The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-09-2020, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by granttucker View Post
This guitar is worth every penny! The more I play it, record it and even just look at it...the more I am impressed. I’m normally cursed with immediate buyers remorse, but I couldn’t be happier with this Sable.
I’ll experiment with strings overtime for the fun of it.
I think the only way to get our carbon fiber guitars to "open up" (aside from your state governor's proclamation or from the White House, assuming you live in the US) is to look at it - a lot. Apparently, carbon fiber guitars don't ever change from playing them a lot. So I keep mine out on its stand all the time and ... look at it, a lot. A few years down the road, maybe I will notice a difference in how it sounds, an opening up like Brazilian rosewood.

If it seems things can get a bit weird around here, well, its carbon fiber and that does seem weird to all the other sub-forums around here where wood rules the day.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-10-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I think the only way to get our carbon fiber guitars to "open up" (aside from your state governor's proclamation or from the White House, assuming you live in the US) is to look at it - a lot. Apparently, carbon fiber guitars don't ever change from playing them a lot. So I keep mine out on its stand all the time and ... look at it, a lot. A few years down the road, maybe I will notice a difference in how it sounds, an opening up like Brazilian rosewood.

If it seems things can get a bit weird around here, well, its carbon fiber and that does seem weird to all the other sub-forums around here where wood rules the day.

Tony
Too funny... My touring is the first thing I see in the morning other then my lovely wife :-). It is next to my dresser in a stand and funny how I just like looking at it and think of all the possibilities.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Too funny... My touring is the first thing I see in the morning other then my lovely wife :-). It is next to my dresser in a stand and funny how I just like looking at it and think of all the possibilities.
The guitar fretboard offers enormous possibilities for making music. No two people sound alike unless one of them has a specific purpose to sound like another. There are so many ways to play the same thing in various place on the fretboard. A study of harmony opens so many doors, and learning to play 3 or 4 note chords instead of always using all 6 strings, really opens up the possibilities because most any such chord form can be any of several different chords, depending on the context.

After all that, we change the tuning of any string(s) and further expand the possibilities. The guitar is like a puzzle that has so many possibilities, it would take several lifetimes to explore them all. Whoever came up with those 6 strings and 12+ frets was pure genius.

All that in such a portable package, and then add carbon fiber, and it is the perfect package, available any time we care to explore it.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-10-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

I've had a Sable for a couple of years now.
Tone is a very personal thing and to my ear the Sable has a fuller less bright tone than most carbon guitars, I'm even thinking of trying 80/20's on it just to get a little less of a full sound. It's very pleasing to the ear.
I think the neck and setup is without doubt the easiest playing of any guitar I've ever owned and I'm spoilt by having some nice instruments.
I put a Trance Amulet in it for amplification and I get a very reasonable acoustic tone for gigs which is also feedback resistant.
My only complaint with the Sable is it does not have great acoustic volume, playing on your own it's fine, but in an acoustic jam it won't punch through so leads can be heard.
All round it's a great instrument and would be close to perfect if it was a little louder.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:08 PM

For me, louder would be bad as I mainly record and rarely play live anymore.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber