The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-14-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewernet View Post
Wow... Gooood explanation.
So, from now, i started to consider a good EQ in my gig set and budget...
The other consideration, and I know you're looking at the Lyric right now... is the K&K Pure Western Mini. This pickup will, like the lyric, require some kind of external preamp (PADI will work) and EQ, just like the lyric, but it will be cheaper especially if money is an issue. Oh and if you want to know how it sounds look up some Andy McKee live videos as he uses these in all his guitars.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBT View Post
Oh and if you want to know how it sounds look up some Andy McKee live videos as he uses these in all his guitars.
I think he dual sources his guitars. Only been to one of his concerts but it was definitely dual sourced ... going into Solstice. He also mentions this dual sourcing in one of his rig videos (but this is most probably out of date now)
Old 09-15-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBT View Post
This pickup will, like the lyric, require some kind of external preamp...
Dumb question here. If you're using an outboard preamp for the Lyric, do you still need to use the internal battery for the Lyric?
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 09-15-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
Dumb question here. If you're using an outboard preamp for the Lyric, do you still need to use the internal battery for the Lyric?
The Lyric doesn't need a preamp in all situations because it already has one built into the jack socket ... hence the need for battery.

Really it's more an EQ (rather than preamp) that you need with the Lyric. I have used it with just a modified MXR 6 Band EQ which has sliders for 400 and 800 Hz (which just happen to be the main problem frequencies for my setup)

That's not to say that it doesn't benefit from a good preamp ... I think the signal going through my Tonebone PreZ is better than direct to my amp or desk.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
Dumb question here ... do you still need to use the internal battery for the Lyric?
This is not a dumb question ... unfortunately, you can't really do without the preamp because it is kinda hard wired to the mic. The mic and preamp appear to be purpose built for each other ... and without power from the battery there is no signal at all.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
I think he dual sources his guitars. Only been to one of his concerts but it was definitely dual sourced ... going into Solstice. He also mentions this dual sourcing in one of his rig videos (but this is most probably out of date now)
I know he used to use dual source but I'm pretty sure he ditched the mic recently. However I could still be wrong? Guess the answer is on the andymckee forum somewhere. In any case the point I'm making is that the K&K mini is a good pickup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
anthem, baggs, lyric, yamaha f370