Jr. now.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:01 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Although one might think that the design and location of the offset soundhole on the Journey would provide the player with enhanced sound level, might the addition of a soundport help?
Old 10-19-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Although one might think that the design and location of the offset soundhole on the Journey would provide the player with enhanced sound level, might the addition of a soundport help?
I may be overly nitpicky about the volume. It is a parlor size guitar and really shouldn't expect it to be a canon. I made the soundport suggestion to James at Journey and possibly making a feedback buster. His words, not mine:

"We've already started working on the feedback buster and we could definitely add a sound port (like we put in our classical models) when we re-design the body. We're always improving the sound and weight characteristics so hopefully on v2.0 you'll see some sweet mods."

He said "when they redesign the body", not if.

I will say this though- if a soundport changes the hemholtz resonance of the OF660 I would rather deal with the loss of perceived volume. I wouldn't change the tone for anything as I'm very happy with that.

BTW, Journey has great customer service in the rare occasions I've reached out to them. Prompt and courteous.

Last edited by steelvibe; 10-19-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:28 PM

The fact that they're likely updating it makes me glad I've put off getting on OF660. I currently have an OF420B, and it's been such a wonderful tool for when I need to be out of town, but I've been thinking that the added benefit of CF durability/weather imperviousness would be really useful, too. However, it seems silly to have TWO travel guitars (three, actually, if you count the Emerald X7...)
Old 10-19-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I used to use Sunbeams a lot. Loved them, but I thought they were a bit quieter than most other strings. I may have to get some and try them on my D Jr. now.
Hey John- The medium Sunbeams sound great to my ears on the D Jr. 2. I'd been going mostly with 80/20 or Retros (which also sound great) and was going to stop using any PB strings because they tend to sound a bit muddy to my ears on this guitar.

That changed when I put these on. Lots of sparkle, sustain and growl. I also like that they have a tad less tension than most medium sets. So far for phosphor bronze I've used D'addario EXP lights, Santa Cruz low tension, D'addario EJ24, Thomastik Infeld Pletrums AC112 (which are SWEET but EXPENSIVE), and now these. For the price they are the best. If I want to drop $20 then TI Plectrums are the best.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:47 PM

In many situations, especially traveling, low volume is actually desired. You could be strumming away in public and no one knows how terrible you are. If you want to max out your play time which is a must ingredient for improvement, OF660 rules. You want to go stealth, well, it could look like just a plain old FAA approved bag.

That said, if they make a louder one with nylon, well, that changes everything.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber