The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2019, 03:00 PM

Funny how time changes ones perspective. When ‘Gilda’ was made I seriously doubt a bunch of guitar weenies(did they exist back then?)sat around talking about the guitar she was holding.
Well, I know for a fact I wouldn’t have been checking out any guitar she was holding.😉
Old 09-02-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwilliams View Post
It is funny that in the old days, the Gibson logo is always masked. No other brand was covered.

After noticing that in the Elvis movie, Viva Las Vegas (J-45 on the diving board), I started watching for it on all old movies. You can see Fender and other brands, but Gibson is always covered .

Wonder why that was?
Speaking of Elvis, this shot stunned me. He's playing an Australian made Maton jumbo - I've never even seen one in the flesh down here.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-02-2019, 03:43 PM

Finally, the voice of reason speaks up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
The voicing she's using in the 3rd picture is interesting, while in the middle picture, it looks like a cowboy G chord is her choice. Definitely looks like she wouldn't like a 1 11/16" neck. I can't see bridge pins she's using. Could it be a pinless bridge? Historically, she must be using Monel strings. Could the fretboard be Richlite? If so, that indicates that she's not a real player. She should really try a casein pick someday too.
My sentiments exactly, Frank! I'm glad to see that at least ONE person on this forum has his priorities straight!

whm

PS: Bronze strings did exist back then, they just weren't as commonly used as Monel and other nickel alloys.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Then in comes his daughter
Whose name was Rita
She looked like she stepped out of
La Dolce Vita

I had to do it because Bob told me to do so!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-02-2019, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Dolly Parton sees to manage somehow! Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mZ-uGBXsHc

Wasn't that nice?

Dolly said that she had to work at her long nail technique as she just did not want to give up her long nails. She played in tunings that minimized what she had to fret and made use of barred chords. Dolly is sure one of a kind and no slouch as a musician.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-02-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Dolly said that she had to work at her long nail technique as she just did not want to give up her long nails. She played in tunings that minimized what she had to fret and made use of barred chords. Dolly is sure one of a kind and no slouch as a musician.
Dolly Parton is a genius at everything that she does. I'm a huge fan.

Back in the olden days, when I was still in high school and Porter Wagoner had a syndicated television show that our local TV station carried on Saturday afternoons, I happened to catch it when I was channel-flipping. He was so outlandish with his bleached blond pompadour and suits with wagon wheels and Saguaro cacti embroidered on them that I stopped to watch the show, just to goof on him.

I wasn't a country music fan at that point.

After his opening number, when he introduced "Little Miss Dolly Parton," I saw her and thought:

"Oh, my God, she's a female version of HIM!!"

But all that mockery and sense of cultural superiority of mine INSTANTLY dissipated the instant she opened her mouth and started singing. My Lord, what an incredible talent, and that was as obvious to the snooty suburban 15 year old kid I was then as it is to me now. I couldn't believe how talented she was, and remains.

After that I would attempt to catch the Porter Wagoner show when it aired. Dolly Parton was and remains a phenomenal songwriter, singer and all-around performer. Truly one of the greats.

Wade Hampton Miller

PS: I've also seen her play acoustic guitar with those Fu Manchu-like fingernails, and you're completely correct, she's rock solid on that, as well.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Dolly Parton is a genius at everything that she does. I'm a huge fan.

Back in the olden days, when I was still in high school and Porter Wagoner had a syndicated television show that our local TV station carried on Saturday afternoons, I happened to catch it when I was channel-flipping. He was so outlandish with his bleached blond pompadour and suits with wagon wheels and Saguaro cacti embroidered on them that I stopped to watch the show, just to goof on him.

I wasn't a country music fan at that point.

After his opening number, when he introduced "Little Miss Dolly Parton," I saw her and thought:

"Oh, my God, she's a female version of HIM!!"

But all that mockery and sense of cultural superiority of mine INSTANTLY dissipated the instant she opened her mouth and started singing. My Lord, what an incredible talent, and that was as obvious to the snooty suburban 15 year old kid I was then as it is to me now. I couldn't believe how talented she was, and remains.

After that I would attempt to catch the Porter Wagoner show when it aired. Dolly Parton was and remains a phenomenal songwriter, singer and all-around performer. Truly one of the greats.

Wade Hampton Miller

PS: I've also seen her play acoustic guitar with those Fu Manchu-like fingernails, and you're completely correct, she's rock solid on that, as well.
There was a lot more to Porter Wagoner than the hair and the suits.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:31 AM

Poor Rita Hayworth. Despite her beauty, elegance and fame, she had a pretty miserable life going back to childhood.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 09-03-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
There was a lot more to Porter Wagoner than the hair and the suits.
I realize that now, but it wasn’t something I had a frame of reference for as a 15 year old kid who hadn’t ever been around country music prior to that.

No, you’re right, Porter Wagoner couldn’t have remained as prominent and successful as he was without a lot of talent. He wasn’t a one hit wonder or flash in the pan.

whm
Old 09-03-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
Poor Rita Hayworth. Despite her beauty, elegance and fame, she had a pretty miserable life going back to childhood.
Her later life wasn’t much fun, either: she had early onset Alzheimer’s disease.

Plus, before that she was married to Orson Welles for a while. He was a brilliant, exceedingly talented guy, but he couldn’t have been much fun to be married to.

whm
Old 09-03-2019, 08:37 AM

I don't think Rita handles any guitars in 'Cover Girl', but man does she look good!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion