The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-01-2013, 08:12 AM

Default Buying advice (Godin, Ovation, Taylor)

Hi guys,

I'm planning on buying a new nylon (with pick-up) guitar. I'm going to use it primarily for live playing in small venues, singer/songwriter kind of stuff, and maybe some occasional, if any, recording. I've narrow my possibilities to these three guitars, Godin Encore Multiact, Ovation Pro Nylon and the Taylor 214ce-N.
I particularly like the Godin and Ovation. The Taylor, I don't' know, seems expensive for the features. I would like to hear your opinion regarding these guitars, and feel free to suggest others (as long they still on the $800 - $850 range )

Thanks!

Here are the features of each model:

Godin Multiac Nylon Encore Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Features
Body Type: Chambered
Body Wood: Silverleaf Maple with Poplar Wings
Top wood: Solid Cedar
Scale Length: 25 1/2''
Neck Joint: Bolt-On
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Fretboard: Indian Rosewood
Neck Shape: Soft C
# frets: 22
Nut Width: 1 7/8''
Fretboard Radius: 16''
Bridge: Indian Rosewood
Pickups: Soundboard and Bridge Undersaddle Pickup
Controls: Custom Godin Preamp
Tuners: Godin
Finish: Semi Gloss
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

Ovation Pro Nylon

Features
Top: AA grade solid cedar
Body: Mid-depth GS
Finish: Natural
Bracing: Scalloped X bracing
Sound hole: Center sound hole
Rosette: Inalyed oak leaf w/ pearl inlays
Neck: 5-Piece mahogany/maple
Neck finish: Natural gloss
Peghead finish: Gloss black
Fingerboard: Ebony
F/B Inlays: None
Scale length: 26 3/16”
Bridge: Walnut w/ black stain
Tuners: Gold w/ soft-touch buttons
Preamp: OP Pro
Pickup: Ovation OCP-1K
Molded 8158 case included
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...-string-guitar

Taylor 214ce-N Rosewood/Spruce Nylon String Grand Auditorium Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Features
Shape: Grand Auditorium
Back/Side Wood: Rosewood Laminate
Top Wood: Sitka Spruce
Neck/Heel: Tropical Mahogany
Electronics: ES-N®
Bracing: Nylon Bracing
Binding: White
Fretboard Wood: Ebony
Fretboard Inlay: 6mm Dots
Headstock Overlay: Indian Rosewood
Bridge Inlay: None
Bridge Pins: None
Nut & Saddle: Tusq
Tuners: Classical Chrome with Pearloid Buttons
Truss Rod Cover: Indian Rosewood
Back/Side Finish: Satin
Top Finish: Gloss
Neck Finish: Satin
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar
Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 AM

Personally I would go with the Ovation or the Godin. For live purposes they are better than the Taylor imo. Ovation makes some really great sounding preamps imo. I owned an Ovation Viper for years and it sounded great plugged in and honestly the Godin nylons I've tried were great too. Just be aware that they won't have a normal nylon string, classical guitar sound. It will be obvious that it is an electric nylon string.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

May be slightly above you price range but I own one of the newer Godin's that has the Fishman Aura system in it and it sounds just fantastic plugged in and would rival about anything out there. I think I gave around $1200 for it new but maybe there might be a used one out there somewhere?

I have played a bunch of the Taylors plugged & unplugged and was not impressed with the plugged in sound at all.

Ovations are mostly overlooked bu would be a nice choice to play live I'd think.

Another guitar to consider would be a used Rick Turner. These are similar in design to the Godin's and by all accounts are terrific guitars. Our Bass player has one of the Bass's an it's really a great bass.

Good luck to you!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 04-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

You might also look at the Breedlove Passport N250 nylon crossover. I've had one for over a year and it's been a great guitar. I took-out its stock electronics and replaces them with a Baggs Element system. Even doing that, the price would still come in well under your price requirements.

Btw... I've got the N250's MUCH more expensive "big brother", the Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova crossover and yes... the Masterclass is in a whole other league in terms of appointments, fit&finish, etc... but it's not thousands of dollars "better" than the N250. The N250 is my recording and gigging backup. But I have recorded it and I have gigged it and enjoyed doing so.

I've owned Ovations and don't care for how they play or how they sit in my lap. I would like a Godin for being able to stand and play, but the poster above is correct in that they don't sound like a natural acoustic guitar. I have no opinion on the Taylor other than they want a lot of money for their low-end, laminate-bodied models. You should get all solid wood guitars for what they want for their laminates.

You might also look at some of the Cordoba models.

Also, as far as amplification goes... I've had all of the Roland and Fishman Loudbox amps in my home (and gigged several) and for nylon string my favorite amp BY FAR is the the Fishman Loudbox Mini. I've been gigging mine for the past year and it's just been great. I brought home the Loudbox Performer last week in hopes of getting something bigger and more capable, but in the end I liked the sound of the Mini for nylon string better. I've got a Loudbox Artist at my house right now that I've been A/B'ing with the Mini and for nylon string tones, I STILL prefer the Mini. The Artist and Performer sound fine with my steel string acoustics, but the flat/scooped EQ of the Mini just sounds better to me with nylon strings. In comparison, the bigger Fishmans have more of a mid-range "honk" that I don't care for. Having said all of that... I play my own brand of "flamenco-jazz" on my nylons on that demands a certain crisp, spanky tone. If I was doing fingerstyle, mellow stuff, perhaps I'd prefer the bigger, more mid-rangey models.

Then again... I just recorded a mellow bossa-nova/Brazilian jazz peice last week and played it at last Friday night's gig with the Fishman Mini and was very happy with the tone. http://soundcloud.com/jwflamenco/bossa

Last edited by Red_Label; 04-02-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:17 PM

I've owned Taylor nylon string guitars in the past, and in comparison to a truer classical, there's no comparison. The Taylor's don't provide much volume, but if you're plugging in that wouldn't be a problem. Godin makes great guitars. I would also 2nd checking into Cordoba. I recently purchased a C10 and I couldn't be happier. They have a hybrid crossover model.

http://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/fusion

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 04-03-2013, 12:57 PM

Hi guys, really appreciate your suggestions!

I think I'm going to go with the Godin. At the local bar were I play they have a Cordoba and the sound is to crisp for my taste. Also, according to your comments, the Godin is the way to go for playing live.

BrickGlass, A friend of mine has the Godin Grand Concert model (with the wider nut) and is very responsive when plugged in. Not too classical, but more like a modern nylon sound, like you just said.

Benderman57, I was checking the Rick Turner guitars, the RN-6 looks amazing, but it goes over my budget. I would love to play on.

Red_Label, thanks for the amp recommendations. Thats the next step. I used to have a Roland AC-30, which had an amazing chorus but seemed better suited for steel string (IMO). I will definitely check the Fishman loud box.

Kats45, I checked a Cordoba model at a local bar, one of their thin-line series, and sounded too bright and crisp for my taste (then aging, it was a flamenco model, i think). I have to check one of the classical / crossover models.

My current guitar is a Tacoma Chief C1C and I'll probably end up playing both guitars live. Because of this, I was thinking of getting the Radial ToneBone Pz-Pre, with, I think, simplifies the whole process. Do you guys have any experience with this equipment? Do you know if it adds some color to the sound? I'm also considering a tube preamp. Do you think it is sensible to send a nylon string guitar through a tube preamp?

Again guys, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, really appreciate it.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlotonio View Post
Hi guys, really appreciate your suggestions!

I think I'm going to go with the Godin. At the local bar were I play they have a Cordoba and the sound is to crisp for my taste. Also, according to your comments, the Godin is the way to go for playing live.

BrickGlass, A friend of mine has the Godin Grand Concert model (with the wider nut) and is very responsive when plugged in. Not too classical, but more like a modern nylon sound, like you just said.

Benderman57, I was checking the Rick Turner guitars, the RN-6 looks amazing, but it goes over my budget. I would love to play on.

Red_Label, thanks for the amp recommendations. Thats the next step. I used to have a Roland AC-30, which had an amazing chorus but seemed better suited for steel string (IMO). I will definitely check the Fishman loud box.

Kats45, I checked a Cordoba model at a local bar, one of their thin-line series, and sounded too bright and crisp for my taste (then aging, it was a flamenco model, i think). I have to check one of the classical / crossover models.

My current guitar is a Tacoma Chief C1C and I'll probably end up playing both guitars live. Because of this, I was thinking of getting the Radial ToneBone Pz-Pre, with, I think, simplifies the whole process. Do you guys have any experience with this equipment? Do you know if it adds some color to the sound? I'm also considering a tube preamp. Do you think it is sensible to send a nylon string guitar through a tube preamp?

Again guys, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, really appreciate it.
You'll do well with the Godin, They are really nice guitars and sound great plugged in.

Good luck!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 04-05-2013, 01:34 PM

I actually think I'm going to be getting a Godin myself. I really like the look of the ACS SA Koa Multiac. It doesn't get much prettier than koa wood on a guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
advice, godin multiact, live music, nylon string, ovation