The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-22-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Default My Suggestion To Emerald & RainSong

The only thing I don't like about my Emerald X20 is that the neck width and depth flare a bit too much as I play up the neck. Also, the N2 neck RainSongs that I've previously owned were also similarly cumbersome to play. This makes thumb-fretting more of a chore the higher up I go. My suggestion to Emerald and RainSong, and any guitar maker, is to get a Taylor guitar with its NT neck or a Martin with a Performance Artist neck taper and use them as a basis for your neck profile. Also, check out the Gibson J-45 neck profile.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-22-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:41 PM

Well I can't say I fully disagree with you. I have no issues with Emeralds neck but I can understand that it might be a little thicker for some. Rainsong N2 neck for sure I absolutely agree it's time for a redesign on that neck. The McPherson Sable neck is pretty close to a Taylor neck profile and I find it quite comfortable continuous hours of play.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:42 PM

I'm agnostic on the Rainsong N2 neck. While it is certainly possible for me to play them, the older neck just feels better to me - like well-worn shoes that fit perfectly. Some more recent models have been pondered, but that N2 neck is an obstacle, to be perfectly candid. That is why I will always keep my Hawaiian built WS-1000 from early 2001. Given the significant expense of mold making for their process, I understand why they stick with it.

These days I am all about Emerald, to the point that only one Taylor guitar will remain when I am done (down from nine at one point). I have two in koa, but the GS-K is nearly ready to leave. I got into Taylor because the neck profile was so comfy and playable, but I am moving steadily away from wooden instruments.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The only thing I don't like about my Emerald X20 is that the neck width and depth flare a bit too much as I play up the neck. Also, the N2 neck RainSongs that I've previously owned were also similarly cumbersome to play. This makes thumb-fretting more of a chore the higher up I go. My suggestion to Emerald and RainSong, and any guitar maker, is to get a Taylor guitar with its NT neck or a Martin with a Performance Artist neck taper and use them as a basis for your neck profile. Also, check out the Gibson J-45 neck profile.
So, Emerald and Rainsong need to change their neck profile because one customer doesn’t like either?

Just kidding, of course - but I will point out that Emerald will quite happily work with you to customize a neck profile to your preferences. For a price, of course - but they do offer the option.

I’m one of those annoying (or fortunate) people to whom neck profile, string spacing, nut width and so on don’t much matter. I have my preferences, of course, but I can honestly say that I’ve only ever disposed of one guitar purely for playability reasons. That was a Godin 5th Avenue - I never could get on with the neck on that thing, and eventually came to the conclusion that it was the way the fretboard edges were profiled into the neck.

For me, the X20 neck is just about perfect, regardless of where I play on it. Suits my hands very nicely indeed.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 05-22-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:18 AM

My last martin 000 18 had a PA neck that I think was an effort to be more Taylor like, I liked it, the depth of the neck on my x7 seems to stay thin up the neck like the PA, the fretborad seems a little wider than it needs to be but still the most playable guitar I've owned.

Last edited by MCP850; 05-23-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post

I agree with you. Just did my first full gig with an X20 and had trouble with the width of the neck past the 5th fret. The thickness wasn’t a problem but hand got fatigued. Not enough to put me off the guitar but enough that I noticed the discomfort.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 05-24-2020, 10:09 AM

I completely agree. I paid extra for an 1-7/8" nut width and 2-5/16" at the bridge. I assumed that the taper would
correspond to these increased dimensions like my custom Taylor 616 and my factory spec Taylor nylon guitar. I've thought about having it re-worked, either here or back in Ireland but don't know if that's workable. The breakover radius at the fretboard edges also seems to be smaller than optimal. Of course, I still love the guitar except for this issue. Thumbing over for chords just doesn't work, though.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 06-06-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I’m one of those annoying (or fortunate) people to whom neck profile, string spacing, nut width and so on don’t much matter. I have my preferences, of course, but I can honestly say that I’ve only ever disposed of one guitar purely for playability reasons. That was a Godin 5th Avenue - I never could get on with the neck on that thing, and eventually came to the conclusion that it was the way the fretboard edges were profiled into the neck.
Agree about the neck not being an issue. I have the Rainsong Shorty SFT and LOVE the neck. Had to laugh because my only 'electric' guitar is a 5th Ave Kingpin II
Old 06-06-2020, 03:03 PM

Given that Emerald does custom necks, how difficult do you think it would be for them to take measurements of a (ubiquitous) Taylor and then make a similar neck carve a standard option on their 6 (and 12?) string guitars? If easily doable, I bet that they would sell like crazy to electric guitarists and others who enjoy Taylor neck ergonomics.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
...If easily doable, I bet that they would sell like crazy to electric guitarists and others who enjoy Taylor neck ergonomics.
I began to realize the Quarantine Project videos that Alistair wears the hats of an extremely skilled machinist, artisan and craftsman. I also developed a much greater appreciation for what it takes to make just the mould for a carbon fiber guitar. Modifying necks is definitely do-able but just how easily do-able is a question for Alistair to answer. Emerald's motto should be, "Sure we can do it, but are you willing to pay for it."

I stipulated three very minor specification changes for the "custom" X30 I had built. I had absolutely no qualms about what I was charged for this amazing guitar; but I also realize that as one chooses various options for a real custom built Emerald, the price goes up quickly. Having seen the Quarantine Project videos, I can certainly see why...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-06-2020, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

While initially I would have preferred a thinner neck close to the nut on my RainSong Concert Hybrid Orchestra Model 12 Fret (bought in February), it was okay, and I really liked the sound. After 4 months I'm fine with the neck, the action is low, and surprisingly, even with it being thicker in the first few frets than my other guitars, at times it seems I can change between chords faster and easier.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-06-2020, 04:20 PM

0 issues with the RainSong neck. In recent weeks I’ve realized more and more that I like it, not that I ever had an issue with it. I personally think a lot of people could adapt to most necks if they had the will /interest to do so.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 06-06-2020, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Always wondered why necks get wider as you go up the fingerboard. Is there a reason for doing this?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-06-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
....I personally think a lot of people could adapt to most necks if they had the will /interest to do so.
It is not always that simple. I once had four Martin guitars, including one custom shop J40. But around the age of 48 something about that neck profile really began bothering my fretting hand. Now all four are gone. And I really liked the rich & powerful monster tone of that J40....

I can still play any Taylor for 2+ hours, or my Rainsongs, Emeralds, Seagull, Blackbird, etc with absolutely no pain. But 20 minutes on most Martin necks will cause my left hand to ache for hours. I don't even need to see the peg head to feel it. People often ask me to play their Martin (new or old) to hear what it sounds like from out front. I indulge the request - but only for a few minutes - unless I'm really almost done playing for the day.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:35 AM

I used to travel a lot on business (one guitar if any) and always had a preference for traveling light in life. I find whatever guitar I play for a week or two, becomes my favorite sounding and any opinion about the neck fades in a day or two. I did not love the N2 neck at first play, but like the D-18 Authentic I had a chance to play for a while, that problem quickly faded (that D-18 is in my less than objective memory the best guitar I've ever touched).

There are many posts on the AGF about reasons to prefer one guitar or another, which I find to be a truly first world problem that would be quickly solved if they only played one of their guitars :~). Seems to me to justify GAS you need a lot of self talk.

I once had one of my staff smuggle a Mexican Fender Strat to give to the son of my managing director in Bangalore. I remember going to the local store to buy the guitar and thinking none of the ones in stock impressed me. But for years I got pictures of a happy kid playing that Strat in various bands.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber