The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2017, 07:04 AM

Default To Service and/or Sell? Dead ES1 2004 Taylor 714CE

I have a 2004 Taylor 714CE that I bought new and use regularly (it is my only guitar). The Expression System (AA battery v1) pick-up system went dead and I’m being told they don’t even service these anymore. Truth be told I like the acoustic sound of this guitar but have always hated the bright and metallic expression system. (Ramble aside I’m upset to spend ANY money on this guitar and am disappointed Taylor doesn’t cover their crap product. We all could debate but I’ll move on…)

I am being told by my reputable shop that I have 2 main options:

*Upgrading to a 2017 ES v2 pick-up system for around $400-500
* Go with an alternative such as a Fishman and plug the control knob holes for around $300

The guitar plays great and sounds wonderful (if you like Taylors) it is cosmetically a bit beat and scratched. The shop recommends going with the Taylor ES2 which will be the easiest to resell saying “upgraded to a 2017 ES2” rather than explain why something different or custom has been done. I’m afraid for $500 I’m still going to hate the way it sounds.

A few questions:
1) Do I play with a removable sound hole for now and figure out later ($200 investment)?
2) Should I go with a solution I’ll be most sound happy with? Such as a Baggs in-hole, or the installed Fishman?
3) If you were going to buy/sell this beat/scratched guitar:
a. Would you prefer keeping it Taylor with the 2017 ES (even if it was now 2027 and they make v4’s)
b. Care if its custom solution, or
c. Prefer AS/IS with the dead ES1 so you can make your own choice.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:24 AM

I responded on my thread.......

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-11-2017, 07:35 AM

Keep it and play it acoustically and buy a new something else when you have the cash. If you decide to sell, you will take a beating. Whoever buys it on the cheap will pop a good pickup in there and be thrilled with it...just sayin'

Or, put in a non-Taylor pickup in it. There are many, many good-sounding options that would make you glad you didn't sell it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-11-2017, 07:40 AM

just because Taylor won't service/support it anymore doesn't mean you can't find a competent local electronics tech to take a look at it. It may be something quite simple to diagnose and fix.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:40 AM

I would try some of the new Taylors with the pickup system. If you like it go for it
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 05-11-2017, 07:41 AM

Depends on how important plugging in is to you.

If YOU'LL get a lot of good use out of new electronics, then you should demo the different solutions and choose the one that you think sounds best.

If you WON'T get much use out of new electronics, then leave it as is and sell it with non-functioning pickup system. You will not get $500 more out of the guitar if upgraded to ES2, as compared to a dead ES1.

I don't know much about "plugging" control knob holes, but if that could be done really nicely, I'd find that a very attractive solution.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
just because Taylor won't service/support it anymore doesn't mean you can't find a competent local electronics tech to take a look at it. It may be something quite simple to diagnose and fix.

That is highly possible, even likely, but if you hate the way the pickup system sounds, why bother?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-11-2017, 07:57 AM

One option I did not see was "Contact Taylor Customer Service because I am the original owner and it should be under warranty."
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 05-11-2017, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
One option I did not see was "Contact Taylor Customer Service because I am the original owner and it should be under warranty."
Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 05-11-2017, 08:22 AM

All great thoughts!!! (Taylor only guarantees the electronics for 2 years and wants to do the ES2 upgrade as well - $300 plus $170 for the round trip)

Leaning to the best solution for ME and if I sold it in another 5 years they can do what ever they want then. Still a great acoustic.

I think a simple Briggs M80 is in my future. Thanks all!
Old 05-11-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzubz View Post
All great thoughts!!! (Taylor only guarantees the electronics for 2 years and wants to do the ES2 upgrade as well - $300 plus $170 for the round trip)

Leaning to the best solution for ME and if I sold it in another 5 years they can do what ever they want then. Still a great acoustic.

I think a simple Briggs M80 is in my future. Thanks all!
That seems like a pretty good idea.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 05-11-2017, 08:38 AM

Personally I'm not a big fan of the new ES system. IMO, you could do a lot better for $500, and a lot of people would be just as happy (for resale) if you had a nice aftermarket pickup installed properly.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:54 AM

I would NEVER let Taylor put an ES2 into one of my guitars, nor buy one with it. (This is not Taylor bashing, as I own nine of them - but NO ES2's). I simply don't like the invasive nature of the ES2 design, with three visible holes through the bridge. Yes, they did well to disguise them, but the holes are still there. And what happens down the road when they no longer support the ES2 system? You won't be able to easily hide the mutilation.

I have played with the ES2 system, and it is OK, but not my cup of tea tonally. I say abandon in place and put in your own K&K pickup -- assuming you need to plug in.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:07 AM

One option your shop didn't tell you is that you can upgrade to the ES 1.3 with AA power source.

This will be the cheapest and least intrusive choice if you want to stick with the Expression System. No extra drilling and your shop can probably do the upgrade in minutes.

Keep in mind that converting from AA to 9V will require enlarging the end pin hole -- that's why I personally would stick with the AA type power source. The only benefit of 9V over AA is arguably longer playing time.
Also, upgrading to the current ES2 system will require drilling holes on the bridge which is very intrusive IMO.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I think I'd go this route. If you like the sound of your 714 selling it, metaphorically, would be like throwing the baby out with the bath water. Without the electronics, you'll take a financial hit for sure.

In terms of the "bright sound" that you don't like, you can darken it quite a bit by flipping the switch on the preamp board on the ES1 system.

Question for Taylor Experts... If you do replace the ES1 with a third party system, how would one deal with the end pin system that Taylor uses on the ES1 and 2? It's not like other systems that just drill a hole and install an endpin with connectors on the interior of the guitar. Would one have to drill an entirely new hole for a jack?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
714ce, expression system, pickup selection, taylor, taylor expression pickup