The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 11:35 AM

Most higher-end guitars don't have electronics, because a lot of people would rather make the choice to add them themselves.

A used D-18 made after 2012 would be a very good choice. I have one and love it.

A used Gibson slope shoulder might also meet your criteria. They are very balanced, and can be had within your budget.

To me, Taylors get too bright and tinny, and are mostly conducive to strumming, which is why you see old videos of Taylor Swift playing one. If that's what you do, it's perfect. But for a more well-rounded tone, I'd go Martin or Gibson.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 02-20-2019, 11:48 AM

Thanks for all the replies! Yes, I'm residing in Europe and do have access to many of the mentioned brands. The problem is that many of them are less known and the used market for these is very small. It's all flooded with Gibson, Taylor and Martin, that's why there are so many Taylors in my lineup.

I have in fact looked at the Martin 000-15 and 000-17 series, they look nice, sound good yet different from regular Martin. The prices are about the same as the 314ce.

What are your opinions on the guitars I mentioned. These are actually the only ones that are currently available of all those y'all talked about. One addition though, the Gibson sj100 1941, same price range.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 12:11 PM

The Taylor Academy12e is a very nice sounding and playing guitar. Miles better than baby, big baby and GS mini in my opinion. Or the new Martin performing artist limited solid ovangkol model is very sweet and has complex sounds with nice variety based on how you play
Old 02-20-2019, 12:19 PM

For that sort of money you're barely getting entry-level Taylor, and you can do much better in terms of specification, elsewhere. The same goes for entry-level Gibsons.

Someone above suggested Yamaha, and as an owner of multiple L-series models I can heartily endorse the recommendation. The all-solid LL16 dread is within your budget, as are the LS16 small body (OM), and the small jumbo, LJ16. Plenty of videos available online.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:22 PM

Since you like Taylor and are in Europe, you should look at Furch. They have better quality control than Taylor as they make fewer guitars per year. They also make Grand Auditoriums (G shapes).
Old 02-20-2019, 01:58 PM

A martin to consider especially if you can play one.....Road series, GPCRSG. It's a lot of guitar for the money and probably could get a deal right here from a dealer.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Id look at Takamine Pro series... made in Japan. excellent electronics. The P3DC is outstanding. Balanced...
How does the P3DC compare to the EF341?
Old 02-20-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Since you like Taylor and are in Europe, you should look at Furch. They have better quality control than Taylor as they make fewer guitars per year. They also make Grand Auditoriums (G shapes).
I wonder how you know Furch has better quality control than Taylor?

If we think that both companies make a few mistakes and have less than first quality with a percentage of their totals, then making fewer guitars does not necessarily mean fewer less than perfect instruments.
I don't know what Taylor's percentage of less than perfect guitars is. I don't know what percentage of Furch guitars are less than perfect.

I am sure it is a well kept secret for both companies.

Having smaller production numbers does not mean fewer "b stock" guitars.

That is speculation at best.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
I wonder how you know Furch has better quality control than Taylor?

If we think that both companies make a few mistakes and have less than first quality with a percentage of their totals, then making fewer guitars does not necessarily mean fewer less than perfect instruments.
I don't know what Taylor's percentage of less than perfect guitars is. I don't know what percentage of Furch guitars are less than perfect.

I am sure it is a well kept secret for both companies.

Having smaller production numbers does not mean fewer "b stock" guitars.

That is speculation at best.

What I mean is not really "b-stock" with flaws of finish or dings on guitars but rather perfectly put together guitars, but done sound like dogs. I've played a handful of great Taylor's, but every Furch I've played is better. It just seems to me that Furch has a higher starting floor of sound, and having lower quanties of a commodity allows the general quality of each to improve as a general rule.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:54 PM

Well, you are dealing with quite a wide range of Taylors.

I own some in the 5xx series as well as a 322 and a 412 (so, no rosewood).

I would discard the ES I : so do not pay for it !

I was recemtly blown away by the sound of an Academy played by a pro, fingerstyle.

If you already plan to replace the guitar in a few years, I would fo with the Academy.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:11 PM

Jef, Welcome to the AGF! Glad that you're here.

Sounds like you like Taylors and they are very available where you are. 314s are great guitars.

Are you near a shop where you can play many guitars from different manufacturers in your price range? If so, do it. Even if it's a 2 hour drive away. You might find something you never considered.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:15 PM

I've never heard a factory-installed pickup system that I like as much as a K&K Pure Western Mini. For around $100 USD plus installation, you can put one into any guitar you want and have great stage sound.

As for the guitar, there are many in that price range that will be very good. If it were my money, I'd be looking at Eastmans.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, martin, taylor