The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2015, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

I always thought that my Masterbilt DR-500R sounded like a Martin.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-16-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Yet in these threads, it is inevitable that people recommend that the OP's up their budgets by 10-100%. Go figure.
Probably because people realize you often overshoot your budget when you actually see what's available. I don't remember the last time I stuck to what I thought my budget was going in on any purchase, it's a moving target.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:37 PM

one of these days I will own a Gibson J45, and most likely i'll be buried with it lol. but the purpose of my original post was more a question of if you had "x" amount of money what guitar would you buy? I mentioned the Epiphone masterbilt line as a point of reference to see if there was anything better in the same price range. because on paper they seem to have an excellent feature/cost ratio going on.

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 05-16-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalkingsausage View Post
one of these days I will own a Gibson J45, and most likely i'll be buried with it lol. but the purpose of my original post was more a question of if you had "x" amount of money what guitar would you buy? I mentioned the Epiphone masterbilt line as a point of reference to see if there was anything better in the same price range. because on paper they seem to have an excellent feature/cost ratio going on.

I totally hear what you're saying. I responded earlier too.

If I had a "someday" guitar in mind, I'd be shopping for something different sounding that is also something I'd want. Or at the very least something versatile that I'd want to keep even when I finally got the dream guitar.

For under a grand and all solid wood, I'd definitely give a strong consideration to the Yamaha LL16 ($799) or LL16M ($699). Solid versatile guitars that are well built that could easily be the guitar you take with you in the future to places you don't want to take your J-45.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)

Old 05-16-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I love Epiphone acoustics. The Materbuilts I've played are fantastic guitars, and an EXCELLENT value, as are the lower end models like the EL-00, and I also love the IB Texans, but none sound like J45's. You might dig the IB Texan though, as long as you're cool with the longer scale.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:16 PM

I know we all hear things differently but for the life of me I can't understand why people like the Masterbilts. I tried a few at Guitar Center and after one strum I put each one down in disgust lol. I thought they sounded horrible. Of course you might feel differently so try em out.

I agree with those saying check out Eastmans.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephKim View Post
I know we all hear things differently but for the life of me I can't understand why people like the Masterbilts. I tried a few at Guitar Center and after one strum I put each one down in disgust lol. I thought they sounded horrible. Of course you might feel differently so try em out.

I agree with those saying check out Eastmans.

I'm with you on at least the only Masterbillt I tried, the DR-500MCE. I ordered one from Sweetwater and I felt I was trying to hard to like it. It also did not play as fluid as my other guitars, even my FG700S. They are very heavily built and it comes across in the tone. The bridge pin holes were also cut terribly. Very inconsistent. I got a replacement and it was pretty much the same with the same things I didn't like.

'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Old 05-16-2015, 06:21 PM

$500 is my personal limit on an import because there are tons of great choices like the Masterbilt DR500MCE (MF blemished can be had for under $500). I agree with what has been said before about the Blueridge all-solid BG140; however, they start in the mid $600 range without a case.

GC has 4 used Gibson J-15's listed on their website for $1,100. They all come with cases and have LR Baggs Element pickups. My money would be on a used J-15.

Last edited by hiddenmickey; 05-16-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So in the sub $1,000 dollar range. How do Epiphone Masterbilt guitars stack up? I want something that is made from solid wood. I like that they have bone nuts, and saddles already installed, in addition to the grover machine heads. Plus they are also electric to boot. I love Gibson guitars but I can't afford them, nor could I justify doing so, even if I had the money to spend. (I have too many other ducks to get in a row) So with all that said, I suppose my real question is: are there other brands that offer this much bang for the buck, while also giving that Gibson-esque vibe. I'm particularly interested in the Epiphone AJ-45me which is a short scale J45-ish type thing. I would like to get something that that I can get attached to rather than being tempted to trade in a couple months. thanks!
As another poster mentioned, I'd seriously consider the 24-month same as cash deal at Sweetwater to acquire your Gibson J-45 Standard. Although you can't play them before ordering, you can visually compare several in-stock guitars and select the one that looks best to you. You can always return it for another if the tone isn't to your liking. At least this way, you'll get a real J-45 that you'll be more likely to keep for a lifetime.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-16-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
As another poster mentioned, I'd seriously consider the 24-month same as cash deal at Sweetwater to acquire your Gibson J-45 Standard. Although you can't play them before ordering, you can visually compare several in-stock guitars and select the one that looks best to you. You can always return it for another if the tone isn't to your liking. At least this way, you'll get a real J-45.

Regards,

SpruceTop

Definitely. I had suggested that above. On a j-45, the monthly payment is just under $93 for 24 months. If the OP could feasibly put aside $25 a week, they could easily just order up a J-45 today.

'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advanced jumbo, dreadnaught, epiphone, gibson, j45