The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2015, 02:25 PM

Default Silent Acoustic for husband

Hey brains trust!
I'm after a bit of help please, I'm wanting to get my husband a Christmas present and I've heard of silent guitars. We have young kids and a small house, so he doesn't strum as much as he used to and he uses lack of practice as his excuse for not playing his original music at his gigs. So I'm thinking a silent guitar would be perfect, but I don't know which one to get, my husband plays a Cole Clark Fat Lady with metal string (if that makes any difference?).
Does anyone have any advice please?
Old 10-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

google "Yamaha silent guitar" and "Aria Sinsonido"

http://www.guitarsite.com/silent-guitar/

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-23-2015, 02:37 PM

Yamaha makes a silent acoustic with steel strings. It's very quiet and comes with battery powered built in electronics that means he can put on headphones and hear what he's playing.

http://au.yamaha.com/en/products/mus...silentguitars/
Old 10-23-2015, 02:41 PM

When I need to play quiet, I use my Gretsch Electromatic unplugged. It's a hollowbody electric guitar.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

I don't have one, but I've been eyeing ones like this:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...gn=ActiveMinus

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-23-2015, 05:41 PM

You are a fantastic wife. Well done!

The main consideration for playability for me for a guitar out of the blue would be it's nut width and neck profile.

The Cole Clark Fat Ladies have a neck width (at nut) of 1.73", which some consider quite quite wide (I don't).

So it would be a matter of finding a guitar as near to that size at the nut, and of a similar feel on the neck.

The Yamaha Silent Guitars have a slightly narrower nut width, but also quite a skinny neck profile, which I don't personally get on with. You husband might...

Yamaha guitars are quite common and he may well have played one at some time. Is there any way you can drop into conversation if he gets on with playing Yamahas?

I can't comment on the Aria suggested above.

Good luck !

Comfy '07 Stonebridge OMS-22-CM for enjoying; Thumpy '93 Seagull S6 for thwacking on; Mellifluous '66 S.Yairi for being nylon on.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:47 PM

When winter drives me out of the garage and into the house I use an solid body electric guitar plugged into an Electro-Harmonix headphone amp that is run to a stereo system. This can be turned down real low and still sounds good. I know it's crazy but this system is less obtrusive than any acoustic guitars that I have. She who watches Dancing with the Stars and the Bachelor has not complained yet.

Most likely not a solution for you - but I thought I might share what has worked for me
Old 10-23-2015, 07:14 PM

MrsHiggo, a LOT of husbands here are going to appreciate your thoughtful gift! Glad you've come here to ask for advice. You've already received some great suggestions. I have one more, assuming he already plays: don't buy it for him without his help. That's because we guitarists tend to have some very specific preferences when it comes to our instruments, and what fits one guitarist perfectly the next one will hate. So rather than surprising him with a guitar of your choosing, surprise him with a card that you and/or the kids made, one that includes a sweet note about a trip to his favorite guitar dealer to pick out his choice of a silent guitar. Put an "up to $_____" limit on it if you need to. I've suggested this approach to several people over the years, and it has always seemed to work out well.

cotten
Old 10-24-2015, 03:48 AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys (and possibly gals?)!
Old 10-24-2015, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

As mentioned, Yamaha does make a "Silent Guitar" in both steel strings and nylon. I played the steel version for years as a travel guitar and I loved it. It's an excellent guitar for the money and it even sounds nice when plugged in. The headphones allow him to hear his playing without bothering everyone else in the house. It does have a slightly narrower neck than most, but I loved it… it was perfect for me! And the neck is slick and easy to play… a lovely fretboard!
Old 10-24-2015, 06:34 AM

I don't have any suggestions to add, just wanted to say that I'm certain your husband will be overjoyed by this. All men will count themselves lucky to have found a wife that supports his hobbies and avenues of self expression!

Playing
* Ibanez V70BK (2005)
* Martin OMC-1E (2010)
* Taylor 414ce (2015)

SoundCloud
Old 10-24-2015, 07:15 AM

Such a nice gesture. By the way, when I first saw the post I thought it said "Silent Husband for Acoustic."

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 10-24-2015, 07:19 AM

I would look for a modeling guitar. Its an electric solid body that has built in processing that lets one emulate the sound of various guitars into a headset. No sound in itself is "spot-on" but the variety might contribute to artistic inspiration.

I always just played my electric uplugged.

Good luck and a lovely gesture on your part.

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 10-24-2015, 08:39 AM

I guess since it is a gift you gesture, a silent guitar may be a nice idea. I personally use my electric with headphones when I need to be quiet.

One thing to consider is that the feel of a guitar to the player can be very personal and something that takes time to pick out the feel before satisfied. I am just saying this to think about you will be giving him something he will be obligated to play whether it is preferable or not.

Best of luck in your endeavor.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 10-24-2015, 08:50 AM

Deleted by author.

Last edited by Inyo; 11-01-2015 at 06:45 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, silent guitar